The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Telsij wrote:
persuasion: benchside manner 5D+1

Nice!

Thanks! He *was* rather nice/friendly to Threepio throughout and upon their post-wipe "first" meeting after all!

Whill wrote:
I feel ya regarding Threepio. His heroic sacrifice of all his memories is not only dramatically weak because they played Threepio for laughs, but he later gets his memories back (except for of his adventure) at the end of the movie. In fact at the scene he eventually agrees to the procedure, his memory backups are mentioned and Threepio just discounts them as unreliable. When I was watching the film the first time, I knew from that line he was going to get his memories back.

In this film that I have so many issues with, I choose to see every possible positive I possibly can in it. I'm still happy that Threepio got to go on the mission (while sad Artoo was left behind as usual). And Threepio was the center of a lot of the film's humor. In this film, Threepio is probably my favorite existing character.

Babu Frik is definitely my favorite new character in TRoS. If you accept the tone of Threepio's role in the film, then it is easy to love Babu Frik. Thanks for doing him. Babu Frik definitely exists in my SWU.

Agreed! In a film where macguffins are introduced at a breakneck pace — only to have the stakes/consequences rendered moot or forgotten minutes later, it was in keeping with my other qualms about it.

I minded the pacing's inability to let dramatic moments soak in *much* less on my second viewing however. And there were things about the film I did rather like: for example, I thought the "Bendemption" / Han Solo scene, was effective and moving. And I also thought TRoS Threepio was the funniest he'd been in a long time too.

But yes, he was *definitely* getting his memories back. They could've played it for more emotion, etc, or at the very least made the "stakes" feel greater. Alas!

Whill wrote:
You didn't include my favorite Babu Frik quote (see video below): "Droid rememory go blank. Blank-blank."

https://youtu.be/TLJVKqrSFj4?t=46

It was my favorite quote of his too! But I wasn't certain if the word in that line was "black" or "blank", so I left the quote out.

Thank you for the video link! Upon repeated close listens just now, it's definitely "blank." So Quote #1 has now been added! Very Happy

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Whill wrote:
You didn't include my favorite Babu Frik quote (see video below): "Droid rememory go blank. Blank-blank."

https://youtu.be/TLJVKqrSFj4?t=46

It was my favorite quote of his too! But I wasn't certain if the word in that line was "black" or "blank", so I left the quote out.

Thank you for the video link! Upon repeated close listens just now, it's definitely "blank."

Thank you for double checking my interpretation.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

Apologies for being MIA of late. RL has been very busy/hectic — but in a good way.

Am video-editing a project whose deadline is early July, and the tabletop game I did the artwork for has been released / is now available! Very Happy

And so, with a few Obscure Character drafts already in the works, I should be back w/ character updates mid/late Summer. See you all then!

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: GREEF KARGA Reply with quote

Hey, Mando!

SPOILERS FOR THE MANDALORIAN!

As ol' Carl Weathers' character here was already nearly done, am making a brief reappearance with GREEF KARGA, rep for the Bounty Hunters' Guild and disgraced magistrate, from The Mandalorian live-action series.

This *should* take care of The Mandalorian's recurring cast for now, though some of the minor players are still upcoming — when time-crunched schedule allows!

GREEF KARGA
Type: Agent of the Guild

Quotes:
  • "Ah! Mando!"
    — Greef Karga greets Din Djarin.

• "The Empire is gone, Mando. All that are left are mercenaries and warlords."

• "They all hate you, Mando. Because you're a legend!"
    — Karga to Djarin, after the latter successfully secures the Asset for the Client while many others failed.

• "I didn't want it to come to this. But then you broke the code."
    — Karga to Djarin, as the latter attempts to escape with the Child.

• "So, this little bogwing is what all the fuss was about. What a precious little creature!
    I can see why you didn't want to harm a hair on its wrinkled little head."

— Karga, inspects the "Asset" / Child.

• "Let's make the baby do the magic hand thing. Come on, Baby! Do the magic hand thing."
    — With their situation desperate, Karga tries to think of a way to combat Moff Gideon's TIE attack.

• "Nevarro is a very fine planet. And now that the scum and villainy have been washed away, it's very respectable again."

• "Some of my favorite people are bounty hunters."

(As of The Mandalorian Season One)

DEXTERITY 3D+1
Blaster 6D, blaster: heavy blaster pistol 6D+2, brawling parry 5D, dodge 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+2
Alien species 5D, bureaucracy 6D+2, bureaucracy: Bounty Hunters’ Guild 8D,
business 5D, business: bounty hunting 6D+1, intimidation 5D, languages 5D,
law enforcement 4D+2, planetary systems 5D, streetwise 7D+2, streetwise:
Bounty Hunters’ Guild 9D, survival 4D+2, value 5D+2, willpower 4D+1
MECHANICAL 2D
Astrogation 4D, communications 4D+2, repulsorlift operation 3D+2,
sensors 4D+2, space transports 3D+2, starship gunnery 4D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Bargain 6D+2, command 5D+2, command: Guild Bounty Hunters 7D+1,
con 5D+2, investigation 4D, persuasion 5D+2, search 4D+2, sneak 4D
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 5D, brawling: boxing 5D+2, climbing/jumping 4D+1,
lifting 4D+2, stamina 5D+1
TECHNICAL 2D
Blaster repair 4D, computer programming/repair 4D+2, security 5D+1

Species: Human

Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 1
Character Points: 10
Move: 10

Story Factors:
  • Disgraced Magistrate: Not much is known about the leaders of the Bounty Hunter's Guild, though Greef Karga can certainly count himself among their ranks. However, what *is* known to some, about Karga himself, is that the man was once a government official as well. And though the position of magistrate exists in various planetary and galactic governments, based upon Moff Gideon's strategically revealing comments, it appears that Karga may have worked for the Empire. Exactly why Karga vacated his position in disgrace is yet unknown. Whatever the act, Karga either left the Empire on his own, or was dismissed. Karga's experience with "hostile negotiations" and diplomacy (two-fisted or otherwise) then allowed him to secure a leadership role within the Bounty Hunter's Guild, a role that had allowed him to operate outside the parameters of the Empire, then within the legal framework of the New Republic after the Empire's fall.

Capsule: As an agent of the Bounty Hunters Guild, Greef Karga secured bounty hunters in pursuit of valuable and rare quarries in the galaxy. And as an agent of the Bounty Hunter's Guild, Greef Karga held a fair amount of influence in the Outer Rim underworld. Armed with the gift of gab and a knack for diplomacy, Karga was able to keep even the rough and tumble crowd of Guild bounty hunters in line. One of the Guild's most successful hunters? A man he knew only as "the Mandalorian."

"There is one job."
"Let's see the puck."
"No puck. Face to face. Direct commission. Deep pocket."
― Greef Karga and Din Djarin, on his new quarry.

It was for "Mando" then that Karga offered a profitable but mysterious bounty, an ex-Imperial Client whose desired quarry had no chain-code that could be divulged, just an age, location and tracking fob. The Mandalorian's eventual success at capturing this asset then became Karga's success, as both men profited mightily in the form of Mandalorian beskar as payment.

"They're all weighing the beskar in their minds, but not me. No. I for one, I celebrate your success, because it is my success as well. Hell, even I'm rich," said Karga.

It was all the more disappointing then, when Mando reneged on his word, returning to retrieve the asset after accepting payment. Of the Guild's few tenets, asking no questions was one. Karga didn't ask, and in his view, neither should Mando.

Nonetheless, thanks to a harrowing escape aided by the Mandalorian's Tribe, the bounty hunter eluded Karga's capture. Karga himself would have been killed by a bolt from the Mandalorian's blaster — if not for the beskar Karga had kept tucked in his tunic. Unfortunately, that escape brought the might of Imperial remnants down upon the planet Nevarro.

And so, a trap was planned. A trap to lure the Mandalorian back and to claim the Child. The Client appeared willing to move forward with an exchange for the Child, provided that the Mandalorian was captured and the "Asset" in question was returned. And upon meeting the Mando out in the barrens of Nevarro however, Karga and his bodyguards remained at tense odds with Mando's assembled entourage. However, after sustaining a serious injury during that night's camp, Karga experienced a change of heart. His wound was miraculously healed by the Child — with a touch from what Karga would later dub "the magic hand thing." And so, forming an alliance with the Mandalorian, Cara Dune, and the Ugnaught Kuiil, Karga agrees to aid the bounty hunter in fending off the Imperials once and for all.

After the Client is shockingly murdered by Moff Gideon's forces, it is revealed that Karga was once a Magistrate, a *disgraced* magistrate. Exactly how this came to pass in unknown, but upon his departure Karga clearly used his skills to secure a position within (and perhaps atop) the Bounty Hunters' Guild. Still hope seemed lost against Gideon's superior forces, until the sudden arrival of 1G-11 turns the tide. After a harrowing battle and journey along the lava river beneath the city, Karga and his allies emerge victorious and he is able resume his duties as agent of the Guild. Karge even offers Dune a role as his enforcer, while offering Mando a warm, standing welcome from the Guild whenever it is that their paths might cross again....

"And when you're ready to return, you'll have the pick of all quarries."
"I'm afraid I have more pressing matters at hand."
"Take care of this little one."
"Or maybe, it'll take care of you."

― Greef Karga, Din Djarin, and Cara Dune part ways... for now.

Equipment: Beskar bars (+3D vs. blunt/concussive physical, +4D vs. edged/vibro physical, +3D+2 vs. energy, +4D vs. energy if is fired upon from distances of 200 meters or greater), cache of bounty pucks and tracking fobs (pucks contain information on criminal record and credit amount of bounty posted; fobs contain a given target's "chain code" of identifying characteristics), comlink, dual holo-transceiver, holsters and utility belt, leather gloves, leather vest (+1 vs. edged physical damage; covers torso only; interior breast pockets contain sufficient space to carry two bars of beskar), modified pair of Blas-Steyr M1912 heavy blaster pistols (5D+1 damage, range: 5-10/25/50, ammo: 25; game notes: Ventilated heat shield along barrel is constructed in such a way as to reduce potential issues with blaster gas delivery and to avoid malfunctions; in game terms, user may ignore one wild die induced misfire/mishap related to Blas-Steyr M1912 per session), shoulder cape (+1D to Hide attempts, or to certain Sneak attempts — such as moving hands to holstered pistols with back turned).

Sources: The Mandalorian live-action series, https://www.starwars.com/databank/greef-karga , Wookieepedia, https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-show-greef-karga-carl-weathers-origin-explained/ , https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/greef-karga-blaster-mandalorian-season-1-episode-8.307118/ , and http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Mandalorian,_The_-_Season_1 . First paragraph of capsule text is adapted from databank entry, with additional phrasing adapted from screenrant article. Images: Cropped character promotional poster, https://www.starwars.com/databank/greef-karga , and screen captures from The Mandalorian live-action series. Stats and text by Telsij.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: IKA SULKO Reply with quote

Annnd one more entry, so that we're back "On Brand" with a genuinely obscure character, before I have to disappear back into the aether!

I was always fond of the Mon Calamari pilot from Return of the Jedi's "cutting room floor pilots" deleted scenes. Now years later, like "Fake Wedge", who was finally given an identity of his own — COL TAKBRIGHT, whom I statted HERE (link to PDF) — our Mon Cala pala was finally named *and* given a tiny hint of ability/backstory in 2019's Star Wars: Rebel Starfighters: Owners' Workshop Manual. Here then is IKA SULKO!

And to see his "scenes" (with some of the cheekier on-set lines, like "Fried calamari tonight" and "That's the last time I fly Lucas Airways"), his footage for RotJ is HERE (YouTube video).

And for an *old* take on one of the other pilots from the deleted, the "Granny" A-wing pilot, whom I wrote-up in 2015 as an older version of a Bravo Squadron pilot from The Phantom Menace is HERE (link to PDF).

Note: In much the same way that Momaw Nadon has a MEC score that exceeds the well-travelled Ithorian specie's dubious RAW MEC max of 2D, the Death in the Undercity adventure module gave a MEC die code of 4D to their Mon Cala Pilot template, exceeding their RAW max of 3D+1. With a 3D+1 maximum too low, imho (though I know a bit of this is mitigated by the moist environment bonus), for a spacefaring species of such stalwart shipwrights, I generally consider Mon Cala MEC max to be 4D.

IKA SULKO
Type: Mon Calamari Pilot

Quotes:
  • "I copy. Moving into position."
  • "It's a heavy fire zone down there."
  • "I'm on the leader."

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 3D, brawling parry 4D, dodge 4D, running 4D+2,
vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Planetary systems 3D+2, survival: ocean/undersea 5D
MECHANICAL 4D
Repulsorlift operation 5D+2, starfighter piloting 6D,
starfighter piloting: B-wing 7D, starship gunnery 5D+2
PERCEPTION 2D+1
Search 4D+1
STRENGTH 3D
Climbing/jumping 4D+2, stamina 3D+2, swimming 6D
TECHNICAL 3D+1
First aid: self-diagnose 4D+1, starfighter repair 3D+2,
starfighter repair: B-wing 4D+1

Species: Mon Calamari
Character Points: 9
Move: 9

Special Abilities and Story Factors:
  • Aquatic: Mon Calamari can breathe both air and water, and can withstand extreme pressures found in ocean depths.

• Dry Environments: When in arid environments, Mon Calamari become depressed and withdrawn. They suffer a -1D penalty to all Dexterity, Perception, and Strength attribute and skill checks. This is a psychological effect only.

• Innate Kinesthetic Sense: Ika Sulko possessed an acute awareness of the positions and movements of his skeletal joints, and of the tension and compression of the muscles in his body. This keen sensitivity to sensory input within and upon the body, as well as how his posture and position affected said input, granted Sulko finer spatial awareness than many of his brethren, in addition to a greater ability to adapt to disorienting conditions.

In game terms, Sulko gains a +2D bonus to any skill or attribute check required to determine his position relative to his surroundings, even in darkness. In addition, he may re-roll any failed checks required to resist disorientation, or other similar effects caused by changes in position and movement. He must accept the second result however, regardless of the roll's outcome.

• Moist Environments: When in moist environments, Mon Calamari receive a +1D bonus to all Dexterity, Perception, and Strength attribute and skill checks. This is a purely psychological advantage.

Capsule: Ika Sulko wanted nothing more than to fly amongst the stars. Yet, oddly enough, it was in space that he felt most like he was undersea.

Although the Mon Calamari were long heralded for their shipwrights’ prowess, Sulko felt most at home in the cockpit of a starfighter. No matter how vast the oceans were on his homeworld, in the end they were still finite. Space on the other hand? In space, there was *always* a new frontier, a new horizon.

But with the Empire's conquest of Mon Cala, this chance would not come freely, nor would much of anything else under Imperial subjugation. And so, Sulko looked to the stars — and chased them.

Thanks to the influence of Admirals Raddus and Ackbar, Sulko soon found himself in the company of those who would ensure that anyone, regardless of species, could be afforded the same opportunity to chase the horizon. Soon, he found himself with the Rebellion. And in time, he found himself fighting against the Empire above a forest moon, in the decisive Battle of Endor. Because time was short and timing was of the essence, Sulko had to leap into the fray wearing a flight suit borrowed from Green Squadron. Fortunately for Sulko — and unfortunately for his opponents, the Mon Calamari pilot still flew his starfighter of choice.

Fittingly, it was in the design of a fellow Mon Calamari, in the cockpit of Quarrie's "Blade Wing" assault fighter that Sulko found his home away from home. The Blade Wing’s gyroscopic cockpit caused disorientation in some, but not to Sulko. Instead the Mon Calamari found that the swirling churn of stars that sickened some rookies instead reminded him of the waters of his homeworld.

Sulko, more than his Mon Cala brethren, was keenly aware of his own body and his surroundings — and of his ever-changing place in them. Sulko was aware of each limb, each digit, each extremity — *and* its position, both undersea *and* in space. Were Sulko a religious man he might’ve called this feeling of connectedness... the Force.

Whatever the explanation — mystical, biological, or otherwise, it was while at the helm of a B-wing starfighter that Ika Sulko felt as though he were immersed in the swirling seas of home....

Equipment: B-wing starfighter, Green Squadron vacuum suit (provides 10 hours worth of atmosphere. A player character in space must make a Moderate stamina or Strength check every hour or he or she is exposed to vacuum or suffer a wound caused by the freezing cold of space), medpac, Mon Calamari flight helmet (+1D vs. physical, +2 vs. energy; covers head — but not face — only; equipped with comlink), SoroSuub X-30 "Lancer" target blast pistol (3D+1 damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 50).

Sources: Star Wars: Rebel Starfighters: Owners' Workshop Manual (p.45), https://www.fanthatracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/RS7.jpg , Return of the Jedi film (deleted scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4&feature=youtu.be&t=233 ), Wookieepedia, Death in the Undercity WEG adventure module (source for Mon Calamari Pilot template), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4&feature=youtu.be&t=233 .
Images: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ika_Sulko , https://www.coleka.com/en/collector-action-figures/star-wars-action-figures/the-vintage-collection/rebel-pilot-mon-calamari_i2755 (photo by Dan Emmons), and https://www.bluemilkspecial.com/comic/meet-si-mon-calamari/ . Stats and text by Telsij.

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing him. That action figure kinda looks like a custom Mon Cal figure I made back in the last 90s. IIRC I used parts from Biggs Darklighter and Admiral Ackbar, with a helmet from a Mon Cal officer. I painted the orange in the flight suit green. Cool.

One of the reasons we Earth humans have good mechanical is from having binocular vision which our biological ancestors used for brachiation. I agree RAW is too low for Mon Cal, but in my book their eyes give them a slightly inferior max attribute than humans. But my game is based on Humans having a max of 4D+1 in all attributes, so Mon Cals have a 4D max Mechanical.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: DOCTOR APHRA Reply with quote

Hey, all!

As TV broadcast/post-production has (apparently) been deemed an essential service, work and hazarding my commute via public transport has kept me very busy and away from the forum for no longer than I'd like — something likely to continue for some time still.

HOWEVER, in light of Volume II of this character's comic book series launching last month, OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents stats and write-up for Star Wars' own Indiana Jones, DOCTOR CHELLI LONA APHRA!

With the Aphra comics responsible for introducing one of my favorite characters MAGNA TOLVAN into canon, statting up the title's lead was long overdue.

Okay, back into the shadows with me. Stay safe, all! MTFBWY.

DOCTOR APHRA
Type: Rogue Archaeologist

Quotes:
  • "You know, you can trust me, but you shouldn't."

• "Archaeology is just grave robbing with fancy paperwork. And I've got debts to pay."

• "I'm not sick! I just... I get things wrong. I'm selfish. I... I use people. But… I don't expect to sleep well. Ever."

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 4D+2, dodge 6D, pick pocket 5D+2, running 5D
KNOWLEDGE 4D
Alien species 9D, cultures 9D, languages 7D, planetary systems 6D, planetary systems: Outer Rim 9D,
scholar: archaeology 10D+1, scholar: lore 11D+1, streetwise 7D+2, value 7D+2, value: artifacts 10D,
willpower 6D+1
MECHANICAL 2D
Astrogation 5D+2, communications 5D+2, jetpack operation 3D, repulsorlift operation 3D, sensors 6D,
starfighter piloting 4D, space transports 5D+1, starship gunnery 3D+2, starship shields 4D+2
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Bargain 6D+2, con 7D+2, hide 6D, investigation 5D+2, investigation: artifact/treasure hunt 10D,
persuasion 5D+2, search 6D+1, search: traps 7D+1, sneak 5D
STRENGTH 2D
Brawling 3D, brawling: fighting dirty/"opportunistically" 4D, climbing/jumping 4D+2, stamina 4D
TECHNICAL 4D
Blaster repair 6D+2, computer programming/repair 8D, demolition 7D, droid programming 8D,
droid repair 7D+2, equipment repair 7D+2, first aid 5D, security 8D, space transport repair 6D

Height: 1.56 meters

Force Points: 3
Dark Side Points: 3
Character Points: 23

• Electro-tattoo: Doctor Aphra has a circuitry-pattern electro-tattoo etched into her right arm, with its design reaching up to / along her shoulder. Electro-tattoos can carry data, complete circuits, or carry out security-overriding, sensor-baffling effects — though the latter capabilities are not widely known to the law-abiding public. The electro-tattoo on the right arm of rogue archaeologist Doctor Aphra’s once allowed her to circumvent and/or short-out electronic security measures, while a matching tattoo acquired later by then-Imperial-Inspector Magna Tolvan, allowed the couple to communicate securely through a prison’s energy barrier. In addition, synchronization between the two lovers' tattoos wound up creating biofeedback which enabled them to perceive — in varying degrees — one another's thoughts.

In game terms, electro-tattoos can carry data, can complete circuits or disrupt currents, and can facilitate transmission of signals. If the desired effect is a security measure or countermeasure, the tattoo is given a die code effectiveness. Consider Doctor Aphra's and Magna Tolvan's electro-tattoos to each have a die code effectiveness of (at least) 7D.

In addition, when within 40 meter range of one another, Aphra and Tolvan "feel" one another's presence — a sensation Tolvan described as akin to her "skin crawling." When within 20 meters range, Tolvan and Aphra may "sense" the other's thoughts on a successful opposed Willpower roll. If the rolls are within 5 of one another, Tolvan and Aphra each perceive an accurate but generalized sense of what the other is feeling, as specific information may still be withheld by the whomever rolls the highest. If within 1 meter of each other, Tolvan and Aphra are able to perceive accurate information regarding the other's thoughts if the rolls are within a difference of 5, though specific information may still be withheld by the whomever rolls the highest. If touching, no roll is required for each person to perceive a precise understanding of the other's thoughts and feelings, though specific information may still be withheld by an opposed roll. However, the person who wishes to keep their thoughts private must be conscious in order to do so....

• Enemies to lovers... to enemies... to lovers... to...: After previous involvement with smuggler Sana Starros, Doctor Aphra entered into a tumultuous romantic relationship with then-Imperial Captain, and later Alliance Operative, Magna Tolvan. After a prolonged game of cat-and-mouse, Aphra and Tolvan consummated their relationship and (eventually) admitted their mutual love. Nonetheless, Aphra would continue betraying Tolvan, and breaking her heart. However, at what appeared to be the end of their formal relationship, Aphra attempted to make amends, ensuring that Tolvan and the Alliance could escape Hoth, by strategically delaying the Empire's efforts to locate Echo Base.

"Killing you is the only smart move... but you're cute."
    ― Aphra to Tolvan, after the incident at the Citadel of Rur.

"I love you, Doctor Aphra."
    "I know."
    "I hate you, Doctor Aphra."

― Magna Tolvan and Doctor Aphra, moments before Tolvan allows Aphra to escape Alliance custody.

• Insatiable intellectual curiosity... coupled with greed: Chelli Aphra has difficulty resisting the siren song of rare archaeology. And while her intellectual curiosity is at the heart of this desire, it competes with greed as primary motivation. In game terms, if Aphra is faced with an opportunity to explore some rare archeological site or claim (ie: steal) a precious artifact but wishes to resist doing so, she must make a Moderate Willpower roll, at minimum, with the difficulty level increasing in direct proportion to how rare or valuable or interesting the item might be.

Moreover, almost without fail, Aphra will not hesitate to lie, cheat, steal, and kill to get what she wants. She will double-cross allies without a second thought and will always have a last ditch trick up her sleeve. Should the GM choose to render this quality in game terms, if Aphra rolls a six on the wild die during any negotiation check, she will have concocted some way to steal all of the credits involved in the transaction. Alternatively, if one of her opponents, or one of the PCs, enters into negotiations with Aphra and rolls a wild-die mishap, some manner of double-cross / trap will be laid for them, unbeknownst to the party.

• Save yourself above all... well, almost all: Due to a variety of factors — conflicted upbringing torn between an absentee father focused on his work, to a mother who preached moral relativism and survival above all else, a life of crime, et cetera — Chelli Aphra has developed a... *gray* sense of right and wrong. Aphra will almost always act in her self interest. However, as her parting actions toward lover Magna Tolvan, father Korin Aphra, and young survivor and ward Vulaada Klam, prove, Chelli is not without good in her heart, buried deep down as it may be.

Aphra will prioritize profit and self-preservation, unless people she has come to genuinely love are endangered... in which case, after much hand-wringing and roiling inner turmoil, she *may* decide to try to do the right thing. And by her own admission, even she has her limits, when it comes to misdeed, and even then, despite her charming and cavalier demeanor, Chelli Lona Aphra does not expect to ever sleep easy at night....

"I won't do it! This is it! I'm bad, but I'm not that brand of evil."
    ― Aphra refuses to perform the latest cruel act while forced to work for evil protocol droid, Triple Zero.

“Evil’s just a measure of how much your choices take away other people’s.”
    — Lona Aphra, mother of Chelli Aphra.

Capsule: Whenever rogue archaeologist (and thief) Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra wends her way through a series of deadly security measures — wryly narrating her progress all the while — it's often a memorable entrance... followed by a harrowing escape. Renowned for recovering hard-to-find artifacts (often of the "can be used as weapons" variety) and using her tech know-how to reactivate them, Doctor Aphra doesn't believe relics of the past should be gathering dust in a museum; she thinks they should be put to use (primarily to turn a profit for herself). After that, it's none of her concern.

Aphra is a skilled field archaeologist who initially followed in her father Korin's footsteps at the University of Bar'leth after losing her mother to supposed bandits during the Clone Wars. Despite her talents, she is impulsive and has a thirst for excitement which made her ill-suited to the patient excavation and study of traditional archaeology. In fact, sites that Aphra "studies" often suffer countless credits of worth of damage and wind up with the most precious artifacts "missing" — then mysteriously available on the black market soon thereafter. Such occurrences are of course, the handiwork of Aphra herself, along with any ersatz allies she has yet to betray, and her own mechanical creations.

Among her said creations are a pair of so-called "murder droids," a violent protocol droid called 0-0-0 and a a deadly astromech designated BT-1, ready to do (or do in) anything or anyone Aphra asks (at first, that is). Her attitude, talents and moral ambiguity make her an optimal candidate for the secretive work Darth Vader has in mind after the Battle of Yavin, and he recruits her as a key ally.

During a time immediately after the destruction of the first Death Star, when Vader felt his back against the wall and all Imperial eyes on him. In response, the Dark Lord decided to build up his own dedicated support system, which began with droids and a woman who could make them well and in secret: Doctor Aphra.

Aphra's fast talk and cutting humor make it seem as though she isn't afraid of the Sith Lord (though she admits he makes her a little nervous), and their byplay has a lighter touch not often seen in interplay with Vader. She clearly respects him, and strives to prove her worth, whether by acquiring a personal army of battle droids for him or investigating a highly personal matter — whether Padmé gave birth before she died. Aphra's very much aware that working with Vader is likely to end one way for her: in death. She's prepared, but not resigned. "The way I've lived I know I'm lucky to be alive."

Fortunately, her luck held. And if anything, it flourished. After succeeding at convincing the Dark Lord of her death at his hands, adventure became Aphra's specialty. And to it, she brought a scoundrel's brand of luck — solving problems on the fly, before speeding off and out of trouble in her ship, the Ark Angel.

After escaping Vader's (seemingly successful) attempt on her life, Aphra somehow managed to effect a dizzying array of death-defying escapes. From escaping the torturous ministrations of 0-0-0 with Tolvan's timely aid — the "liberated" protocol droid had assumed control of the crime syndicate Son-tuul Pride and was coercing Aphra to do his bidding — to escaping Accresker Jail and Vader once more (thanks once again to Magna Tolvan's willingness to sacrifice her memories... long story), to escaping a surgically-explosive plot by "Science Monster" Doctor Evazan, Aphra always made it out alive. Later on along the way, she even managed to take on a young "ward," Vulaada Klam, a wayward urchin who reminded Aphra of herself when she was younger.

Aphra would also find that her trademark dodge-and-weave approach did *not* work quite as well in her personal life, however. Upon meeting Sana Starros while studying at university, the two become an item, but by the time Starros runs into Aphra later in life, Sana (of course) tries to kill her. And while hunting for artifacts around the galaxy, Aphra's path crosses with Rebels and Imperials alike. She doesn't form many bonds, but she does manage to connect with Magna Tolvan, a skilled Imperial officer "destined for greatness," whose career is derailed by entanglement with Aphra. And though the two would fall in love over time, with Tolvan defecting to the Rebel Alliance and becoming one of their most valuable field agents, Aphra held no commitment to either side. That said, she managed to reconcile (in a matter of speaking) with Tolvan, her father, and her protégé, by ensuring their safety even as the Doctor herself disappeared from their lives.

And now, with the Rebel Alliance back on the run after their defeat at the Battle of Hoth, it’s never been a more dangerous time for outlaws and scoundrels — and errant archaeologists — making their way in the galaxy. But after a string of bad luck and near escapes, Doctor Aphra is back! She’s been keeping a low profile — jobs are scarce and credits scarcer. But the promise of the score of a lifetime might be a chance too good for her to pass up....

Equipment: BlasTech DL-44 heavy blaster pistol (5D damage, range: 3-7/25/50, ammo: 50), comlink, electrobinoculars (range: 100-250m/500m/1km; game notes: All search and Perception-oriented skills are increased by 3D when using electrobinoculars to view areas more than 100 meters away; note: Unlike macrobinoculars, electrobinoculars enhances images via built-in hardware), fingerless gloves, flight cap (aviator-style), goggles (game notes: negates flash-blinding penalties; reduces by 2D, any debris-based Perception penalties that would otherwise impede vision), holster, modified HK heavy-duty lifter starship (Ark Angel), stimpack, toolkit (+1D to repair or modification rolls), utility belt, vest.

Sources: Star Wars: Doctor Aphra comic book series (Vol. I and II), Darth Vader comic book series (2015-2016), Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy (p.62-65) by Amy Ratcliffe, Star Wars: Allies and Adversaries sourcebook by Fantasy Flight Games (p.78-79), http://swa.stoogoff.com , and Wookieepedia. Stats based upon / converted from official FFG stats first published in Star Wars: Allies and Adversaries sourcebook (p.78), reposted online here: http://swa.stoogoff.com/#doctor-aphra . Capsule text adapted from Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy (p.62-65), with third paragraph adapted from Star Wars: Allies and Adversaries sourcebook by Fantasy Flight Games (p.78), and with fourth and closing paragraphs adapted from https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/everything-you-need-to-know-about-star-wars-doctor-aphra . Images: In order of appearance above, artwork by Emilio Laiso (both images appear in Doctor Aphra Volume 1, Issue #14), Kev Walker (#21), Emilio Laiso (#17), Caspar Wijngaard (#39), Kev Walker (#1), and Valentina Remenar (Volume 2, Issue #1, Variant Cover). Stats and additional text by Telsij.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: THE SECOND SISTER, aka: TRILLA SUDURI Reply with quote

** SPOILERS for STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER video game ***

Finally found a few free moments to finish an entry that was already in-progress. And so, here are stats and write-up for one of SW's better-developed, well-acted, and tragic antagonists!

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE presents SECOND SISTER, the Imperial Inquisitor once known as Jedi Padawan TRILLA SUDURI, from the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order video game!

SECOND SISTER
aka:
TRILLA SUDURI

Type: Sadistic Imperial Inquisitor

Quotes:
  • "Outstanding."
    — The Second Sister, to Cal Kestis, after he ignites his blade rather than submit willingly to her questioning.

• "I wagered one meaningless Padawan against a prize that will win me the Emperor's favor."
    — The Second Sister to Cal Kestis

• "You will refer to me as Inquisitor. And if you could handle yourself, Commander, I wouldn't be here."
    — The Second Sister to Commander Atty

• "It appears that there are no survivors left, Inquisitor. We found nothing of value."
    "No. You didn't look hard enough…."

― A Purge Trooper and the Second Sister

• "I recognize that stance. Perhaps you've had some training after all. Who was your master, Padawan? Someone I killed, perhaps? What Jedi gave their life so that you might live?"

• "There is no technique Cere has that I haven't perfected."

• "You're a monster."
    "I am what Cere made me."

― Cal Kestis and the Second Sister

• "I'm stronger now, because of the pain."

DEXTERITY 3D
Brawling parry 5D, dodge 6D+1, grenade 5D, lightsaber 7D, lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber 8D, melee combat 7D, melee parry 7D, running 5D+1, thrown weapons 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 4D
Alien species 5D, bureaucracy: Empire 6D, cultures 6D, intimidation 7D+1, intimidation: psychological manipulation 8D, planetary systems 5D, survival 5D, willpower 6D+1
MECHANICAL 2D
Astrogation 5D, communications 5D+2, repulsorlift operation 4D, sensors 4D+2, space transports 4D+2, starfighter piloting 5D+2, starship gunnery 5D
PERCEPTION 4D
Bargain 5D+2, command 5D, con 7D, investigation 7D+1, investigation: psychological profile of prey 8D, persuasion 6D, search 6D, search: tracking 7D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 5D, climbing/jumping 5D+2, stamina 5D
TECHNICAL 2D
Computer programming/repair 5D+2, equipment repair 4D, lightsaber engineering/repair 5D, lightsaber engineering/repair: Inquisitor lightsaber 6D, security 5D

Force Skills: Control 7D+1, Sense 7D, Alter 7D+1

The Second Sister knows the following Force powers:
  • Control: Absorb/dissipate energy, accelerate healing, burst of speed, control pain, enhance attribute, force of will, hibernation trance, remain conscious, remove fatigue, resist stun

• Sense: Combat sense, danger sense, direction sense, life detection, life sense, magnify senses, receptive telepathy, sense Force

• Control and Sense: Farseeing, lightsaber combat, projective telepathy

• Sense and Alter: Dim other's senses, Force wave (Force pulse), inflict pain, lesser force shield

• Control and Alter: Accelerate another's healing, accelerate healing, control another's pain, drain life/wither (Force drain), feed on Dark Side, Force jump, inflict pain, transfer Force

• Control, Sense, and Alter: Affect mind, control mind, drain life essence

Height: 1.7 meters

Force Points: 7
Dark Side Points: 7
Character Points: 13

• A Master's Betrayal: The Second Sister was once Padawan to Jedi Knight Cere Junda. In the aftermath of the Clone Wars, Suduri and Junda went into hiding, fleeing the newly-risen Empire with a group of Jedi younglings in their care. Ultimately, both Master and Padawan were captured and subjected to torture, allowing the dark side of the Force to transform Suduri into the Second Sister.

During the Imperial attacks, Suduri had insisted that she and her master stick together, but Junda attempted to lead the Imperials away from their position on her own. Suduri had begged her not to leave them, but her master left to confront the enemy nonetheless, and she was instead left to protect the younglings. Although Junda succeeded in leading the Imperials away, she was eventually captured. Imprisoned at Fortress Inquisitorius on Nur, Junda was subjected to torture by her captors and, in the end, revealed the location of Suduri and the younglings.

As a result, Suduri was soon captured and subjected to the same torture as her master. Coupled with her master's perceived betrayal, the Imperial torture broke Suduri's will and she succumbed to the dark side, becoming an Inquisitor known as the Second Sister. When Junda saw her former Padawan dressed in Imperial garb, she flew into a rage, used the dark side to kill everyone in the room except Suduri, before fleeing.

Although Junda escaped with her life, and though Suduri would climb the ranks of the Imperial Inquisitors, the Jedi Hunter eventually known as the Second Sister would not forget, nor perhaps ever forgive, her master's betrayal.

"She was weak. Cracked in an Imperial torture chair. Surrendered the location of her naïve Padawan. They would never have found me… if it wasn't for her. She betrayed me."
    ― The Second Sister, to Cal Kestis, regarding Cere Junda

"When faced with the choice to protect herself or her Padawan, she chose self-interest.... She'll sell you out too."

― The Second Sister, to Cal Kestis, regarding Cere Junda

"I've carried so much hate for you."
    ― Second Sister, to Cere Junda

• Ambition and Arrogance: The Second Sister seeks the favor of Emperor Palpatine, and to rise within the ranks of the Galactic Empire. And the Second Sister knows very well that she has the talent and skill to do so.

• Analytical Approach: The Second Sister couples a brilliant but cruel intellect with psychoanalysis in her pursuit of prey, allowing her to anticipate her target's behavior as she discovers their fears and exploits their and weaknesses.

"Cal Kestis. How predictable. Oh yes, I know your name… Your past… And most importantly… about Cordova."
    ― The Second Sister, to Cal Kestis

"There is no technique Cere has that I haven't perfected."
    ― The Second Sister

• Inquisitorius: Composed largely of fallen Jedi Knight and their Padawans, the Inquisitors were trained by Darth Vader in the ways of the Dark Side of the Force. Inquisitors were then tasked with investigating reports of possible Force Sensitives, and with capturing, turning, or kill those individuals. In game terms, due to the nature of their missions, Inquisitors have the authority to commandeer any required Imperial military forces, and even officers were required obey their orders. In practice, they appear outranked only by Darth Vader himself, Grand Moff Tarkin, the Grand Inquisitor or those in the Emperor's inner circle.

• Sadist: The Second Sister's methods are as effective as they are cruel. And she will often toy with her prey before administering the killing blow. Despite her psychology-focused approach having proven deadly for her targets however, the Second Sister's desire to taunt her victims has at times prolonged a hunt, even when a mission's success is already all but assured.

Capsule: Ambitious and cruel, the Second Sister was one of the deadliest members of the Imperial Inquisition. Unpredictable, agile and relentless, she relished hunting down both Force-sensitives and political dissidents for the Empire. Already an expert lightsaber duelist adept in wielding the dark side of the Force — capable of even esoteric feats such as draining the very life essence of her victims — she was an able slicer as well. However, the Second Sister's greatest weapon was her cunning intellect and ability to deduce and predict the behavior of her prey. This probing nature, and a charismatic sociopathy, allowed her to patiently manipulate almost any adversary into revealing their weaknesses and fears, paving the way for their own undoing. And ever the sadist, the Second Sister often toyed with her prey before moving in for the kill.

Rivaled only by the Grand Inquisitor among the Inquisitorious in skill and tenacity, the Second Sister was once the Jedi padawan known as Trilla Suduri. Nearly a decade and a half before the Battle of Yavin, she would face her most daunting challenges: a nigh galaxy-spanning pursuit of the padawan survivor Cal Kestis, and the search for a hidden holocron containing the identities of Force-sensitive children who could restore the Jedi Order — for in this quest came confrontation with her former master, Cere Junda.

Although the Inquisitor succeeded in learning Kestis' history in order to exploit his weaknesses — she would taunt the young man of the loss of his master, Jaro Tapal, insinuating that the Lasat Jedi would be disappointed to see his pupil keeping company with Cere Junda, a betrayer who'd wielded the Dark Side — the Second Sister's series of victories came at a cost: the toll extracted from her psyche, in facing her own past and becoming consumed by its harsh "lessons."

The Second Sister did defeat Kestis time and again, but each time the latter grew wiser, while managing to elude the killing stroke, often with the timely aid of Junda, the Padawan's exploration droid, BD-1, and even the Nightsister, Merrin. And though the Second Sister managed to manipulate Kestis into (unwittingly) finding the holocron on her behalf — tracking it to the Zeffo Vault on Bogano, she would meet her end when next they met.

Taking the holocron to Fortress Inquisitorius on the Nur moon of Mustafar, the Second Sister seemed on the verge of decisive victory. She had secured an item that could end any hope of a resurrected Jedi Order. Unfortunately for her, Cal Kestis remained persistent.

Due to his powers of postcognition, upon retrieving the Second Sister's lightsaber, Kestis saw the suffering Trilla Suduri had endured. And now, he told her it was not to late to let go of her hate. But the Second Sister refused, claiming the pain made her stronger. This time however, it may have unbalanced her, at last and in earnest. Disarmed in a final duel with Kestis, the Second Sister came face to face with Cere Junda once again. And this time, Junda offered plaintive apology for all the pain she had caused her former Padawan. And this time, it seemed at long last that Trilla Suduri might truly listen... and finally forgive.

Trilla Suduri had already fallen to the Dark Side once, but upon emerging from the depths of the Second Sister's scarred and cruel shell, perched on the precipice of possible reconciliation with Cere Junda and her past, Trilla Suduri was instead felled once and for all. Before the words came. Before absolution. Trilla Suduri was killed by Darth Vader for her "failure," and before the eyes of her old Master. Indeed, were it not for Kestis and Cere Junda, the Second Sister might have succeeded in her desire to gain the Emperor's favor... and in wiping out the Jedi Order for good.

"Avenge us."
―The Second Sister's last words

Equipment: Cape (+1 vs. edged physical attacks, +2 bonus to any attempts at concealing items beneath its cover; appearance: black with red inner lining), comlink, customized Imperial Inquisitor body armor and helmet (+1D vs. physical and energy damage; no Dexterity penalties; covers torso, arms, and head only; visor's visual augmentation allows user to see clearly in both low-light or blindingly-bright environments, while granting access to vision in infrared, ultraviolet, and other wavelengths. In game terms, helmet visor prevents reduces darkness-related penalties by 4D, and reduces effect of visually-based/blinding attacks by 4D; helmet is also equipped with toxin/atmosphere filters capable of providing ten hours of breathable atmosphere if/when vacuum seal is activated. In game terms, helmet grants +4D bonus to Strength or stamina checks versus effects of toxins or harsh atmospheric conditions; appearance: black with red piping/trim, and white Imperial crest on shoulders), flash grenades (6D/5D/3D/2D "flash blinding" damage, range: 0-8/16/25, blast radius: 0-2/4/6/8, Game Notes: Damage is rolled normally, but treat any result greater than Stunned as the target becoming temporarily "blinded" — apply a -4D penalty to target's visually-based actions for a number of rounds equal to the number before the D in the damage die code for that range band. Flash grenades are rechargeable), Inquisitor lightsaber (see entry below), TIE Interceptor starfighter.

SECOND SISTER'S INQUISITOR LIGHTSABER

"Be careful with that thing. It's been through hell."
― The Second Sister, regarding her lightsaber

Type: Melee weapon / thrown weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber / double-bladed lightsaber, thrown weapons
Cost: Unavailable for sale
Availability: 4, X
Difficulty: Difficult or Very Difficult depending upon mode used
Damage: 5D

Game Notes: Making full use of an Inquisitor lightsaber requires the specialization Lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber / double-bladed lightsaber. Without this specialization, the base difficulty to wield a double-bladed lightsaber is Very Difficult, and none of the special benefits of the double-bladed lightsaber are available to the user. If used with only a single blade ignited, treat double-bladed lightsaber as standard single-bladed lightsaber, sans its model-specific penalties or bonuses. With any mode, as with single-bladed lightsaber, if wielder rolls lower than base difficulty number by more than a margin of 10, she has injured herself with the weapon.

Blade Configurations and Modes of Use:
  • Double-blade mode: If wielded as double-bladed weapon by user with specialization lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber / double-bladed lightsaber, user gains a +5 bonus to all parry rolls.

• Flying/gliding mode: Equipped with a repulsorlift generator powerful enough to lift most humanoids, and guided by use of the spinning double-blades, the Inquisitor lightsaber may be used to "fly" or glide in bursts, over short distances.

In game terms, such maneuvers require a Moderate climbing/jumping skill check at minimum, depending upon terrain/surroundings. If successful, the Inquisitor can move up to 50 meters vertically and horizontally. Use of the flying/gliding mode may also be used as a defensive measure and as a "reaction skill" by those with the specialization lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber. In such cases, the maneuver's success is then determined by a parry roll of their specialization.

Please note: The Second Sister rarely makes use of her lightsaber's extended flight capabilities, but will make use of the gliding maneuver to quickly move out of engaged/melee range, relative to her opponents.

• Spinning double-blade mode: If wielded by user with specialization lightsaber: Inquisitor lightsaber / double-bladed lightsaber, user gains +10 bonus to all parry rolls, and a +5 bonus to strike.

• Thrown weapon: May be used as thrown weapon: 5D damage, skill: Thrown weapons, range: 3-5/8/15.

Sources: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order video game, starwars.com, d6holocron.com (fan-made Force powers such as Burst of speed, Force push, and Force wave), Star Wars: Rebels Season 2 fan sourcebook (Inquisitor lightsaber stats, revised by Telsij), Star Wars: The Old Republic fan sourcebook (Drain life/wither Force power), Wookieepedia, https://pandorarp.com/threads/suduri-trilla.56746/ , and https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4441529/ .

Images: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order video game (photo mode screen captures) and The Art of Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order book (masked full body image and Inquisitor lightsaber hilt image).

First paragraph and (parts of) second paragraph of capsule text adapted from https://www.starwars.com/databank/second-sister and Wookieepedia entry for Second Sister. Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: KENNER AT-ST DRIVER: MAJOR MARQUAND NEWLAND Reply with quote

A recent request on the WEG D6 facebook group for stats of one of the Kenner mini-rigs made me look through my Kenner write-ups. I *thought* I had already posted all of the figures I'd done character stats and write-ups for, BUT only then realized I'd forgotten a few. And so:

Here are stats and write-up for everyone's favorite 1980s peg-warmer, the AT-ST DRIVER from Return of the Jedi! And while the character's Legends iteration is named Marquand for RotJ's director (who cameoed *as* the character), new canon calls him Newland. And as nothing about his new iteration contradicts the old, why not combine both as Major Marquand Newland!

MAJOR MARQUAND NEWLAND
Type: Ground Assault Vehicle Commander

A Quote: "Get him off of there!"― Newland, upon spotting an Ewok assailant

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 4D+1, blaster artillery 4D+2, brawling parry 3D, dodge 3D, vehicle blasters 5D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+2
Bureaucracy 4D+2, intimidation 4D+1, survival 4D, tactics 4D, tactics: ground assault 5D
MECHANICAL 4D
Walker operation 6D+1
PERCEPTION 3D
Command 5D+2, command: Tempest Force scouts 6D+1
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 3D+2, stamina 4D
TECHNICAL 2D
Security 3D, walker repair 4D, walker repair: AT-ST 5D

Homeworld: Kessel
Height: 1.78 meters

Character Points: 5

Capsule: The spectre of the spice mines was very real for those that grew up on Kessel. The presence of the mines was as inescapable as their physical confines were reputed to be. As plumes of smoke hid the horizon and the stench of death filled the air, young Marquand Newland swore that he would not make the mistakes made by those now toiling away in such labor camps. He would make something of himself. This personal mission was a success, to which Newland’s swift rise to a position of some authority in the Imperial Military is sound testament.

As an AT-AT pilot assigned to the ground force complement of the renowned Star Destroyer, Devastator, Major Newland served with such distinction that he was recruited into Tempest Force, an elite unit populated by many of the Empire’s top soldiers. While others in his position might have been content to blindly carry out the orders of their superiors, Newland made certain that he had substantial input in shaping and even directing operations on Endor. Despite or perhaps because of this strong showing, Newland’s independent streak later lent credence to the notion that he had turned against the Empire during the rebel raid on the Endor shield generator.

As Newland’s AT-ST, the Tempest Scout 2, advanced upon rebel commandos and the savages who had allied themselves with the insurgents, one furry native somehow found his way atop the walker. Instructing his gunner Lieutenant Blanaid to investigate, Newland was shocked to see Blanaid suddenly pulled out of the walker and thrown overboard before he himself was violently subdued. Newland’s hijacked AT-ST was then used against his own forces, with both Newland and Blanaid being branded as traitors as a result. What became of Major Newland in the wake of such a decisive rebel victory is unknown.

Equipment: AT-ST walker (Tempest Scout 2), blast helmet (+1D vs. physical damage, +2 vs. energy), goggles (provides +2D protection against vision-based attacks or environmental effects), X-30 “Lancer” target blast pistol (3D+1 damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 50).

Sources: Return of the Jedi film, Wookieepedia entries for Newland and Marquand, Decipher CCG, Star Wars: Card Trader app, and http://thestarwarsbox.blogspot.com/2012/09/kenner-at-st.html . Images: Kenner action figure and vehicle photos by Nekoman, and still image from Return of the Jedi film. Stats and capsule text by Telsij.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: KENNER BARADA (ALTERNATE IDENTITY): KITHABA Reply with quote

One more of my "forgotten" Kenner figure write-ups, this time from the 1985 post-Rotj Power of the Force subline, which included a collector's coin and whose name was later re-used for the late 90's "muscle-bound" Special Edition era of figures.

The original Kenner figure was sculpted in the likeness of Barada, but was painted to resemble Kithaba. Which character the figure actually represents is of course left to the discretion of the GM / your 1980's childhood self, but because official stats of Barada already exist, here then is "Barada II" KITHABA from Return of the Jedi.

KITHABA (Barada II)
Type: Indomitable Assassin

DEXTERITY 4D+1
Blaster 5D+1, brawling parry 5D+2, dodge 5D, melee combat 6D+1, melee parry 5D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Intimidation 6D, planetary systems 4D, streetwise 5D+2, survival 5D, willpower 6D+2
MECHANICAL 3D
Musical instrument operation 4D+1, repulsorlift operation 4D+2, space transports 4D+1,
starfighter piloting 3D+2
PERCEPTION 3D
Hide 4D, search 5D, sneak 4D+2
STRENGTH 4D
Brawling 6D, stamina 6D+1
TECHNICAL 2D
Demolitions 3D, musical instrument repair 3D, security 4D+1

Species: Klatooinian

Character Points: 8

• Rises to the challenge: Kithaba established his reputation as a feared assassin by being relentless. Although he was sometimes outmatched by opponents or by particularly elusive targets, Kithaba managed to soldier on to victory through sheer force of will and determination alone. This led many to believe that he possessed an ability to somehow rise to a superior level of skill whenever the situation called for it.

Capsule: Why would an assassin of Kithaba’s caliber remain at such a lowly position in Jabba’s Court of his own free will? The fearsome Klatooinian was not indebted to the Hutt Cartel, nor had he been pressed into indentured servitude. Moreover, unlike many of his more traditionally-minded brethren, Kithaba did not revere the Hutts as demigods simply because of their long lifespan or history of dominion over the Klatooinian people.

The truth was that Kithaba never felt fulfilled by the business of assassination. He appeared so driven largely because he was always searching for a sense of satisfaction that was missing from a successful kill. It was not until he discovered his love of playing music that Kithaba finally felt a sense of real accomplishment. He accepted a (relatively) low-risk position within Jabba’s criminal organization simply so that he could hone his musicianship and begin to focus upon building a music career after retirement.

Despite being the first of Jabba’s vanguard to fall from the skiffs above the Great Pit of Carkoon, Kithaba was (appropriately enough) the last one seen alive — struggling valiantly against the might of the Sarlaac, relentless to the bitter end.

Equipment: BlasTech DL-18 blaster pistol (4D damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 100), force-pike (STR+2D damage, melee difficulty: Moderate), red bandana and matching pants, tan tunic-vest, three-pouch bandolier.

Sources: Return of the Jedi film, Decipher CCG, https://www.swccgstore.com/Star-Wars-CCG-Kithaba-p/12537.htm , http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtBarada.asp , and Wookieepedia. Images: http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtBarada.asp (figure), https://www.swccgstore.com/Star-Wars-CCG-Kithaba-p/12537.htm (card) and Return of the Jedi: Special Edition film. Stats and capsule text by Telsij.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: KENNER RED SNAGGLETOOTH, ZUTMORE Reply with quote

Yet one more "forgotten" Kenner write-up — but this time, it's teamed with ye olde Star Wars Holiday Special.

While the "Blue Snaggletooth" Kenner story is well known by now, there was also some back-and-forth regarding the identity of the later, stockier "Red Snaggletooth" figure. Despite my issues with the "inconsistent" quality of a lot of the writing therein, Wookieepedia — ever the invaluable resource! — actually does explain it pretty well:

In its Zutmore entry, "Wookieepedia" wrote:
In 1978, the Kenner toy company created a figure of the Snivvian, Zutton. The first version wore a blue outfit and was the same size as a regular action figure. It was released with the Sears Cantina Adventure Playset. A second, revised version with a red outfit and shorter legs was released as an individually packaged action fiture. The first version was labeled "Blue Snaggletooth" and became a very rare figure. The package of the second figure included a picture of "Zutmore" from the Holiday Special. This seemed to imply that the Snivvian in The Star Wars Holiday Special was the same Snivvian, Zutton, that appeared in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. However, Zutton has a different appearance than the Snivvian in the Holiday Special, and it was decided to split the appearances into separate characters.

To add to the confusion, in 2001, Hasbro produced a figure under the name "Zutton", but the figure actually resembles "Zutmore". Around the same time, Decipher identified "Zutmore" as "Rachalt Hyst" for its Star Wars Customizable Card Game set, Tatooine Limited. Later sources, including the article, Rogues Gallery: You're Barred! in Star Wars Insider 144, returned to the name from the Holiday Special script: Zutmore."

And so, with ANH's Zutton and Takeel already getting official WEG stats courtesy of Pablo Hidalgo (see the short story "Spare Parts" in Star Wars Adventure Journal #11), here are stats and write-up for ZUTMORE from the Star Wars Holiday Special.

BONUS: This also gives me a chance to re-post BLUE SNAGGLETOOTH, one of my favorite earlier write-ups from when I had the time to photoshop these Obscure Character entries, a character who was canonized in The Clone Wars as MORLIMUR SNUGG. See link to his Kenner-styled PDF here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIX3pGMVJkalRFUFE/view

ZUTMORE
Remorseful Con Artist

Quote: “Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh!” [trilling, high-pitched laugh]

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster: blaster pistol 4D, dodge 3D+2, melee combat: vibro-shiv 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+2
Cultures 4D+2, cultures: Snivvian 5D+2, streetwise 4D+2, value 4D+2
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Con 5D, con: seduction 5D+2, forgery: identification 5D, persuasion 5D
STRENGTH 3D
TECHNICAL 3D
Computer programming/repair 4D+1, security 3D+2

Species: Snivvian
Homeworld: Cadomai Prime

Dark Side Points: 1
Character Points: 6

Species Special Abilities and Story Factors:
  • Adaptive Skin: Snivvians can survive in temperature extremes from -30 to +45 degrees standard without harm or protective clothing, and their tough skin grants them a +1D armor bonus against physical damage.

• Blood Code: The genetic flaw that has led to much violence in Snivvian history has also caused the Snivvians to be very distrustful of twins of any species. As families, Snivvian brothers tend to be very distant.

• Strife-Torn History: The Snivvians never seem to get a break. From the genetic problems to the period of slavery by the Thalassians, the Snivvians have undergone hardship after hardship. Now that the Blood Code may have returned, the Snivvians are bracing themselves for more troubles. Despite such adversity (or perhaps because of it), the Snivvians are respected artists and writers.

Story Factors:
  • Alcohol, Self-Pity, and Further Self-Sabotage: After betraying members of her family — suffering enough of a fall-out with them that she was effectively cut-off from any further contact or aid they might provide, Zutmore finally feels as though she is nearing the end of her rope. Marooned in Mos Eisley with little hope of familial reconciliation, the Snivvian has fallen into alcoholism and vice. She now spends much of her time drowning her sorrows at Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina. One wouldn't be able to discern such internal struggles by sight alone however. In fact, the Snivvian seems far from morose and often appears to be in high spirits. Zutmore can often be found drinking hard and partying harder, with the sound of her high-pitched trill-like laughter filling the air.

In game terms, Zutmore must make a Moderate willpower roll to resist drinking the night away at the cantina. If she succeeds at this roll, Zutmore must then grapple with another difficult decision: rather than drink herself into a stupor, will she try to change the course of her life, or will she resume trying to con, seduce and/or otherwise "persuade" whomever she comes across next?

• Bigger and Bigger Bar Tab, Deeper and Deeper in Debt: Having been stranded in Mos Eisley for some time now, Zutmore has begun accruing debt. Despite this, she has not lost her spot at the bar — thanks to Ackmena. Like fellow cantina regular Kelbo, Zutmore has borrowed many a credit from the night-shirt bartender, while also accumulating quite the bar tab in the process!

Equipment: Forged identification (Alias: Rachalt Hyst), red jumpsuit with blue trim, Tatooine Blaster (4D damage, range: 3-10/30/100, ammo: 100).

Capsule: Often confused with another Snivvian named Zutton — despite her drastically different demeanor and style of dress, and upright posture, Zutmore was a con artist who, until recently, preyed upon both lovers and members of her own family. When Zutmore’s history of deceit finally came to light, her family severed all ties with her and abandoned Zutmore on Tatooine. Now alone and left to contemplate her past betrayals, Zutmore can usually be found drinking herself into a stupor at Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina, much to the annoyance of evening bartender, Ackmena. Even when the Empire placed a curfew upon even an Outer Rim underworld haven of Tatooine, Zutmore was still whiling the night away at the bar with the M'shento'su'Nikto (and fellow debtor) Kelbo, and the Snivvian's high-pitched, alcohol-fueled trill of laughter echoed long into the night.

Sources: Star Wars Holiday Special https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hH8rxarVG8&feature=youtu.be&t=4483 , http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/characters/zutmore/ , Decipher CCG, and Wookieepedia. Stats and capsule text by Telsij.

Images: http://www.rebelscum.com/Gentle-Giant-ltd/Snaggletooth-Jumbo-Kenner-Gentle-Giant.asp (Gentle Giant larger-scale 9.5" tall reproduction of Kenner "Red Snaggletooth" figure) and http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/characters/zutmore/ (Holiday Special photos courtesy of Scott Horne).

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=168069#168069

Telsij wrote:
Many thanks to Pablo Hidalgo's RO Visual Guide, for fleshing out a background for Bistan that lent itself well to adapting the Iakaru species to D6 mechanics.
EDIT: Updated Bistan's pdf, and the posted species write-up above, with a minor amendment to a Species Story Factor for the Iakaru. Changed Primitive Society to Pre-Spacefaring Society, and removed beginning Iakaru characters' inability to place starting skill dice in vehicle operation, while retaining their inability to place starting dice in starship operation skills. After reading the brief Q&A with Pablo Hidalgo linked below, where he says that while Iakaru are "beyond Ewok technology", they are "maybe not as technically inclined as Wookiees," this change made sense. http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-talking-rogue-one-aliens-with-pablo-hidalgo

Do you have the FFG era sourcebook Dawn of Rebellion? It presents Iakaru as a PC species, so their background and planet is more fleshed out. Unfortunately, it seems that they used Hidalgo's comments to springboard right into Kashyyyk and made Iakar a less advanced version of it. Iakaru mine metal from the mountains and have invented repulsorlift tech on their own, but they are still not spacefaring. The primary power source is short battery life solar.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: FERESK TSSAT, aka "FRISK" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=168069#168069

Telsij wrote:
Many thanks to Pablo Hidalgo's RO Visual Guide, for fleshing out a background for Bistan that lent itself well to adapting the Iakaru species to D6 mechanics.
EDIT: Updated Bistan's pdf, and the posted species write-up above, with a minor amendment to a Species Story Factor for the Iakaru. Changed Primitive Society to Pre-Spacefaring Society, and removed beginning Iakaru characters' inability to place starting skill dice in vehicle operation, while retaining their inability to place starting dice in starship operation skills. After reading the brief Q&A with Pablo Hidalgo linked below, where he says that while Iakaru are "beyond Ewok technology", they are "maybe not as technically inclined as Wookiees," this change made sense. http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-talking-rogue-one-aliens-with-pablo-hidalgo

Do you have the FFG era sourcebook Dawn of Rebellion? It presents Iakaru as a PC species, so their background and planet is more fleshed out. Unfortunately, it seems that they used Hidalgo's comments to springboard right into Kashyyyk and made Iakar a less advanced version of it. Iakaru mine metal from the mountains and have invented repulsorlift tech on their own, but they are still not spacefaring. The primary power source is short battery life solar.

Oh, interesting, Whill! I do have that FFG sourcebook, but I have neither revisited the book, nor the Iakaru species in some time. Thank you for the heads up re: their characterization therein!

And apologies for the much delayed response! Real life continues its hectic pace!

***********************************************************************************************

And speaking of revisting: am revisiting the Rancor Pit forums and the OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE
to add an entry for FRISK, the charming Trandoshan pilot who sometimes serves as your wingman in the
new Motive/EA video game (with shades of the old X-wing/TIE Fighter PC series), Star Wars: Squadrons!

***********************************************************************************************

FERESK TSSAT
aka: "FRISK"
Type: Cordial Con Artist

Quotes:
  • "I know, it’s not often you find a handsome fella like me fighting for the rebellion — er, New Republic, or whatever we are now. I used to be in what you might call 'acquisitions.' You know, hunting down trophies, antiques, anything collectors wanted. Until I got that pesky death mark, of course.... How was I supposed to know that painting was fake? Or that the Imperial governor was gonna show it off to Admiral Thrawn? That's what great about this place, though. They always got a berth for a good pilot, death mark or not."

• "Say, you play Sabacc? I'm trying to learn, but no one around here every wants to play me. Maybe we could go a few rounds? For credits, of course. Only way I'm gonna learn, right?"

• Keo got up and roamed, thinking, then snapped their fingers. “What’s that you always say about sabacc? ‘Don’t play the game’—”

“—‘play your opponent’.” Frisk started grinning.

— Keo Venzee and Frisk come up with a way to escape Imperial entanglements

• "As you can imagine, everyone at the dockyards is pretty spooked. I got a pazaak game planned for them later. To help boost morale. Gotta do our part, right?"

• "You know, we used to be *rebels*. We turn into a legit New Republic, and suddenly we all gotta stay on the straight and narrow."

• "So yeah, things look bleak. But when Vanguard flies together, there’s nothing we can’t do. Especially with you around. And if we fail, we fail together. And no one will ever *know*, because we’ll be dead! Now that’s a win in my book.”

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 4D, dodge 4D+2, pick pocket 5D, vehicle blasters 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+1
Alien species 4D+2, business 4D, cultures 5D+2, intimidation 4D,
languages 4D, planetary systems 5D, streetwise 6D+2, value 5D
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Astrogation 5D+1, repulsorlift operation 4D+2, sensors 4D,
space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting 5D+2,
starfighter piloting: Y-wing 6D+2, starship gunnery 5D+1,
starship gunnery: bombing run 6D+1, starship shields 4D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Bargain 6D, con 6D+2, forgery 5D, forgery: rare collectibles 6D+2,
gambling 6D+1, hide 4D+2, persuasion 5D, search 5D, sneak 4D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D+1, climbing/jumping 4D, lifting 4D+2, stamina 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D
Computer programming/repair 4D+1, equipment repair 4D+2,
security 5D, space transport repair 4D+1, starfighter repair 3D+2,
starfighter repair: hot-wire/jury-rig systems 5D

Species: Trandoshan
Homeworld: Dosh

Character Points: 9

• Albinism: Frisk is a rarity among Trandoshans — mentally, emotionally *and* physically. Already ill at ease within his clan, due to his lack of interest in the hunt and because of his overly gregarious nature, Frisk stood out among his Trandoshan brethren for yet another reason: congenital absence of pigmentation. In game terms, any attempts made to identify Frisk based on his appearance gain a +2D bonus to succeed.

• Always A Rebel: Too good-natured to be a merciless merc, and too loud-mouthed to be much good at traditional Trandoshan hunts, Frisk left Dosh for life as soon as he was able, finding footing as a confidence man targeting collectors and fleecing them using faked rarities. And though he eventually fled into the arms of the Rebel Alliance in order to escape a death mark, he found solace and purpose there... until they won the war, that is. Now faced with the prospect of playing a role in a "legitimate government," Frisk once again finds himself at odds with his surroundings and life choices.

Frisk’s big shoulders slumped. “I’m a rebel, Keo. Always have been. Never fitted in at home, so I lit out and did my own thing. The Rebel Alliance let me take a swing at the biggest bullies in the galaxy—my way.”

He sighed. “But now we’re a New Republic. We gotta go legit. But that’s not me.” Frisk pulled a fuse out of the control panel and stared at it. “You know where I belong in a legit government? Prison ship or community service, pick one.”

• Infrared Vision: Trandoshans are capable of seeing in the infrared spectrum. If there are ambient
    heat sources present, then Trandoshans can see clearly in low-light conditions and in darkness without penalty.

• Poor Fine Motor Skills: Due to the physiology of their fingers and hands, Trandoshans may appear "clumsy," and may appear to have difficulty performing any actions that require precise manual dexterity, such as picking locks or similar feats of prestidigitation. In game terms, Trandoshans suffer a -2D penalty whenever they attempt any such actions.

Note: Due to current canon's depiction of Trandoshans as far more manually dextrous than WEG's "clumsy" characterization suggests, it is left to the GM's discretion as to whether or not to enforce this now seemingly-outdated species trait from the Legends era.

• Species Reputation for Hostility: In many circles, Trandoshans are known as a belligerent species. Due to this stereotype, Trandoshan characters gain +1D to all intimidation rolls against non-Trandoshans.

• True Camaraderie: Once he found a place with the Alliance, and after never fitting in with his biological clan, Frisk has come to cherish the bond he shares with his squadmates, despite his displeasure at the increased formality and restrictions in place now that the Alliance is a “legit government.”

“You know, after Endor, I wasn’t sure about staying with the New Republic. I’d fought the good fight — even shaken that death mark. I didn’t see the point in going legit, so to speak. Figured I’d cash out, then get back to doing what I do best, It was Grace who changed my mind…. The day I was set to leave, she pulled me aside and told me something I’ll never forget. She said, ‘I’ll miss you, Frisk.’

Back home on Dosh, my clan and I never got along. ‘You’re too loud, Feresk.’ ‘Why don’t you like hunting, Feresk?’ Pfeh. As soon as I could fly, I left. Made my own way… on my own. Until I met Vanguard. The only thing better than pulling one over on the Empire was flying with my Vanguard buddies. It had never occurred to me they felt the same way.”

• Wanted / Death Mark: During his days “acquiring rare collectibles” for clients, Frisk ran afoul of an Imperial governor known as Durantus. Although he had made a decent living faking items and passing them off as the genuine article via glib fast-talking, Frisk's handiwork was not good enough to fool the keen eye and erudite expertise of Grand Admiral Thrawn — to whom the governor had proudly shown off his new prized possession. With Derantus humiliated in front of Thrawn, the governor placed a death mark on the Trandoshan. Evading the bounty on his head eventually drove Frisk to seek refuge with the Rebel Alliance. And though Frisk admits to having shaken the death mark after Endor, he still often speaks of having been and/or still being a "Wanted Man." His worry seems to be equal parts genuine and performative — the latter likely useful in making Frisk seem more accomplished than he really may have been.

Capsule: Feresk Tssat — “Frisk” to his friends — never fit in back home. Too good-natured to be a mercenary, too loudmouthed to be a hunter, this Trandoshan with albinism found his true calling as a con artist. Frisk’s specialty was faking trophies and rare collectibles, until he scammed the wrong Imperial governor… but flying under a death mark gave him the kind of skills the Rebel Alliance needed. Now, as a valued member of Vanguard Squadron, Frisk loves nothing more than teaching Imperials a lesson they won’t forget.

Equipment: Koensayr K-22995 flight helmet, lower-leg bandolier with signal flares, New Republic vacuum suit (equipped with Guidenhauser ejection harness and Novaldex Diagnostech life support unit), passage-documents-dedicated datapad (contains ID and sealed mission orders), Pazaak cards, Sabacc deck, wrist-mounted comlink beacon, Y-wing starfighter.

Sources: Star Wars: Squadrons video game, https://www.starwars.com/databank/frisk , Star Wars: Squadrons short story "The Light You Bring" by Joanna Berry https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/the-light-you-bring-short-story , Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron: Shadow Fall novel by Alexander Freed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEXZz9EJYpM&ab_channel=GeekClips . Capsule text: https://www.starwars.com/databank/frisk . Images: Star Wars: Squadrons cutscene screen captures (first and third image) and databank entry (second image). Stats and additional text by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh oh oh!!! Do Gunny next!
GreenSnaggletooth
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up on Zutmore! I've always had a soft spot for Snivvians!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: