The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Non-Star Wars Settings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Non-Star Wars Settings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Non-Star Wars Settings Reply with quote

Speaking of non-Star Wars Settings, what level of detail do you expect in one? While working on my setting for Hunters Among the Stars, I have written up quite a lot of information. I have six or seven specific species, including their home worlds, that I have done up as examples for players to use, either as their own character species or as a model from which to create their own. Several of the sample vehicles/starships also come from the species that I have produced as well.

In an earlier iteration of the game, the Humans were meant to be the big bad looming over the galaxy, and the premise of the game focused on the PCs being members of alien races that had been affected by the Human encroachment on their home worlds. They were resistance fighters against the Human authorities and would strike out against them wherever they could. This means that I have a lot of detail about the Human species in the setting, but now that I have gone down a different path I'm considering toning back on those elements a little bit.

With Star Wars we had a ton of setting info that had been ingrained into us by the movies and novels and comics, and the bulk of what was written for the RPGs either reiterated what we already knew or expanded heavily upon it. But with something I'm creating from scratch I have only what flares up in my own imagination to go with. My intent with what I was creating originally was to give the players the basis or main plot of the setting with those few examples, and give them the tools to create their own species and worlds as they went to build their own galaxy with.

So how much, or little, setting info would you expect in a new game?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having working with friends created entire systems, the more the background the more it is interesting it is to other people.

Now mini6 seems to have a default of 4 pages or so for a setting.

I am working on a three way setting that can be crossed over. Set in 1938.
MI13 the occult investigation (British) Europe and British colonies
MI18 the alien investigation (British) Europe and British colonies
PIA paranormal investigation agency (USA) the world

Going to be interesting to try to get 4 pages for each, without making a mess of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: