The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wounds as Multiple of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG -> Wounds as Multiple of 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stan Shinn
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Wounds as Multiple of 5 Reply with quote

I find that comparing multiples of numbers when determining wound levels sometimes strains my brain. By contrast, I recently played Mutants and Masterminds 3e, and it determines wounds by multiples of 5, so each multiple of 5 over the defense roll is a higher wound level.

Has anyone ever tried a 'multiple of 5' method like this in Star Wars D6 1e? Or in 2.5e? So instead of this:

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll ≥ Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll ≥ 2 × Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll ≥ 3 × Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded


It would work something like this:

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll 0-4 > Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll 5-9 > Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll 10+ > Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wounds as Multiple of 5 Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
I find that comparing multiples of numbers when determining wound levels sometimes strains my brain. By contrast, I recently played Mutants and Masterminds 3e, and it determines wounds by multiples of 5, so each multiple of 5 over the defense roll is a higher wound level.

Has anyone ever tried a 'multiple of 5' method like this in Star Wars D6 1e? Or in 2.5e? So instead of this:

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll ≥ Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll ≥ 2 × Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll ≥ 3 × Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded


It would work something like this:

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll 0-4 > Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll 5-9 > Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll 10+ > Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded


My guess is no, no one has used that 5s chart (but of course I could be wrong). In my experience, most GMs don't tweak the character damage system. They usually just choose 1e (or 1eRC) or the 2e+ one.

Yeah, multiples suck. In 1e it is easier to get stunned than 2e, but it is very rare for an attack to score incapacitated in a single hit (and almost impossible to score mortally wounded in a single hit). The X2 to incapacitate made it really hard to take down a stormtrooper with a single shot, which does not at all reflect the reality of the films. In my 1e days, to somewhat tweak it a different way we added +1D to all blaster weapon damage codes. Then to further tweak, I prophetically added a wounded twice status for PCs and important NPCs. Then 2e introduced the difference in rolls, and I wished I had thought of that in my 1e days.

For comparison, here are two other charts:

Quote:
o2e + R&E + D6 Space
Character Damage Chart
DR>SR
0-3 Stunned
4-8 Wounded
9-12 Incapacitated
13-15 Mortally Wounded
16+ Killed
Quote:
Whill's CHARACTER DAMAGE CHART

R≥2D . - / -
.R≥D . S / -

.D>R . Wound Status
. 1-7. . W / S
.8-10. . I / U
11-14. M / U+A
. 15+ . K / W+U


I feel your 5s chart swings too far in the other direction. 1e RAW is too light, but your proposal is significantly deadlier than 2e RAW, with only a difference of 5 to incapacitate and only 10 to mortally wound! NPCs sometimes have lucky rolls and PCs sometimes have unlucky rolls. If you run that I think you'll find that PCs will be getting captured and killed too easily.

My chart is slightly deadlier than 2e RAW, with stun moving back where it was in 1e and incapacitate coming 1 point lower and mortally wounded coming 2 points lower. When I also instituted mooks not having wounded twice or mortally wounded, that shifted things a bit back towards PCs (and important NPCs).

The 2e chart is not bad but the range cut offs feel arbitrary and my math brain doesn't like that. My chart is based on die code average rolls (1D = 3.5) because the wound statuses are equated to dice values. See this thread for the thought process behind it and other mods.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library


Last edited by Whill on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stan Shinn
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! If the current 5s technique I floated is too deadly, what about this chart (everything bumps up by 5):

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = No effect
Damage Roll 0-4 > Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll 5-9 > Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll 10-14 > Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll 15+ > Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! If the current 5s technique I floated is too deadly, what about this chart (everything bumps up by 5):

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = No effect
Damage Roll 0-4 > Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll 5-9 > Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll 10-14 > Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll 15+ > Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded

That's a little less deadly than 2e RAW, but it is not far off and I do like that one better your first one.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stan Shinn
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Stan Shinn wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! If the current 5s technique I floated is too deadly, what about this chart (everything bumps up by 5):

Damage Roll < Strength Roll = No effect
Damage Roll 0-4 > Strength Roll = Stunned
Damage Roll 5-9 > Strength Roll = Wounded
Damage Roll 10-14 > Strength Roll = Incapacitated
Damage Roll 15+ > Strength Roll = Mortally Wounded

That's a little less deadly than 2e RAW, but it is not far off and I do like that one better your first one.


Cool. Here's one last stab that's closer to your custom damage rules. Thoughts on this versus my last post? I think it's like yours but just tweak to have everything be a multiple of five for easy, consistent math. Maybe too deadly now?


R>D Stun or No Effect
R≥ -5 = - / -
R> D = S / -

D>R Wound Status
0-4 = W / S
5-9 = I / U
10-14 = M / U+A
15+ = K / W+U
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
Maybe too deadly now?


R>D Stun or No Effect
R≥ -5 = - / -
R> D = S / -

D>R Wound Status
0-4 = W / S
5-9 = I / U
10-14 = M / U+A
15+ = K / W+U

I think it's too deadly. You are back to what you first proposed with only 5 over being I and only 10 over being M.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stan Shinn
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 03 Jan 2020
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the feedback! I truly appreciate it Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0