The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Star Wars Episode IX: The Emperor's New Groove over a Matt Smith as the Son plotline.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for me to know where to go from here, episode 9 was just so wrong. I just don't understand what was going on with the sequels, at all. However, I guess it's still better than what was supposedly in George Lucas interview about turning microscopic, going inside a body, and meeting some Midichlorians.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'd take Star Wars Episode IX: The Emperor's New Groove over a Matt Smith as the Son plotline.

I'm not saying I like it, but living embodiments of the various aspects of the Force (Force gods, effectively) arguably make more sense than the jumbled, derivative mess we ended up with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I'm not saying I like it, but living embodiments of the various aspects of the Force (Force gods, effectively) arguably make more sense than the jumbled, derivative mess we ended up with.

"Making sense" left the station awhile back. Well before the sequels came out.

They'll put quite literally anyone in charge of anything these days, so I'm not surprised they let JJ Abrams cap off the trilogy of trilogies with something that bad. I am trying hard to hate this movie but it's just so bad. Serious problems could have been solved instead of wasting those millions of dollars making that puerile nonsense.

There's a fine line between "rule of cool" and just being a laughing stock. In my opinion, he crossed it.

That's without getting into the numerous pointless side threads. He seriously seems to have designed this to make sure we'd tune in next Thursday night to see what happens with the Knights of Ren/The Love Interest/Whatever and didn't have it written like a movie at all. I'm kind of in shock about how badly this ended.

I feel like I was waiting all my life for my sportsball team to win the big championship. Then the night before the game the owners dissolved the team or something.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Star Wars IX: Duel of the Fates Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
IMO, this topic is more appropriate for the speculation page...

I’ve heard a few rumors that tie into an interesting “What might’ve been” for the sequels.
    1). Apparently, George Lucas had an outline of the sequels, including a concept of meeting the “beings who embody the Force.”

2). The persistent rumors that Matt Smith had an important character in TRoS.
Specifically, I’ve heard a rumor that Matt Smith was going to play the Son, from the Clone Wars arc of the Force Wielders of Mortis.

Now, I have to say, I thought that arc was one of the silliest in a show that had some truly silly moments. And yet, the concept would seem to at least somewhat parallel Lucas’ own thoughts.

And even if it is silly, is it any more silly than what we got?

This is (allegedly) the original Star Wars Episode IX plot by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly

I have not sought out the actual alleged leaked script myself but I read some of this summary earlier today. There is nothing about the Son specifically in this, but I guess Mortis was involved.

This could be an elaborate SuperShadow style hoax. But sometime after Kennedy said that it was "always" the plan for Palpatine to return, Colin Trevorrow went on record to contradict that by stating Palpatine was not going to return in his version. (In this plot summary, Palpatine is seen only in an old hologram message sent to Vader.) I have read the suggestion that Trevorrow may have even secretly leaked the script himself to show everyone what they could have gotten had his involvement in Star Wars worked out with Lucasfilm. Supposedly things began to go sour when he met with Kennedy to discuss rewrites after Carrie Fisher died. Abrams said that absolutely no elements from the original script was used in his Episode IX, but according to this both versions have Mustafar. Well, it's not explicitly in TRoS. That could be the loophole to be technically true, he could have been false, or this alleged original script could be a fake. This is all speculation.

It think it is at least possible the leaked script may have been real. This story may have been silly too, but this seems less contradictory to the rest of the saga than what we got. I thought it was funny to read about Ghost Luke haunting Kylo Ben. With that film title (and a Darth Maul droid??), it may have been intention to reprise the "Duel of the Fates" music theme, which I would have loved. I also love the idea of a lot of the story taking place on Coruscant. And I almost definitely would have liked them forgoing another redemption story and just having Kylo Ren be the main villain who is defeated.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I feel like I was waiting all my life for my sportsball team to win the big championship. Then the night before the game the owners dissolved the team or something.

LOL. I don't know if you are a sports fan of any kind, but somehow I doubt you had that high of hopes for TRoS going into it.

For me, TLJ set the bar low so I really don't feel that disappointed with TRoS, despite my low opinions of it. I wished for an overall more entertaining movie than TLJ, and I (just barely) got it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

LOL. I don't know if you are a sports fan of any kind, but somehow I doubt you had that high of hopes for TRoS going into it.

For me, TLJ set the bar low so I really don't feel that disappointed with TRoS, despite my low opinions of it. I wished for an overall more entertaining movie than TLJ, and I (just barely) got it.

I had that high of hopes for a sequel trilogy in general, and that Disney would do a great job with it. I'd been waiting since ROTJ for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: