The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Protocol Droids and Mimicry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Protocol Droids and Mimicry Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
cheshire wrote:
At least, that's how I would run it.

That's fair. Maybe a decent bonus to Con when trying to mimic someone's voice, such that the voice itself is a good facsimile, but it's still dependent on the droid actually being able to play the part?

This all would really depend on the context within the story. If the droid is a PC, then there would definitely be a few con checks with bonuses. If the droid is a tool as part of running the con or part of a heist or whatever, then I might see if there would be skill rolls that would make the players central to the action.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would find it fair to allow any droid with the vocabulator listed to be able to record and playback snippits of any dialogue or speach or sound. I would not allow mimicry without something more advanced or additional hardware though as the sounds 3PO did make in RotJ did sound recorded and somewhat less than as sharp as realistic. Even with better hardware, I would feel to properly impersonate someone the droid would also need programming to fool more than a casual listener as with voice and speech you have not just the sound but the cadence and manners of speaking - the rhythm, the words chosen, how particular accents are placed, etc... Sounding like Grand Moff Tarkin may be enough to fool anyone who has not met or spent time with him like a typical trooper, but to anyone who is in regular close proximity the pattern of speech becomes important to. I would also think such actions would be against the average droid's programming and a layer trying to convince a non-player droid to engage with such deception might be might with all manner of protests regarding how unethical it is.

I do like the idea of hardware and programming to allow droids to do this though - it is great for espionage and assassin droids.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, maybe a +1D-2D to any attempts to mimic a sound or someone's voice? Not enough to be completely flawless, but noticeably better than a human attempting it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see that a recorder with a playback is out of the realm of droid accessoies.

Now this would be a direct copy of the voice when played back, however becuse of the possible limited recording I would apply a Con roll, maybe with a penalty/bonus dpending on the hardware quality
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, maybe a +1D-2D to any attempts to mimic a sound or someone's voice? Not enough to be completely flawless, but noticeably better than a human attempting it.

I think applying a 1D-2D bonus to appropriate skills would be fair, such as Con or Persuade that is reliant on audio, or a security skill involving voice if the password is known for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: