The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tripping a Chicken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tripping a Chicken
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Tripping a Chicken Reply with quote

So, let's say I want to trip an AT-ST... either with a trip-wire or by making it fall into a pit.

What do I need to roll to engineer either the tripwire or a pit? What do I roll to conceal it, and what does the driver roll to find it?

When it hits the tripwire or pit, what does the driver roll? What kind of damage would it sustain?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a pit, maybe a series of puts, and they do not need be overly camofalged either.

if we look at the AT-ST it does not at all appear to be able to look straigt down to it's "toes" the view ports and let alone the "cockpit" is not designed for it.

now as for a tripwire I would think the sheer weight of the legs would render any wire ineffective, however something like a Bola type device I could see being very effective.

but to me it is holes/pits, coverd in brancesh and leafs/made to mimic the surface, since the AT-ST can not look at his toes I think this is the best of the options
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as game mechanics, I came up with this a while back. Essentially, it’s a form of Damage that forces a Piloting roll against a Difficulty dictated by the effectiveness of the weapon. If the pilot fails his roll, apply the result to the Movement Mishap tables.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tripping a Chicken Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, let's say I want to trip an AT-ST... either with a trip-wire or by making it fall into a pit.

What do I need to roll to engineer either the tripwire or a pit?

Something under Tech.. Mechanical repair/engineering, not sure for digging a pit.

MrNexx wrote:
What do I roll to conceal it, and what does the driver roll to find it?

You'd roll the Hide skill, the driver would roll Search.

MrNexx wrote:
When it hits the tripwire or pit, what does the driver roll? What kind of damage would it sustain?

If he rolls his search and sees it, i'd say a vehicle op roll to avoid it is in order. Damage, i'd base it on how big of a fall..

Mamatried wrote:
I would say a pit, maybe a series of puts, and they do not need be overly camofalged either.

if we look at the AT-ST it does not at all appear to be able to look straigt down to it's "toes" the view ports and let alone the "cockpit" is not designed for it.

True but their visors do give a good view of the ground ahead of them.. So they should be able to see the wire/pit before they move into it.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they would see some distance in front, but the qustion is then would they focus on the gorund where they walk or be focused on the most likely "human" threats that would also be in front.

Now an incident documneted ( the solder got a medal for it) happend during the winter war.

A finish ski trooper took out a soviet tank using a crowbar.
He founf the blind spot on a tank that was engaged, he managed to get up on the side and he used the crow bar on the tracks, imobilizing the tank and thus rendering it "harmless".

I am thinking much the same with the walker , even if the have feet and not tracks, the mulit threat posed by both prsonnel, the comat zone in gneral with "obsicles" and all the distractions preventing the walker looking down and in front when engaged.

now a ditch can be just as effective, consealed or hidden.

so I am still on the pit being the best option.

naturally two giant logs strong up in trees smashing the cockpit does the trick as well
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "toes" on the walker's "feet" are supposed to be able to cut through tripping hazards, though if placed high enough, the cutters won't be able to reach.

I'd have the character roll their Technical or possibly demolitions to see how well they managed to set the wire. This would affect the difficulty for the AT-ST's walker operations roll -- Moderate to Very Difficult terrain.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge Tactics spec: Traps to set trap. Perception to detect it. Maybe Walker Ops to detect it for a veteran walker pilot. Walker Ops to keep from falling for very difficult terrain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: