The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Testing a House Rule Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Testing a House Rule Idea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Testing a House Rule Idea Reply with quote

It's a fairly simple one, but I wanted to throw it out there:

Being Force Sensitive is not Free. To become Force Sensitive, you must put 1D in the Force attribute. That makes you Force Sensitive. If you want to acquire Force Sensitivity in play, you spend 20 CP to get 1D in the Force Attribute.

Without any Force Skills, you can't really DO anything with the force attribute, but having 1D in the Force attribute lets you learn force skills and improve the Force attribute.

In this, Force powers are learned, but can also be improved as specialties... so, I have to learn Concentrate to use it with my Control skill, but I could then Specialize Control into Concentrate.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the idea of "specializing" in individual powers. However, I feel that paying a "standard" specialization cost makes things a bit too awkward if this rule is meant to drop into an otherwise RAW system.

I've contemplated something similar and came up with the following:

A character can "specialize" in a power by spending 1 CP. Then, when rolling the skill (control, for example), he gets a +1 bonus on the roll. He can keep expending CPs to increase the specialization bonus up to the number of D he has in the skill (so, a character with 4D in control can spend up to 4 CPs--1 at a time between adventures--to raise the bonus up to +4). He'll need 5D before he can raise the bonus to +5.

20 CP seems a little steep to become force sensitive. For that price, maybe throw in a FP when becoming force sensitive to represent the "awakening" to new possibilities?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

20 CP seems a little steep to become force sensitive. For that price, maybe throw in a FP when becoming force sensitive to represent the "awakening" to new possibilities?

20 CP is the standard cost in R&E; p. 36. I agree, it should come with a bonus force point (and standard rules are that it does)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that for someone self taught maybe, where they are spec in certain powers, as that's what they, themselves learned. BUT for established jedi, it seems weird to me.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see that for someone self taught maybe, where they are spec in certain powers, as that's what they, themselves learned. BUT for established jedi, it seems weird to me.

Consider a Jedi specializing in Lightsaber Combat. Sure, they have access to trainers for lots of other powers, but they spend most of their time blocking blaster bolts from battle droids.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which to me would come under learning one of the lightsaber fighting forms, iirc Form 4 deals with blaster fire...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its way more interesting from a roleplaying perspective to allow characters (Jedi or not) to specialize in force powers.

I know arguments could be made either way for the following, but I'll offer an example from films:

To me, it makes sense the Palpatine would have a higher alter skill than Yoda, but from what we see, it seems that Yoda may be better at telekinesis than Palpatine.

If Palpatine had 15D in Alter, and Yoda had, for example, 13D, he might also have +11 or +12 in telekinesis (if using my suggestion, above) which would allow him to override Palpatine's telekinetic control over an object (and potentially discourage Palpatine from trying to "wrestle" control when he knows success is unlikely).

Specializing in specific force powers also creates ample opportunity for individual Jedi characters to economically focus on their character concept (with regards to force use), which is tremendously helpful in an all Jedi campaign (or even a game wherein more than one player is playing a Jedi or force sensitive). All the templates given in TotJ Companion, for example, become much more diverse if we can expect that the Jedi Healer will specialize in healing powers, setting him apart from other Jedi who may have similar force skill dice allocation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: