The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kit-bash &/or Scratch-build Vehicles and Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Kit-bash &/or Scratch-build Vehicles and Ships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick post before I go to bed.

[5.] Speeder Bikes

Modelling notes:
These are small. On my screen the figures are twice their actual height! The riders (cut off their lead bases) are either 15mm scale Laserburn models from Tabletop Games or the 15mm ones from the Traveller (RP) boxes, both of which I bought in the early 1980s - it's so long I cannot always recall which figures came from which range!

The speeder bikes' long bodies are made from plastic 'micro' scale x-wing bodies, from the ones that used to come in plastic novelty eggs. I had collected enough for my space battle needs, and so wanted to use the spares for something else. I got the staggered effect by not quite clipping them together! The square-ish blocks with the circles attached at the back are buttons torn out of a broken pocket calculator!

Stats:
I just used standard speeder bike stats, although I think I did come up with stats of a 'heavier' version of speeder bike. Those I can't find now.

Last edited by StarPadre on Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now those are really cool looking Speeder Bikes
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Xain Arke.

[6.] Junk Freighter

Modelling Notes:
The ship is called the 'Lynx' because of what it was scratch-built from ...

The bottle illustrated is a a slightly more modern version. The one I used had a hook shaped hanger which you could flick out from a recess in the surface of the bottle, which proved great for putting pipes, plates and other apparently technical gubbins in!

Campaign Background:
Very much a junk freighter, and not very comfortable. The floor plans show how the galley is also the sleeping area - the beds being recessed into the floor, rising up when necessary, thus meaning that one cramped space was used by everyone for everything, except for actually flying the ship. My PC NR "Mission Teams" were often given such tramp freighters so that they would not draw too much attention in the backwater places they were operating in, although perhaps another reason was that resources were tight and these sort of ships were all that were available.

Stats:
Craft: Bryntac Class 12 Light Freighter 'The Lynx'
Type: Light Freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 26m
Skill: Space Transports: Bryntac Class 12
Crew: 1 to 2 (can co ordinate)
Passengers: 5
Cargo Capacity: 60 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Hyper' Multipl: x2
Nav' Comp': Yes
Maneuv': +2
Space: 3
Atmosphere: 270; 765km
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 1D

Sensors:
Passive 10/0D
Search 40/2D
Scanners 25/1D
Focus 2/3D

Weapons: 1 Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Space Range: 1 3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100 300m/1.2KM/2.5KM
Damage: 4D
Fire Control: 1D

Deck Plan:
On A4 paper this is 15mm scale - exactly the same size as the actual model, which was intended for 15mm figures. I have no idea how it scales here but the bed recesses are a bit longer than a human is tall.

You can hopefully see just how basic the bunking arrangements are, with beds that emerge from recesses in the floor. The bridge is not shown - it sits above the lounge area - the clamberhatch leads to it. On the model it is the little boxy thing on top at the front!

Last edited by StarPadre on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 am; edited 4 times in total
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[7.] Heavy Speeder ('Speeder Bee')

Modelling Notes:
The front half is a resin model of a science fiction vehicle. I cannot recall what the rest of it looked like/ It was wheeled - perhaps you can make out the 'mud-guard' that went over the front wheels. The rear is made from the top of a 'Tippex' (liquid paper) bottle! There are also some pocket calculator buttons on it (when the calculator stopped working, I opened it and put the bits in my bits box.) You might also be able to tell that the rear-sides are made from the limbs of some model kit fighting-robot! The last time I used it (a 'home-school' adventure session with my two little boys, in the first weeks of the lock down, which motivated them to write long stories) my 9 year old broke it. The hasty repairs with superglue are also visible!

Campaign Background:
This heavy-ish speeder (the SW equivalent of a RW 'armoured van') is meant for worlds with inclement or extreme weather conditions. Inside it is snug, warm and dry. This armed model allows the crew to fend off unwanted attention in the wilderness, and it's moderate armour means it can be used for security patrols etc. Note also the rear-view window, just to keep an eye out for pursuers closing in from behind.

Stats:
Craft: Speeder Bee (Cherub Plains Skimmer)
Type: Heavy Speeder
Scale: Speeder
Length: 12m
Skill: Repulsorlift operation: Heavy Speeder
Crew Skill: Varies, typically repulsor lift opn 3D
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton
Cover: Full
Altitude Range: Ground - 15m
Cost: 45,000 (new); 24,000 (used)
Manoeuvrability: 2D
Move: 100; 275 Kmh
Body Strength: 3D
Shields: 1D (physical only)

Weapons: Two Laser Cannons (fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 25 200/600/1Km
Damage: 4D+1

(edit) Some 'in game' pictures ...

On the planet Parapet One, After having been damaged in a fight with some Imperial Army troopers, then only partially repaired during an attack from some red leaf lizards, the Speeder Bee was limping along through the swampy area south of Mynarr Arena when it was attacked by the local primitives (diminutive, spear armed, humanoids) who tried to net it!

Then later, as it approached Mynarr Arena, my two boys' PCs discovered that (of course) their firefight with the Imperial Army had not gone unreported, and they were captured by stormtroopers (who were stationed at every gateway into the walled town) ...

My two lads are now prisoners of the Empire! Next adventure = escape!
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[8.] Mobile Command Base

Modelling Notes:
This was made the 'old fashioned' scratch-build way, i.e. from scratch! I just glued cut-out plasticard pieces together then added panels etc.

Game Background:
This is meant to represent what is described on p.71 of the Imperial Sourcebook 1st Edition. There was no accompanying picture, and so I thought I would just make something that looked heavy and military.

Stats:
As p.71 in the sourcebook.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[9.] Drop Shuttle

Modelling Notes:
This was made froma plug in air freshener! ‘Nuff said!

Stats:
Craft: L KIRD 14
Type: Light Cargo Shuttle [Sublight]
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 22m
Skill: Space Transports (Drop Shuttle, L Kird 14)
Passengers: 10 (cramped)
Cargo Capacity: 12.5 metric tons
Consumables: 1.5 days
Cost: 165,000 (new); 80,000 (used)
Manoeuv': 1D
Space: 3
Atmosphere: 245; 740 Kmh
Hull: 3D

Sensors:
Passive 10/1D
Scanners 18/1D
Search 30/1D+1
Focus 1/2D

Weapons:
None

Campaign Background:
This vessel is utilised by some of the older bulk freighters. It is a basic ground to orbit light cargo transport, without hyperdrive engines, with pretty minimal facilities for in-system flight. It descends from orbit in a ‘dropping’ manner, thus its name. It is a controlled fall, but it still feels pretty darn frightening to any passengers who have not experienced it before! Those starports which are regularly visited or serviced by such vessels often have specially adapted tractor beams, designed to help drop shuttles get their act together at the ground end of their plummeting flight – to reduce the strain on their engines, which is especially important on high-gravity worlds. Some bulk freighter models use drop shuttles because they were never built for atmospheric entry themselves, although other bulk freighters have been forced to make modifications to carry the shuttle because they no longer meet some flight controllers’ standard performance requirements for permissible down-port docking. Other freighter captains have opted for drop shuttle simply because they themselves don’t trust their hulking rust buckets to make a safe planet fall!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in and say that these are super nifty! Your players are lucky to have you!
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Admiral Redstar. My only Star Wars RP 'players' right now are my boys, 9 and 11, and they are not that bothered - but it gets them off their gaming tablets!

I do hope some others chip in, even if just to say something technical could be improved, or even just to say they might incorporate something into their own adventures!

[10.] Ground to Air/Atmosphere Ion Cannon [IMPERIAL]

Modelling Notes:
A tic-tac box, some wheels left over from a model I kit-bashed into a repulsor craft, and some bits off several manga-style fighting robot kits.

Campaign Background:
Deployed to temporary or primitive starport downs in operational zones or small, backwater Imperial bases in order to provide some ground to air/atmosphere defence against starfighters.

The large semi-spherical sensor array on the side (as well as more such components on the other side) are tied into the fire control to allow better targeting of enemy fighters long before they are in visual range, indeed just as they begin to penetrate atmosphere.

Stats:
Craft: Mobile Ground Air/Atmosphere Ion Cannon
Type: Wheeled Ion Artillery & Sensor Array Mount
Skill: Vehicle Ops: GAAIC
Crew: 2;3
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: 800 Kg
Maneuverability: 0D
Move: 17/50Kmh (Road)
Body Strength: 3D

Sensors:
Passive 30/0D
Scanners 55/1D
Search 100/2D
Focus 8/3D

Weapon:
Ground to Air/Atmosphere Ion Cannon (Starfighter Scale)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 2 (Includes Sensors Operator)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range: 100-500/20Km/100Km
Damage: 5D+1
Note: The gun cannot fire more than once every third turn due to the necessary power accumulation.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that shower gel model is hysterical. And amazing.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay, that shower gel model is hysterical. And amazing.

Old school kit-bashing at it's finest Smile

reminds me so much of the deodorant hover tank from Games Workshop White Dwarf Magazine
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
... reminds me so much of the deodorant hover tank from Games Workshop White Dwarf Magazine

Ah ha. You like deoderant conversions, do you? Then watch this space ...

... at least in a few hours, when I've sorted the boys' lunch and taken them on an adventure walk.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I sort the deoderant post (!), now that I have been in the attic, retrieved old files, and managed to get my scanner working, I have put a deck plan in for the Lynx (the shower gel freighter above). Have a look if you like.

Note: This is a scan of a plan I made when an electronic typewriter, pens and pencils was better than anything my pc and dot matrix printer could produce!
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[11.] MYEDROLARIAN ARMOURED MAZE SKIMMER

For Xain Arke!

Modelling Notes:
This IS a deodorant bottle – with parts of a second. These bottles can make for great (moving!) turrets. I had to model the extending legs as extended as otherwise I could not put the model down. Those legs allow it to land on the flat, despite the belly turret! The background notes below explain the weirdness of this weirdo!

I never really weathered it or anything as it only got used once and I was in a rush to complete it. I ought to do so one day, and would if I ever used it again.

Campaign Background Notes

This vehicle is found on the planet Myedrolar (AKA Gohlag 6). It is heavily modified to perform in a very particular environment – a truly massive (continent sized) maze of channels and crevices, created many years ago when very powerful sonic weapons were employed to great effect! Those weapons turned vast regions into mazes of deeply cracked rock, hundreds of large channels, with thousands of much narrower crevices. Two humanoid races, the Rourrh and the Grawdin, now fight an almost ritualistic ‘forever’ war within that zone.

In that region there is the 'maze top' (the original ground surface) and the 'maze bottom' (at the bottom of the crevices). Warfare of a bizarrely ritualistic kind occurs in both environments. This repulsor craft skims along the crevices at planetary-crust, surface level, one turret able to shoot above and one able to shoot down into the crevice. It looks like a boat floating down a river, but there is no water in the channel!

Like I mentioned before, the weirdly long legs extend so that the thing can land without crushing the bottom turret.

Here are some scans from my original scenario (forgive their pen, pencil and electric typewriter nature, but that was the best I had at the time!), and two chapters lifted from the text, one on the Forever War and one about the War Zones …

(This is the first page of a two page map, but hopefully you get the idea)

The Forever War (Excerpt from scenario notes)

The war has raged for so long, and the cost been so great, that it has settled into a "pattern" of sorts. To outsiders it may seem to have become rather formal in nature - a very deadly sport. This is because both sides, though unwilling to cease fighting the enemy, are terrified of destroying this the last world their peoples possess. The weapons employed are restricted in size, the zones over which they fight are static and limited. They each hope to win by attrition, to fight on until the enemy can stand no more; to remain strong enough, long enough to gain an "edge", after which a final, real "push" will take place. Only then will the battle leave the traditional war zones, as piece by piece the enemy's lands are conquered, the enemy race enslaved and punished. Nothing less will satisfy the Myedrolarian peoples.

Both sides supplement their fighting forces with droids. These and all their war gear are brought in from off world (usually cheap, used equipment purchased in bulk from junk shippers) and modified for war in the zones. The Grawdin fight in warrior packs, the Rourrh in fighting clan sub units. Most Grawdin and Rourrh are obsessed with the struggle and their hatred of the enemy and have very little interest in the bigger galactic conflict. Those Grawdin who do tire of the conflict, and Rourrh of failing clans (neither being uncommon occurrences), usually take to the stars as space farers, merchants, hired guards and crew members. They rarely serve as soldiers or mercenaries: if a Grawdin pack's will to fight resurfaces it tends to return ‘home’ rather than fight anywhere else; while star faring Rourrh have accepted in leaving Myedrolar that the only honourable role left to them is to procure war gear.

Surprisingly, starfaring Myedrolarians avoid encounters with their old enemy, and if they do encounter each other then neither side tends to fight. Starfaring Grawdin do not want blood, the Rourrh no longer see fighting as their honourable role. To the rest of the galaxy's inhabitants, it is a strange sight indeed to watch star faring Rourrh and Grawdin bands exchanging awful yet formal curses and threats, then quietly, and without any of the apparently inevitable physical struggle, walking away from each other. Just as their war has become formalised and somewhat conventional, their manner of cursing has a long established pattern, in which both sides play their part then retire (if not on Gohlag 6).

Starfaring Myedrolarians do have obligations, however. Grawdin must pay the ‘War fifth’ - none are excepted – being a fifth of all profits made (in any manner) paid as a tax to provide funds for the war on Myedrolar. ‘Procurers’ travel the stars keeping a track of their wandering siblings, and to obtain the fifth. The procurers then purchase and ship equipment required for the war. Starfaring Rourrh, on the other hand, being much smaller in number, send all profits back home in the form of war supplies, excepting what profits they see fit to retain in order that they may grow richer, and thus ultimately able to send even more to Myedrolar.

The War Zones (Excerpt from scenario notes)

Many years ago now, the Myedrolarian war settled itself upon specific regions of the planet, known as the War Zones. There, due to the centuries of incessant warfare, the landscape is rather different to the rest of Myedrolar. Great and small rifts and cracks criss cross the zones, forming a maze like mass of canyons.

This damage was done several centuries ago when war was being fought all over Myedrolar's surface. During a campaign in this region, earthquake weapons were employed, often coupled with very heavy sonic disruptor weapons. Both shattered and cracked buildings and vehicles, then the hills and the very land itself, as waves of disruption met enemy waves and magnified exponentially; as one earthquake, triggered by the Grawdin, was married to another begun by the Rourrh, and the world itself seemed to shake in its orbit!

Since that time, the war fixed itself in this most affected region the region becoming a reminder of the need to limit this war of attrition, or risk destroying Myedrolar just like the Rourrh and Grawdin did each to others’ home-worlds. Over the years, even though an upper limit on weapon size has been accepted, all sorts of weapons have been tried, leaving some regions radio active, and others saturated by persistent, irremovable chemicals. Little now grows there, apart from hardy (often weirdly mutated) weeds. Little fauna lives there, other than hard shelled bugs and deep burrowing worms and grubs.

A form of trench warfare rages there now, though a lot more mobile than normal trench warfare. It is known to the combatants as ‘maze warfare’ and involves war on two levels at once the maze rift bottoms and the ground surface. It is a war of ambush and hit and run. Land vehicles are of little use in such terrain, air cushion vehicles have great difficulty negotiating the steeply walled rifts. Both repulsorlift vehicles and aircraft are vulnerable to sudden attack from weapons hidden from their sensors within the shadows of the crevices beneath them. Smaller vehicles can make safer, if very much slower, progress through the crevices themselves, but are then vulnerable to surprise attacks from warriors hidden above them on the upper slopes and brims of the rifts and valleys.

Can you tell I had been reading a book about fractals at the time? I liked the idea of the players bringing up a map of the area on their console, then zooming in to find basically more of the same!

Infantry thus form an important component of warfare. Vehicles (in numbers or alone) are often protected by a shield of foot scouts and droids, especially the cargo carrying supply vehicles. Some war vehicles are specially designed to travel along the very brims of the trenches, called ‘Maze-Skimmers’, scanning both the upper surface and the trench bottom simultaneously. These are relatively few in numbers because there is nothing manufactured (to the Myedrolarians’ knowledge) to perform such an unusual and specific role. Usually these specialised vehicles are created by heavily modifying generally available repulsorlift craft.

Stats:

Craft: Heavily Modified Mirdall Jin Security Plus
Type: Armoured Security Carrier
Length: 19m
Skill: Repulsorlift operation: Security Carrier
Crew: 1:1 (can combine)
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 2 metric tons
Altitude Range: Ground Level 60m
Cost: XX (new); XX (used)
Maneuverability: 2D
Move: 75; 210Kmh
Body Strength: 4D+2

Weapons: Two Turret Mounted Medium Laser Cannons

Front
Fire Arc: Front, left, right.
Skill: Vehicle blasters
Range: 50 300/800/1.5Km
Damage: 4D

Belly
Fire Arc: All.
Skill: Vehicle blasters
Range: 10 50/120/500 (focused for short range)
Damage: 3D+2
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Maze Skimmer is great Smile

I really like the roller turrets and the greebles on the back. I think the long-legged skids really give it that 60's - 70's pulp sci-fi vibe
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 'greebles' are the rubberized insides of a pocket calculator!

Did you like the world information? I am wondering whether it would be of any interest for me to put up my scenarios, or the information I have on other worlds I created. The info above was only a small part of the scenario as written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: