The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Nien Nunb Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels. The animation style repels me for some reason. I literally feel a compulsion to avert my gaze when they're on.

I will give the actual cartoon Clone Wars a chance somday. But since it's not on D+... well, one more hurdle. I found a DVD of volume 2 at a second store the other day! But it was shrink wrapped and worth too much money to keep. It sold within hours of posting on eBay.

All 6 seasons of Clone Wars is on Disney Plus, I was just watching it to refresh myself for the new season.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Nien Nunb Reply with quote

TheEvilDM wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

I've never seen Clone Wars or Rebels. The animation style repels me for some reason. I literally feel a compulsion to avert my gaze when they're on.

I will give the actual cartoon Clone Wars a chance somday. But since it's not on D+... well, one more hurdle. I found a DVD of volume 2 at a second store the other day! But it was shrink wrapped and worth too much money to keep. It sold within hours of posting on eBay.

All 6 seasons of Clone Wars is on Disney Plus, I was just watching it to refresh myself for the new season.

I am talking about two different shows. One of which is not on D+. The other of which hurts my eyes. I will eventually get around to watching (or at least trying to watch) Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003) not to be confused with Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008).

However, it is highly unlikely that anything derived from a prequel will pass my muster. But I'll give it a chance someday.

Rebels animation also pushes my eyes away from the TV so I won't be watching that anytime soon.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Nien Nunb Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://twitter.com/FandomWikis/status/1215047672098213888

RIP Nien Nunb, another Hero of Endor killed offscreen in the Disney Trilogy.

While piloting Tantive IV - another iconic symbol of Saga destroyed off screen.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Nien Nunb Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
https://twitter.com/FandomWikis/status/1215047672098213888

RIP Nien Nunb, another Hero of Endor killed offscreen in the Disney Trilogy.

While piloting Tantive IV - another iconic symbol of Saga destroyed off screen.

Right. I don't think it was explicit in the film that it was the Tantive IV, but the effect is the same when they say something happened in the continuity of the film but it is not shown in the film. It was Tantive IV, and they say it was destroyed offscreen killing Nien Nunb.

It really doesn't enhance the movie that these things happened offscreen, and they could have left these things open ended to not railroad canon-minded fans. The fact that they they did this must mean that it was in the original script or even filmed (with or without completed effect) but it got cut from the film and the supporting publishing still reflects the facts of the cut material. Like Lando having a child that had been abducted by the First Order. Having this continuity cut from the film but still occurring does not help the movie, and it just p!sses fans off that legacy stuff is just carelessly disregarded.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode VII: Plagiarize the Past
Episode VIII: Let the Past Die
Episode IX: Why Not Both?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Episode VII: Plagiarize the Past
Episode VIII: Let the Past Die
Episode IX: Why Not Both?

Yeah, that's the best sum-up of the Sequel Trilogy I've seen so far.

My personal sum up is kinda like this:

Episode VII: It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so much like ANH.
Episode VIII: It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't kill off Luke.
Episode IX: It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for those 2 dozen plot holes.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Nien Nunb Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Having this continuity cut from the film but still occurring does not help the movie, and it just p!sses fans off that legacy stuff is just carelessly disregarded.

Unfortunately, as much as I love complaining on internet forums, the truth is that I am jaded to the point of indestructibility at this point. I think my feelings are best described by Shel Silverstein's The Devil and Billy Markham. When challenged in a diner to roll a 13 on two blank dice by the devil, the protagonist says:

"He11, I've played in tougher games.
I've loved ambitious women and I've rode on wheelless trains.
So gimme some room, you stinkin' fiend, and let it all unwind.
Nobody's ever rolled a thirteen yet, but this just might be the time."

So Star Wars has become a disastrous self-parody? Whatever. I've played in tougher games.

And Billy Markham shakes the dice and yells, "Come on, thirteen!"
And the dice, they roll - and they come up blank. "You lose!" the Devil screams.
"I must say 'fore we go our way that I really do like your style.
Of all the fools I've played and beat, you're the first one who lost with a smile."
"Well, I'll tell you somethin', " Billy Markham says. "Those odds weren't too d@mn bad.
In fourteen years on Music Row, that's the best d@mn chance I've had."
Then, arm in arm, Billy Markham and the Devil walk out through Linebaugh's door,
Leavin' Billy's old beat-up guitar there on the floor.
And if you go into Linebaugh's now, you can see it there today
Hangin' from a nail on the wall of peelin' gray
It's Billy Markham's old guitar
That nobody dares to play.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why isn't everyone debating which Knight of Ren was the best one? They were all so fascinating and added so much to the movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So, why isn't everyone debating which Knight of Ren was the best one? They were all so fascinating and added so much to the movie.

I would say the best one was Sir Not Appearing In This Film.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Knight of Ren Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

I would say the best one was Sir Not Appearing In This Film.

For me I would have to say it is a toss up between JC and Justin. JC has an amazing voice but Justin is just so dreamy!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Abrams has stated that his premise for the sequel trilogy was based on, 'What if Nazi war criminals survived WWII and went to South America where they built up their power base?'

Well TRoS is, 'Oh yeah, by the way, I never mentioned it before but Hitler somehow came back to life. How? That's not important.'
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So Abrams has stated that his premise for the sequel trilogy was based on, 'What if Nazi war criminals survived WWII and went to South America where they built up their power base?'

Well TRoS is, 'Oh yeah, by the way, I never mentioned it before but Hitler somehow came back to life. How? That's not important.'

Connections matter far more than ability. Most people don't know it, but Abrams was born into show business connections which started his career very early. I think if his parents had been retailers we'd never have heard of him.

Thanks to the worst elements of humanity getting access to a very big microphone, any legitimate criticism is decried as being from the "toxic fanbase". But the truth is, Disney handed arguably the best product of post-war American cinema over to some very bad stewards.

In reference to the sequel trilogy overall, I cannot fathom the entitled hubris it took to do this to the final Star Wars trilogy.

From the prequels to the sequels, Star Wars has been a very harsh lesson for me in the danger of loving a thing that is owned by someone.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Connections matter far more than ability. Most people don't know it, but Abrams was born into show business connections which started his career very early. I think if his parents had been retailers we'd never have heard of him.

Thanks to the worst elements of humanity getting access to a very big microphone, any legitimate criticism is decried as being from the "toxic fanbase". But the truth is, Disney handed arguably the best product of post-war American cinema over to some very bad stewards.

In reference to the sequel trilogy overall, I cannot fathom the entitled hubris it took to do this to the final Star Wars trilogy.

From the prequels to the sequels, Star Wars has been a very harsh lesson for me in the danger of loving a thing that is owned by someone.

I can vouch for Clone Wars. It is pretty slick fast-paced entertainment, if you look at it from the point of view of fairy tales being told about the Jedi that have grown with re-telling. (The Jedi are depicted as literal super-heroes).

I too very much dislike the wooden marionette-style animation of THE Clone Wars...to the point that I could never stomach more than a half dozen episodes. People say the stories are good, but I just can't get past the fact that the people look so...bad.

As for the ST;
Hey, remember when Lucas said he felt like he had sold Star Wars to white slavers??
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

As for the ST;
Hey, remember when Lucas said he felt like he had sold Star Wars to white slavers??

No I missed that. But I felt like Lucas was a neglectful parent to his creation prior to the sale, too.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I felt like Lucas was a neglectful parent to his creation prior to the sale

Indeed. It only took three years after his film saga was complete for him to start contradicting it with TCW.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: