The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Stats for Fractalsponge Projects
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> D6 Stats for Fractalsponge Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In rough terms, if I were to stat an Assertor, a minimum effort version would be to take my version of the Executor, chop the length to 15km, reduce the transport capacity by 50% and give it the Sovereign's superlaser.

If I were to do that, I'd just throw the Sovereign out entirely; with an Assertor written along the lines of Fractalsponge's description, there would be no need for the Sovereign anyway.

I can see the Sovereign, with its less heavy arsenal and smaller size, being a more cost effective lightweight version of the same concept, but yeah. That's a fair point.

EDIT: His comments on the Assertor/Wrath images indicate that the superlaser on the Assertor is meant to be a less powerful ship-breaker, and not as powerful as the Eclipse (or Sovereign, which does the same damage). The Sovereign would therefore have a role as being a more fully dedicated superlaser platform. It could probably be constructed as a dreadnought-scale weapon as opposed to a Death Star scale weapon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, though; the Sovereign is literally nothing more than a silhouette and a WEG backstory. It never appeared in any source apart from the Dark Empire Sourcebook, and WEG has flat out said that it made up the Sovereign so that player groups can have something like an Eclipse in their game, even though Eclipse I and II were both destroyed in the Dark Empire series. Any images of the Sovereign apart from the DE Sourcebook silhouette are fan art, and nowhere near the quality of Fractal's Assertor. Plus, there's not all that much difference stats-wise between an axial superlaser and a big ship-breaker; there is no Damage Chart for planets when attacked by a superlaser, so the only way to officially apply the stats of any superlaser would be in capital ship combat, thus making all of them big ship-breakers from a game POV.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

In that case what about the Starhawk?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
Fair enough.

Not sure yet; I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, especially the tractor beams. One of the few things we know for sure is that a Starhawk was able to drag an Executor our of orbit using its tractor beams, so that speaks to something particularly robust (or a serious command or technical failure aboard the Executor). Since it's also specifically pieced together using ISD components, the weapon systems should just be a simple cut-and-paste from my existing ISD stats.

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
Fair enough.

Not sure yet; I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, especially the tractor beams. One of the few things we know for sure is that a Starhawk was able to drag an Executor our of orbit using its tractor beams, so that speaks to something particularly robust (or a serious command or technical failure aboard the Executor). Since it's also specifically pieced together using ISD components, the weapon systems should just be a simple cut-and-paste from my existing ISD stats.

Yeah. At most some of the fire arcs might change since it seems to have all been arranged differently since the New Republic and Rebel Alliance really like doing the broadside thing over emphasising forward firepower.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, I'm considering going through the various Upgrades for Armada and converting the concepts over to an upgrade list for the various ships, so that GMs can have some randomizing options for ships.

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On a somewhat related note, I'm considering going through the various Upgrades for Armada and converting the concepts over to an upgrade list for the various ships, so that GMs can have some randomizing options for ships.

Ooh.

That'll be cool. I really dig that there are things like the ordinance and armoured MC75, or the command and assault versions of the Pelta-class.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
That'll be cool. I really dig that there are things like the ordinance and armoured MC75, or the command and assault versions of the Pelta-class.

I generally deal with that aspect by making one version the main stat, with the other as a sub-variant of some kind. This would be more to generate ways to make certain ships unique (like having an extra D of Fire Control, or an extra D to their Ion Cannon or something along those lines). It'd also be a way to incorporate special mission options, like say the Bomber Command Center (in D6 terms, I'd say a ship equipped with a Bomber Command Center can provide an extra D of Fire Control to a single Fighter/Bomber Squadron per round within sensor range). Stuff like that.

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:

I generally deal with that aspect by making one version the main stat, with the other as a sub-variant of some kind. This would be more to generate ways to make certain ships unique (like having an extra D of Fire Control, or an extra D to their Ion Cannon or something along those lines). It'd also be a way to incorporate special mission options, like say the Bomber Command Center (in D6 terms, I'd say a ship equipped with a Bomber Command Center can provide an extra D of Fire Control to a single Fighter/Bomber Squadron per round within sensor range). Stuff like that.

Yeah, I've checked out your stats. I dig 'em, and may or may not have shamelessly ripped off bits and pieces for my own home game stuff, such as the new (and better) scale system. >.>
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! More power to you. This stuff would be pointless if I wasn't sharing it for others to make use of, too.

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite a fractalsponge project, but I threw together some stats for E.C. Henry and Angelo Karderinis' Incursor-class, based heavily upon the Cantwell Star Destroyer design and explained here.

Incursor-class Assault Cruiser
Craft: Kuat Drive Yards’ Incursor-class Assault Cruiser
Affiliation: Galactic Empire / General
Era: Dark Times onwards
Source: E.C. Henry and Angelo Karderinis
Type: Assault cruiser
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Length: 620 metres
Skill: Capital ship piloting: KDY Incursor-class
Crew: 2,730 (Skelton 1,250/+15); 182 gunners
Crew Skill: Astrogation 4D, capital ship gunnery 4D+2, capital ship piloting 5D, capital ship shields 4D, sensors 4D+2
Passengers: 400 (troops)
Small Craft:
-- 24 Starfighters (2 squadrons)
-- 6+ utility and small landing craft
Cargo Capacity: 9,000 metric tonnes
Consumables: 2 years
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1 (Backup x7)
Navicomputer: Yes
Manoeuvrability: 1D+2
Space: 7
Hull: 5D+2
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 60/1D
-- Scan: 125/3D
-- Search: 250/4D
-- Focus: 8/5D
Weapons:
2 Heavy Dual Turbolaser Turrets
-- Fire Arc: 1 front/left/back, 1 front/right/back
-- Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
-- Crew: 6
-- Skill: Capital ship gunnery
-- Fire Control: 2D
-- Space Range: 3-15 / 35 / 75
-- Orbital Range: 6km-30km / 70km / 150km
-- Atmosphere Range: 300m-1.5km / 3.5km / 7.5km
-- Rate of Fire: once/two rounds
-- Damage: 7D
28 Dual Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 10 front, 6 left, 6 right, 6 back
-- Scale: Frigate (+10D)
-- Crew: 2
-- Fire Control: 3D
-- Space Range: 2-10 / 25 / 50
-- Orbital Range: 4km-20km / 50km / 100km
-- Atmosphere Range: 200n-1km / 2.5km / 5km
-- Rate of Fire: once/round
-- Damage: 5D
30 Medium Ion Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 10 front, 7 left, 7 right, 6 back
-- Scale: Frigate (+10D)
-- Crew: 2
-- Fire Control: 2D+2
-- Space Range: 1-10 / 25 / 50
-- Orbital Range: 2-20 / 50 / 100 km
-- Atmosphere Range: 100m-1km / 2.5km / 5km
-- Damage: 4D
24 Quad Laser Cannons
-- Fire Arc: 6 front, 6 left, 6 right, 6 back
-- Scale: Starship (+6D)
-- Crew: 1
-- Skill: Starship Gunnery
-- Space Range: 1-3 / 12 / 25
-- Orbital Range: 2km-6km / 24km / 50km
-- Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m / 1.2km / 2.5km
-- Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
-- Damage: 6D
10 Tractor Beam Projectors
-- Fire Arc: 4 front, 3 left, 3 right
-- Scale: Starship (+6D) or Frigate (+10D), takes one round to switch, during which projector cannot be used
-- Crew: 3
-- Space Range: 1-3 / 10 / 20
-- Orbital Range: 2km-6km / 20km / 40km
-- Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m / 1km / 2km
-- Damage: 5D

Last edited by Scots Dragon on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I’m not a huge fan of that particular ship, but I’m a fan of EC Henry’s work in general. Several of his projects are on my list of things to do.

With the two big Destroyer-Scale turrets, I’d be inclined to call that an Assault Cruiser. It’s certainly fast enough...

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Looks good. I’m not a huge fan of that particular ship, but I’m a fan of EC Henry’s work in general. Several of his projects are on my list of things to do.

With the two big Destroyer-Scale turrets, I’d be inclined to call that an Assault Cruiser. It’s certainly fast enough...

Change is made.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Change is made.

Cool. Thanks for sharing, Dragon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
Fair enough.

So, I did some research on this, and one thing I noticed is that it actually has six forward tractor beam projectors arranged around its hangar bay, as seen in the most prominent official images.

I think it would be easy enough to surmise from that how the heavier tractor beams work.

Basically, I'd handle it as follows, by adding this to the standard array of tractor beam abilities;
Quote:
Special: The tractor beam projectors of this ship may be used in composite mode. During this, treat six of its tractor beams in a single fire arc as a single tractor beam of Dreadnought (+12D) scale.

This can also be added to a dreadnought scale vessel that wishes to use its own tractor beams to affect another dreadnought. And indeed, usually only dreadnoughts can do this, but the Starhawk had a unique arrangement going on.

Possibly its tractor beams also have a higher base strength than normal, closer to 8-9D than the standard 5-6D or so. I mean, those are pretty big projectors even by the normal standards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: