The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone Jet/Jetpack or Aerial Trooper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Clone Jet/Jetpack or Aerial Trooper
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Clone Jet/Jetpack or Aerial Trooper Reply with quote

While doing research for creating a stat block for Clone Jet/Jetpack Trooper I have run into a snag. Since I have not played the games in which these appear I need to come to the community for help.

The version that appears in The Clone Wars Campaign Guide for Saga edition only gives generic equipment. I was able to figure out with a high degree of confidence what those specific pieces of equipment are. So far, so good.

Now we run into Canon vs. Legends.

In Legends it states the Jet Troopers are issued a Merr-Sonn electromagnetic pulse launcher. There are no stats listed for this item in any resources I checked. I did however find the Merr-Sonn DEMP Carbine which mechanically fits perfectly and the appearance is similar.

Again so far, so good.

There is a small variation when the Kaminoan resistance Jet Troopers are described. It is stated they "... carried DC-15x sniper rifles as one of their primary weapons.". So, they have access to additional equipment for a primary load out. As they are not fighting droids, it doesn't make sense they would have the DEMP Carbine. Looking at the canon Jet Trooper their primary load out includes the DC-15 Blaster Rifle, DC-15A Blaster Rifle, and Missile Launcher. So I added these options to their available primary load out.

So far, everything is working out and makes sense. The issue is when we introduce the canon version. This version has four primary weapon load outs and no thermal detonators. So which version(s) should I work from? All of them? I thought about condensing them into one, but the electromagnetic pulse launchers and thermal detonators dramatically change things IMO.

CLONE JET/JETPACK TROOPER or AERIAL TROOPER
Source: The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (p.151)

Source: Wookieepedia LEGENDS

Source: Wookieepedia LEGENDS (Kaminoan resistance)

Source: Wookieepedia CANON

Here is the stat block I am using:

CLONE JET TROOPER/AERIAL CLONE TROOPERS
Certain missions call for more mobility among the clone troopers, so the Kaminoans train a number of clones in the use of jet packs. While the average clone can strap on a jet pack and fly a few hundred feet, jet troopers are trained to optimize the limited fuel capacity of jet packs by alternating ground movement with short "burst" flights to get them over obstacles or circumvent difficult terrain.

CLONE JET TROOPER/AERIAL CLONE TROOPERS
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 6D, dodge 6D, brawling parry 5D, missile weapons 5D, vehicle blaster 5D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
MECHANICAL 3D

Jet pack operation 6D
PERCEPTION 3D
STRENGTH 3D

Brawling 5D
TECHNICAL 3D
Move: 10
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DC-15 blaster rifle with grenade launcher (5D+2), 6 EMP grenades (5D ionization), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)
Sources: Ultimate NPC Collection v.85 (p.153, "Clone Sky Trooper"), The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (p.150-151), wookiepedia, tweaks by +Oliver Queen
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Canon/Legends thing can be a real pain in situations like this.

I think maybe the Canon version would be the best one to go with as it is conversion from existing official stats and it would keep it consistant with other straight conversions. However, you could maybe have the other Legends loadouts in a Game Notes section or something similar for those that might want to use those, it'd save having four different stat blocks

speaking of which, should this one you posted have the Missile Weapons and Grenade skills considering his weapons?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
The whole Canon/Legends thing can be a real pain in situations like this.

DING ... DING ... DING

Xain Arke wrote:
I think maybe the Canon version would be the best one to go with as it is conversion from existing official stats and it would keep it consistant with other straight conversions. However, you could maybe have the other Legends loadouts in a Game Notes section or something similar for those that might want to use those, it'd save having four different stat blocks

Have to give this some more thought. Thank you for the comments. Other views are good =)

Xain Arke wrote:
... should ... have the Missile Weapons and Grenade skills considering his weapons?

Yeah, probably missile weapon would be best fit.

This is what we have for equipment load outs and where they came from:

LEGENDS: Clone Wars Campaign Guide p150-151
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DC-15 blaster rifle with grenade launcher (5D+2), 6 EMP grenades (5D ionization), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)

LEGENDS: Star Wars: Battlefront I
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DEMP Carbine (5D ionization), 2 V1 thermal detonators (5D), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)

LEGENDS: Star Wars: Battlefront I
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DEMP Carbine (5D ionization), 2 V1 thermal detonators (5D), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)

LEGENDS: Star Wars: Battlefront II
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DC-15x sniper rifle (4D), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)

CANON
Equipment: Phase II Clone Trooper armor (+2D Physical, +1D Energy, -1D Dexterity and related skill checks) jet pack (Move 80; 240kmh; 60 minutes fuel), DEMP carbine (5D ionization) or DC-15 (5D+1) or DC-15A blaster rifle (5D+1) or missile launcher (6D), DC-17 blaster pistol (4D)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: