The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been thinking. I posted this over on the Legion board too. We all have a ton of old gaming miniatures which, lets face it, we're never gonna paint and no one wants to buy. We should really audit our collections. I mean a deep and thorough cleanse of the storage boxes. Anything the least bit questionable is out, for good. Err wholly and completely on the side of "empty space is worth more than stupid little toys". We can probably all get rid of at least a solid dozen or two or three pounds of weird old unidentifiable DnD minis and broken Warhammer bits from failed conversions and stuff. It'll be great, we'll all have so much better organized collections going forward, maybe even clean off some serious shelf space. And it's just stuff anyways, we can't take it with us when we die, better to purge it now so our grandkids don't have that much more junk to figure out what to do with. To really make it stick, so we absolutely cannot walk back this decluttering, we'll all mail them all to one forum member who is good with tools and stuff and has a workspace. We'll have that person melt them down into pot metal. Then we'll take one of those 3D printer Beskar bars and coat it in rubber, to make a mold. We'll pour the pot metal into it and make some real heavy Beskar bars. And we'll give them out to people and say "This is from The Great Purge".
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised this.
Jango Fett would be exiled from the Mandalorian culture.
In Ep. II, he TALKS to Obi-wan without his helmet on, and doesn't seem to wrestle with the potential of exile, so had probably done so before. (to others, obviously)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarossa41 wrote:
I just realised this.
Jango Fett would be exiled from the Mandalorian culture.
In Ep. II, he TALKS to Obi-wan without his helmet on, and doesn't seem to wrestle with the potential of exile, so had probably done so before. (to others, obviously)

Possibly. But it is also possible that Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian. He could just be someone who uses Mandalorian armor, which of course could still be frowned upon by true Mandalorians but not to the extent of a Mandalorian who shows his face to others. The other possibility is, this tradition may not be universal to all clans. Or perhaps not all clans in Jango's era.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see Mandalorians take off their helmets in Rebels. I had assumed that during the Empire there was an additional purge on Mandalorians, and at that point the culture had some kind of cultural reform resulting in a more ossified code of "we don't remove our helmets."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate possibility (suggested by Dredwulf60 here) is that, if Mando culture is part religion, then there will likely be different sub-sects of Mando culture, with what we see in the TV series being an ultra-orthodox one.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious and creed-based organizations are hardly homogeneous, so that seems pretty reasonably too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Religious and creed-based organizations are hardly homogeneous, so that seems pretty reasonably too.

And by extension, the idea of bands of Mandalorians fighting to death over minor doctrinal differences, never mind the major ones...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
cheshire wrote:

And by extension, the idea of bands of Mandalorians fighting to death over minor doctrinal differences, never mind the major ones...

Yep.
Deathwatch vs Supercommandos was a big one in Legends.

In regards to Cheshire's point; if the Imperial purge helping to create/ re-create/ or strengthen the taboo against helmet removal;

In a secular version of this, in my mandalorian-based game, the players' clan has realized that when they do illegal things all the victims/ witnesses see are mandalorians.

It makes it very difficult to know who is actually under that armor, for the same reasons that bank robbers wear disguises.
If a culture is suffering from a pogrom it becomes important to become faceless so that the hunters can't gauge how successful they are being.

This is interesting to me due to the allusion in the show that the mandos were all remaining underground and only one of them could go into public at a time. Since you don't know who is under the helmet...it could be just one guy who keeps wearing different gear, or 200 who share a couple sets of gear to seem like only a dozen people or 200 individuals who are seen from time to time.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian Season 2 speculation Reply with quote

The Mandalorian Season 2 Will Reportedly Explain How Palpatine Returned

Ugh. I'll be mad if they use The Child's midi-chlorians or some crap to bring Palpatine back to life. But really, just even referring to the "sequel trilogy" would be a stain on the TV series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of gathered that they used the child's genetic material for Palpatine already... As soon as I saw Imperial Scientists going after a member of Yoda's species, I figured that they were gonna go there.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Mandalorian Season 2 speculation Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Mandalorian Season 2 Will Reportedly Explain How Palpatine Returned

Ugh. I'll be mad if they use The Child's midi-chlorians or some crap to bring Palpatine back to life. But really, just even referring to the "sequel trilogy" would be a stain on the TV series.

I told you

Still they have to keep it secret. 30 yrs later everone was shocked as the Emperor return. Everyone.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Oldman is awesome.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife and I have started watching. I'm enjoying it, obviously, but I'm also in love with how much she's enjoying it... she's not a Star Wars fan, in general, so her liking it is great.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Wife and I have started watching. I'm enjoying it, obviously, but I'm also in love with how much she's enjoying it... she's not a Star Wars fan, in general, so her liking it is great.

My wife and son loved it. (My wife is a more moderate Star Wars fan, but she says she likes all of the movies except II and III.) I thought The Mandalorian was pretty good. It was better than I thought it would be. Definitely the best television Star Wars product ever made.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

My wife and son loved it. (My wife is a more moderate Star Wars fan, but she says she likes all of the movies except II and III.) I thought The Mandalorian was pretty good. It was better than I thought it would be. Definitely the best television Star Wars product ever made.

We were discussing it, and it is definitely a Western, but more of a Clint Eastwood western than her main fandom, Firefly/Serenity, which I'd almost class a Wagon Train Western... serialized stories following the same characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 6 of 33

Jump to: