The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power: Phase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Power: Phase Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking somewhat parallels the D&D “spell school” system, of categorizing powers based on their type (using the Sith Disciplines as a basis), and then only allowing different Force beliefs to only access certain categories, likely tied to a Force Advanced Skill of some sort. Jedi wouldn’t have access to Phase / Teleport powers; if a PC wants to learn them, they’d have to track down an alternate Force tradition (like the Aing-Tii) and learn from them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My thinking somewhat parallels the D&D “spell school” system, of categorizing powers based on their type (using the Sith Disciplines as a basis), and then only allowing different Force beliefs to only access certain categories, likely tied to a Force Advanced Skill of some sort. Jedi wouldn’t have access to Phase / Teleport powers; if a PC wants to learn them, they’d have to track down an alternate Force tradition (like the Aing-Tii) and learn from them.

That's one way to do it, but the existing rule of a character needing a master who knows a certain power to learn the power from them covers it. Practitioners of different traditions will know different powers and thus have different powers to teach.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works, too. My concept is part of a larger concept of more structured Force traditions.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Though, isn't that somewhat how the system already works? You have 3 skills that determine how the Force does things, which is analogous to the various D&D schools. Does it make a change in a thing? Then it's Alteration. Does it create energy? Then it's Evocation. Does it bring a thing to you? Then it's Conjuration? Does it change within you? Then it's control. Does it change within another? Then it's Alter.

I don't object to having certain powers be unique to certain traditions.. but since you're working within a Unified Force, then there may be ways to learn that power within your own tradition.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Sith Disciplines on pages 82-83 & 86 of the Tales of the Jedi Companion, where Force powers are further subdivided (although not in any specific lists) as to what they specifically effect. There is evidence in the EU to suggest that Jedi have similar subdivisions, where some Jedi will have aptitudes in one or more "disciplines" (the most obvious example would be the Halcyon/Horn family line, which is adept at mental manipulation, while almost totally lacking the ability to manipulate energy at a distance).

To summarize...
    General - Defy classification, or belong in all disciplines equally

Body - Runs the gamut from healing to mutating and permanently altering living beings into Sithspawn.

Energy - Manipulation of various forms of energy (likely Electromagnetic, Gravitic, and Strong & Weak Nuclear Forces) for effects like TK, force lightning, fire, etc.

Illusions - Extra-mental illusion effects (of which Doppelganger is the only known example) that appear to bypass the target's mind and can also work on droids (and presumably other inorganic sensing systems). The Fallanassi White Current would also be an example here.

Mind - Purely mental effects (Affect Mind, Telepathy, etc)

Mechanical - Ability to sense and affect mechanical constructs (it's possible Anakin Skywalker's mechanical aptitude had some bearing here).

Protection - Powers that defend a Force user from attacks and other Force powers.

To these, and in the context of what is being discussed here, I would suggest adding:
    Movement - Powers that move objects or characters in relation to space and time (including teleportation, phasing, speeding/slowing time, etc.)

Temporal - Powers that can sense both the future and the past.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated realization here, but one of the things I discovered when digging in the Open D6 system for more information on this ability, but one major limitation mentioned was that Phase Shifting only worked on physical objects; energy shields were impassible, and energy weapons still had full effect. Take it for what you will...

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Belated realization here, but one of the things I discovered when digging in the Open D6 system for more information on this ability, but one major limitation mentioned was that Phase Shifting only worked on physical objects; energy shields were impassible, and energy weapons still had full effect. Take it for what you will...

Might be a reason why Star Wars never got into it... I wonder how much normal construction winds up with structural integrity fields.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Might be a reason why Star Wars never got into it... I wonder how much normal construction winds up with structural integrity fields.

My thinking is that most space-going constructs are pretty heavily dependent on field generation for day-to-day operations, with the physical framework and bulkheads serving primarily as a mounting point, wave-guide and backup in case the various fields fail.

Viewed from that perspective, a lot of the walls on ships and space stations would be impassible to the Phase power. Even then, based on the descriptions in Open D6 sources, a successful use of Phase required rolling Control (or its equivalent in those systems) against the Body / Strength DN of the object the power-user wished to pass through (presumably in addition to the Difficulty of using the power in the first place).

So, in the end, it would likely be useful for mundane walls or obstacles on planets and such, but would be completely useless for trying to phase through a magnetically sealed blast door aboard a Star Destroyer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: