The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics for Taking Down a 10D Strength Rancor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Tactics for Taking Down a 10D Strength Rancor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Tactics for Taking Down a 10D Strength Rancor? Reply with quote

Let’s say the player characters are in the wilderness and somehow encounter a Rancor. Wookies are nearly invincible if they have 6D+armor. Under what circumstances (outside of using a Starship scale weapon or Jedi powers) would the rules allow you mathematically to take down such a creature? I’m not sure of a way to do it in 1e (rules-as-written). If you add the later rule (from the Rules Upgrade I think?) that when a creature has a number of stuns = # of Strength dice, they are incapacitated, I think that might do it eventually. I can’t think of another way to do it with character-scale weapons. Thoughts?

Here’s the Rancor stats:

THE RANCOR
=============
DEXTERITY: [4D]
PERCEPTION: [1D]
STRENGTH: [lOD]
Speed Code: [4D]
Size: The Rancor stands five meters at the shoulder, and may not yet have achieved its full growth.
Combat: The Rancor attempts to claw and grab its prey [10D damage], then shove it into its mouth and bite [12D damage].
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics for Taking Down a 10D Strength Rancor? Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
Let’s say the player characters are in the wilderness and somehow encounter a Rancor. Wookies are nearly invincible if they have 6D+armor. Under what circumstances (outside of using a Starship scale weapon or Jedi powers) would the rules allow you mathematically to take down such a creature? I’m not sure of a way to do it in 1e (rules-as-written). If you add the later rule (from the Rules Upgrade I think?) that when a creature has a number of stuns = # of Strength dice, they are incapacitated, I think that might do it eventually. I can’t think of another way to do it with character-scale weapons. Thoughts?

Here’s the Rancor stats:

THE RANCOR
=============
DEXTERITY: [4D]
PERCEPTION: [1D]
STRENGTH: [lOD]
Speed Code: [4D]
Size: The Rancor stands five meters at the shoulder, and may not yet have achieved its full growth.
Combat: The Rancor attempts to claw and grab its prey [10D damage], then shove it into its mouth and bite [12D damage].

Combined actions + Skill damage bonus. (Rules of Engagement Rebel Spec Force Sourcebook page 57 and 58)
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I believe those are some 2e rules? I'll consider importing some of those into my 1e game Smile
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play as Luke Skywalker?
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
Thanks! I believe those are some 2e rules? I'll consider importing some of those into my 1e game Smile

Yes.

Combined/coordinated actions rule is descibred in 1 and 2 ed. sourcebooks.. Also here on forum there are some house rule variations to it:

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5680&highlight=combined

Skill damage bonus is an optional rule for improving combat lethality in the game. What you roll above target dodge, you add to damage.

Update

You can also apply rules for called shots aiming head, eyes or other vital areas - additional bonus.

Also try suprise attack so target won't be allowed to dodge. Combine it with skill damage bonus and called shots.
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic strategic advice for players! Thanks so much!!! Very Happy
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my group the saying was always,

"less roll playing and more role playing."

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took down one in my actual play podcast. I actually decided to calm and befriend a large beast like this and my method actually surprised the GM to the point he allowed me to roll my force abilities and I calmed the beast enough that we could walk out and leave.. he full expected the group to hit it head on with everything we had, but I roleplayed my way out of it. He was annoyed but thought it was very good.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermal detonators and a couple of character points to increase the damage (might have to waive the DSP for using CPs to increase damage).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: