The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Military
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Imperial Military Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might boil down to attributes and the differnce between 2e 1e and 2reup

Now in 1D and the oldest 2e books many human NPCS have 1D attributes, imperial crew are some, regular guy on the street is another.

However both 2e and 2 reup alos have the alien encounter book, with the huma listed with a MINIMUM of 2D all over and a maximum of 4D.

This book is not only meant to make PCS it is to actually look up starts as well.

Now with the human minumum being 2D (not the average as is stated) then neither a 4D or a a 3D attribute is particularly "impreassive"

if then look up most NPC we see at least in 2e and 2 reup scourses an attribute range from 15-18 with 2D being the base Minimum.

so with a 1D human a 3D stomie is AWESOME, a 2D is "average" and a 4D is just WOW!.

But with the books listing humans with 2D as the minimum, then 3D in one or more attributes is not all very special, and a 4D is less WOW, but still very very good.

So to me the power and the "skill" of the stomtroopers maybe boils down to what is the minimum attribute and thus skill default for a npc, and should I ignore the stats given in listing of species where humans have a flat 2D minimum and recuce this to 1D and thus have the troopers be what they maybe was supposed tobe.

I strongly suspect that when 2e and 2reup made humas 2D minimum they forgot to BOOST the stormtroopers acordingly, id we look to the standard write up it is not very "powerful" on a 2D minimum.

A scout tropper is flat 2D with 3D mechanics and 3D dex.
Standard troopers are 3D dex

Now if 1D is minimum this is good stats, if 2D is minimum this is not very impressive at all.

if 2D is average then as should be the scouts are a cut above the troopers, but still they are at best 1D over average, this is nothing less than I would expect any soldier to be, and I would expect the elite to have a minimum at least somewhat above this.

Maybe have a standard human at 12D, a general tropper at 14 D, scout at 15 and commando level at 16D, with guards being at par with PCs with 1D to attributes, this could maybe make things a little more in line with the scourses, as this would imo make troopers far more dangerous and give them a more realistic power level.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm just annoyed that the elite shock troops are used for literally everything. If they're elite, shouldn't they make up more like 10% or so of the forces? One thing I've noticed about Star Wars is, they LOVE to use the word "elite". It's pretty much the goto adjective. Kinda like how their favorite rank is "general".

I think it's 1984ish of Disney to Legendize the old imperial army infantry over a few minutes of SOLO screentime showing a uniform variant. Worse, is that they say the army infantry was gradually replaced by stormtroopers. If stormtroopers are the most common, they aren't elite anymore, by definition.

True, we should see Army troopers a lot more than stormies..
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, the verbage is "cannot be bribed, seduced or BLACKMAILED".

2D is not the racial minimum. Therefore, the stats make sense unless you want to re-write the whole game. But if everyone's stats increase, no one's do.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm just annoyed that the elite shock troops are used for literally everything. If they're elite, shouldn't they make up more like 10% or so of the forces? One thing I've noticed about Star Wars is, they LOVE to use the word "elite". It's pretty much the goto adjective. Kinda like how their favorite rank is "general".

I think it's 1984ish of Disney to Legendize the old imperial army infantry over a few minutes of SOLO screentime showing a uniform variant. Worse, is that they say the army infantry was gradually replaced by stormtroopers. If stormtroopers are the most common, they aren't elite anymore, by definition.

True, we should see Army troopers a lot more than stormies..

Yeah, and if you reference the old West End Games books (with pictures), they put a lot more Army Troopers in things than Stormtroopers. It made a bigger impact when the white shapes of Stormtroopers showed up. There was even a run of comics that emphasized Army Troopers in a number of their issues.

It's been video games and the last 10 years that have shifted all troops actions to be Stormtroopers only.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed w/ a combination of what CRMcNeill, MamaTried, Whill and others have already said.

Compared to your average non-heroic 12D NPC, stormtroopers will outclass them fairly easily, and this alone accounts for a lot of the discrepancy. In fact, I have a PC in the game I'm GMing now who is playing a "normal" 12D attribute character amongst the other 18D attribute heroes, and this character is already in dire straits against stormtroopers. It's actually been fairly fun to run their interaction.

That coupled with the Imperial Propaganda aspect, of the galaxy at large being told the troopers are elite, that they are "impossible" to bribe and bargain with, etc, really goes a decent way toward reconciling the reputation with the stats.

(Moved this comment from the "Stormtroopers and Intimidation" thread. That's what I get for having multiple browser tabs open at once, haha.)

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: