The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What Does R2 know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What Does R2 know?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: What Does R2 know? Reply with quote

Does R2D2 know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker? I mean, Obi-wan obviously knows. Yoda knows. But we do not know if R2 knows, and just kept his beep-hole shut.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What Does R2 know? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Does R2D2 know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker? I mean, Obi-wan obviously knows. Yoda knows. But we do not know if R2 knows, and just kept his beep-hole shut.

During the production of RotS, Lucas said that the entire Star Wars Saga was based on stories Artoo was telling to the Keeper of the Journal of the Whills a century after RotJ.

Artoo was a witness to Anakin and Padme's secret marriage. To hide knowledge of Padme's children, Bail had Threepio's memory wiped because he is a blabbermouth, but not Artoo.

Sure Artoo is just an astromech droid, but I don't think it is beyond reason that he could have had enough experience with humans in all of his years to understand the basics of human reproduction. He could put 2 and 2 together and figure out Anakin was the father in Padme's pregnancy.

I like to think that Artoo knows. I think the idea that no one realizes how much Artoo knows is entertaining.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always in the mindset that Artoo knows everthing, maybe even is the one that sets everthing in motion.

With the legends concept of the shards, and their "iron knights" the driod jedi I always it in that context plausable that Artoo was someting similar, a full sentient droid, and even force sensitive.

the latter though in the context of the shars. but I think Artoo is the one who knows it all, and he also doesn't tell it all, making me thingk he may have his own little aganda going on
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What Does R2 know? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

During the production of RotS, Lucas said that the entire Star Wars Saga was based on stories Artoo was telling to the Keeper of the Journal of the Whills a century after RotJ.

This is how I reconcile all bad SW content and weird inconsistencies in the good content. It's all stories told in the future based on a kernel of truth but the details may be wrong. Or even definitely ARE wrong. It's a big galaxy, and I like to think Palpatine coming back to life, or people watching the planets explode overhead, are a completely inaccurate retelling in an epic poem recited on some backwater tech-regressed planet.

I don't think R2 knows it all, hence, his telling of the events contains weird inconsistencies and his own inaccurate/incomplete perspectives that get recorded into the Journal of the Whills or whatever.

I am rereading a lot of ancient Greek "history" right now and it's full of stuff like that. The line between myth and reality is heavily blurred, to put it mildly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: