The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hypermatter, hyperspace and special materials
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hypermatter, hyperspace and special materials Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Quote:
In fact, Threepio specifically refers to “the spice mines of Kessel” in the opening scenes of ANH, so unless there’s some way to resolve that contradiction, Solo is in conflict with Star Wars canon.

That's relatively simple... more than spice is mined at Kessel. Perhaps droids, unaffected by spice, are preferred for the spice mines, while humanoids are used elsewhere (like with coaxium).

But in Solo, the droids were working the coaxium mines, not the spice mines. In fact, it was a major plot point in the coaxium heist that L3-37 incited a droid rebellion to disrupt mine security.

Sure, there were droids, but there were also slaves, and the slaves were doing a lot of the mining work... L3-37 incited a rebellion among the administrative slaves (i.e. droids) which spread to the mine slaves (mostly humanoids).

In a spice mining operation, you might see mostly droids.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CRIME SYNDICATES compete for resources – food, medicine, and HYPERFUEL.
Darklighter79 wrote:
Well, there was no mention in Solo that the fuel was scarce. Only that it was, among food and medicine, an asset of competition between crime syndicates. It was valuable at that time because the Imperial economy was set on military expansion, especially increase the Imperial Navy.

True, it doesn't say it is scarce per se, but the fact that they are competing for these resources means they aren't plentiful.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
boccione2k
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a topic discussing the intricacies of Hypermatter in the SWU, which I think you'll find interesting.

Yep, I've read it, and is indeed very interesting, thanks!

Quote:
Yes, he meant planet core. Look, he said these substances are created by the interaction of stars and planets with hyper shadows, not that they necessarily are created at the exact spot of the planet core. When you are making up scientific gobbledegook it isn't always necessary to be extremely detailed and precise. I mean, we can use are own imaginations too. The coaxium could have formed during the system formation, and migrated up from the core before the planet solidified. Not a big deal.

Exactly, I envisioned it a bit like the transuranics, some geologists theorize that convective motions beetwen Earth core and the mantle can move up bubbles of heavy elements and from there volcanism and tectonics bring them up to mining deep. Same things for "hyperbarides" in star wars. Kyber crystals are flawless krystallizations of very rare hyperbarides. This neatly ties in with the existence of syntetic lightsaber crystals, created by studying natural ones and using technological means together with the Force to recreate te process (eg. industrial diamonds making taken to the maximum level)

Also I differentiate beetwen hyperfuel (refined transuranics-like hyperbarides) and Coaxium, a bit like the difference beetwen uranium and plutonium. (I do like to find real life analogues to have a quicky comprehensible explanation at the table)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: