The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Initiative every round
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Initiative every round Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Initiative every round Reply with quote

There have been a lot of discussions about Initiative over the years, both as tangents in threads and topics about it. I even started a short 2018 House Rules thread about my derived Initiative stat. The first sentence of that thread starts, "In my game I have initiative mechanically work as it does in R&E RAW..." But a recent post in the Star Wars D6 - WEG Facebook group asking if Initiative needed to be rolled every round. I thought no, and went to RAW to get the specific citation for him and realized...

This is rather embarrassing, but I must admit that I've been doing Initiative "wrong" for years, even before my house rule. I've been having Initiative rolled at the beginning of an encounter and not re-rolling every round. I've just had the initial rolls stand. I do have new Initiative rolls mid-encounter when something can turn the tide of the battle, like when the side that lost initiative gains some reinforcements, or a third party shows up and enters the battle already in progress.

I'm not even sure when I went astray from RAW. Initiative was new in 2e and I remember liking that they added it, so I'm pretty sure that for my 4-year campaign from 92-96 I went by the book, but sometimes after I started running R&E in 1997 I stopped doing Initiative every round. Maybe I misremembered how it worked during one of my lapses in playing the game regularly, but I just checked D6 Space and it has the option of doing it every round (which says is more realistic) or just at the beginning of an encounter (which keeps combat moving a little is faster). So it is possible that it was an intentional change I made to my game inspired by D6 Space, which came out in 2005, and then forgot it was a alteration to official R&E rules. But it does feel like it has been at least 15 years. Or maybe I came up with it on my own at some point and just forgot that it was a house rule.

Knowing what is really RAW doesn't make me want to change how I do it. So what does everyone else do? Do you do a new initiative roll each round as in RAW? I'm curious if anyone does it like I do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played under multiple GM styles over the years, but when I think about it, my experience roughly paralleled yours. GMs can get pretty overworked running combat scenes, and I think rolling initiative every round is one of those things that just falls by the wayside.

But I agree that it doesn't seem right for initiative to be redone every round without something happening to trigger it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One roll for continuous use of a one action type: like attacking with a blaster pistol each round.

Re-roll of an initiative (some of examples):
a) New action type - like co-pilot leaves his place and moves to ship's turret,
b) Being wounded/stunned, immobilized, ect.,
c) Boost with CP/FP,
d) Boost with a Force Power,
e) Disengage/reengage into combat,
f) Boost by any other source (medicine, drug, technology)
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've played under multiple GM styles over the years, but when I think about it, my experience roughly paralleled yours. GMs can get pretty overworked running combat scenes, and I think rolling initiative every round is one of those things that just falls by the wayside.

But I agree that it doesn't seem right for initiative to be redone every round without something happening to trigger it.

I'm not alone then. What's bad is I have actually been a player a few convention adventures and don't remember if it was every round or not. But they were Sparks so garhkal would know. (One of my three Origins 2009 adventures was the first time I co-played with garhkal although neither of us knew it at the time). What's really bad, I was the high Perception character so I rolled for Initiative and I don't remember for sure. What's really really bad is I was a player in a local campaign for two years around that time and I don't remember (although I am sure I wasn't the Initiative roller in that campaign). The last time I played as a player was a few years ago where garhkal was the GM and I'm not sure, but I wasn't the Initiative roller for that adventure either. I'm getting old.

Darklighter79 wrote:
One roll for continuous use of a one action type: like attacking with a blaster pistol each round.

Re-roll of an initiative (some of examples):
a) New action type - like co-pilot leaves his place and moves to ship's turret,
b) Being wounded/stunned, immobilized, ect.,
c) Boost with CP/FP,
d) Boost with a Force Power,
e) Disengage/reengage into combat,
f) Boost by any other source (medicine, drug, technology)

For those GMs of us not doing it every round, these are all good suggestions of when to consider doing another Initiative roll.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Initiative every round Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So what does everyone else do? Do you do a new initiative roll each round as in RAW? I'm curious if anyone does it like I do.

As i mentioned in that other thread of yours, YES I do roll initiative every round. Never thought anyone didn't do that...

Quote:
I'm not alone then. What's bad is I have actually been a player a few convention adventures and don't remember if it was every round or not. But they were Sparks so garhkal would know. (One of my three Origins 2009 adventures was the first time I co-played with garhkal although neither of us knew it at the time). What's really bad, I was the high Perception character so I rolled for Initiative and I don't remember for sure. What's really really bad is I was a player in a local campaign for two years around that time and I don't remember (although I am sure I wasn't the Initiative roller in that campaign). The last time I played as a player was a few years ago where garhkal was the GM and I'm not sure, but I wasn't the Initiative roller for that adventure either. I'm getting old.

Sparks has been every round.

On that first table, i do remember you rolling initiative every round, but losing a few of the rounds, due to the baddies being on a FP..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Initiative every round Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On that first table, i do remember you rolling initiative every round, but losing a few of the rounds, due to the baddies being on a FP..

Yeah I think that PC had a 4D Perception but even then, you still won't win every round.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Initiative every round Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yeah I think that PC had a 4D Perception but even then, you still won't win every round.

Yup. Had a player with a 5d perception PC< who LOST TWO straight rounds to a 2d+2 THUG group leader.. ALL cause he flubbed BOTH times.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, I think you may have picked that up from me, from back on the Holonet. I switch from rolling initiative every round to rolling for the EXACT situations you described (and those were the words I used to describe when initiative would change).

So blame me.

I only played with rolling every round for a couple years, and it became so monotonous that I felt it needed to be streamlined. Keeping track EVERY ROUND of who acts when was tedious and the constant changes weren't really necessary in my opinion. When I made the change, my players enjoyed it more and felt it made more sense.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Whill, I think you may have picked that up from me, from back on the Holonet. I switch from rolling initiative every round to rolling for the EXACT situations you described (and those were the words I used to describe when initiative would change).

So blame me.

I only played with rolling every round for a couple years, and it became so monotonous that I felt it needed to be streamlined. Keeping track EVERY ROUND of who acts when was tedious and the constant changes weren't really necessary in my opinion. When I made the change, my players enjoyed it more and felt it made more sense.

Grimace, I think it is extremely likely that I did hear that from you, but probably not on the Holonet. It's possible, but it was more likely on the WEG Fan Forum/Fansite. Or possibly chat.

But there is no blame. Only thanks. I like it better this way for the same reasons you do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never remember seeing Whill over on the SWRPGnetwork's holonet.. before it became a ghost town..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I never remember seeing Whill over on the SWRPGnetwork's holonet.. before it became a ghost town..

I've only had 47 posts there ever, from 2004 to 2016. I always preferred WEG official forums/Fan Forums/Fansite/D6 Online, and the Rancor Pit more. Holonet still gets has lot of lurkers reading it or searching for stuff.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rolling initiative every round. It makes combat more dynamic (chaotic and unpredictable). It often opens new tactical options ("if I win initiative this time I'll do ...") and makes combat more colorful (IMO).

Also, it doesn't take much time when players know what to do (when I say "round ends", they grab they dice instinctively to roll initiative). The only problem is that they like to sometimes forgot about wound penalties.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I'm rolling initiative every round. It makes combat more dynamic (chaotic and unpredictable). It often opens new tactical options ("if I win initiative this time I'll do ...") and makes combat more colorful (IMO).

Also, it doesn't take much time when players know what to do (when I say "round ends", they grab they dice instinctively to roll initiative). The only problem is that they like to sometimes forgot about wound penalties.

Thanks for chiming in. That is RAW. I was doing it wrong for years without realizing it. Maybe I'll test doing it every round for an adventure and see how it goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games I have each player, major NPC, and individual group roll initiative once. This order stays static until something changes in the encounter (earthquake, large explosion, new group showing up, etc).

1. Players who hold an action and interrupt another, this becomes their new intiative.
2. A player may reroll initiative, this is a full round action.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:

IIRC, wound penalties, don't impact initiative, as its based on an attribute roll.. much like wound penalties don't impact Per resistance vs force, or str resistance vs damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: