The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Interesting Theory...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Interesting Theory...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Interesting Theory... Reply with quote

So, this video from Overlord DVD just popped up on my feed. I've been following some of the rumors and leaks about Disney Wars over the years, and a lot of the ones that turn out to be true trace back to this guy.

For those of you who don't want to sit through the video, he posits that Disney is potentially going to SPOILER: use the World Between Worlds(spoiler link) to relegate the Disney Trilogy to Legends, making it an effective alternate universe. Whether this happens or not will, reportedly, be decided by who wins the current internal battle raging within Disney over control of Lucasfilm and the direction of Star Wars. The source stresses that this is all rumor and unsubstantiated, but he has a pretty solid track record.

All I can say is, if I have to accept the World Between Worlds as canon in order to have the DT relegated to Legends, it may be a sacrifice worth making.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blegh.. Might as well try the "it was all a nightmare/dream" thing.. Would have the same results.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Theory... Reply with quote

That's gracious of you but FYI that you didn't have to use spoiler tags for this. Even if it ends up being true, this wouldn't likely be something they would keep secret and only reveal inside the story of a theatrical film or Disney+ show (what the spoiler policy applies to). And even if they did do that, there isn't any specific post-RotJ film or show announced yet, so they isn't a story to protect spoilers from yet. Of course there is no harm in using spoiler tags when they are not necessary. I just thought I would mention it.

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, this video from Overlord DVD just popped up on my feed. I've been following some of the rumors and leaks about Disney Wars over the years, and a lot of the ones that turn out to be true trace back to this guy.

For those of you who don't want to sit through the video, he posits that Disney is potentially going to SPOILER: use the World Between Worlds(spoiler link) to relegate the Disney Trilogy to Legends, making it an effective alternate universe. Whether this happens or not will, reportedly, be decided by who wins the current internal battle raging within Disney over control of Lucasfilm and the direction of Star Wars. The source stresses that this is all rumor and unsubstantiated, but he has a pretty solid track record.

All I can say is, if I have to accept the World Between Worlds as canon in order to have the DT relegated to Legends, it may be a sacrifice worth making.

Thanks for sharing this. I had to look up World Between Worlds earlier because I didn't remember the name of that lame plot device used to rescue Ahsoka from her death in the past on Rebels.

Kennedy has a couple more years on her contract, so as far as I know the only person that could really be in conflict with her is her boss, the Disney CEO (which does have a transition going on). Meaning that, Kennedy could simply override anyone under her unless her boss forced her to "work with them." Something like this is not impossible but I'm skeptical of this "internal battle" because it sounds like fan projections. Similar sounding clickbait has been shared before when Kennedy was supposedly on the verge of getting fired and replaced by Kevin Fiege of Marvel Studios, and it was later revealed that Kennedy's original contract was up and Disney had actually offered her a three-year extension which she accepted, and that a single SW film was in development by Kevin Fiege.

I'm skeptical of the DT being rebranded as another 'Legends' because the only real good reason for doing that would be to make better movies to replace them, and I am sure Harrison Ford and even Mark Hamill are done with feature films (and sadly there can't be any more films with Carrie Fisher). Recasting new post-classic age actors this soon would probably not go over well, and I think they would know that. Disney blew their 'classic sequel film' wad already on the DT - That was their one chance to continue their story in big way, and for better or worse it is done now, so the only reason for rebooting would be to have a line of post-RotJ novels that didn't have to adhere to DT continuity, which they could do without another canon reboot. (The new post-RotJ timeline would likely be considered the alternate.)

Disney has put a lot of energy into branding the three trilogies of episodes as forming a single "Skywalker Saga". The final episode of it and the "trilogy of trilogies" total package haven't even been available for sale that long. In these uncertain times it would be really too soon for them to remove the most recent trilogy from the saga that is being said to be complete now. And the fact of the matter is, those of us who don't accept the new trilogy are the minority. The box office shows that the DT was a huge success and well-loved by a lot of fans. These fans are the kind of customers every business wants, ones that drool over any product of the brand no matter how crappy it is. Any executive arguing that the DT should be demoted would have major counterpoint they can't deny: all the money the DT has made for the franchise, which is interpreted as they must be doing something right. Because money is obviously what really matters to Disney.

So this rumor/speculation seems to be a lot of wishful thinking by those of us fans in the minority who just can't accept the DT. I just do not see that Disney would have any significant motivation to demote the DT. Our voices aren't significant enough to matter.

garhkal wrote:
Blegh.. Might as well try the "it was all a nightmare/dream" thing.. Would have the same results.

Right. Now they really don't have to do that or contrive any in-story reason like time travel to explain a reboot (Abrams is finally done with SW so he can't Trek it).

There's always been a SW multiverse, even if it hasn't been official. In this franchise there is an overemphasis on the 'one true canon' concept which is embraced by most fans, the ones that are happy about the canon reboot that gave us five new films and a ton of new SW products, and the disgruntled fans who despise the fact that their precious EU was demoted. It's a stupid concept that only one universe can be official and the other is lesser. We don't have to be limited by one universe at a time. I feel it would help Disney in the long run if they officially introduced the multiverse concept for Star Wars and promote the idea that more than one universe can simultaneously be important. They still get the benefit of one universe's continuity not restricting the others. And they could add new universes to the mix, like another post-RotJ timeline that can have new stories that aren't restricted by the EU or the DT. And they wouldn't even need any World Between World to connect universes unless characters are going to cross over from one universe to another, something Star Wars has never done to my knowledge. You don't have to have time travel to have multiple simultaneously existing universes.

But they won't do that because they have a hard enough time managing one canon at a time. If they paid me a lot of money to do it I would consider, but they won't offer it to Joe Blow Star Wars Fan so we are left with the limits of "professionals" to do a poor job managing continuity. So it is left to each fan to define their Star Wars Multiverse.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another canon reset would really irritate me. It's not like I am in love with the sequel trilogy, but I feel like a cheap story device to do a canon reset would not really serve a greater purpose. If you want to write another story about what happened 30 years after RotJ, why not do another story series under the "Infinities" label. That was cool back in the early 2000's.

Also, it's not like this one family has to be the center of all Star Wars storytelling. Rogue One was great. The Mandalorian was amazing. Just tell good stories with the room you have. There's plenty of room all over the Star Wars timeline.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive I can see out of it is that it would effectively canonize what we've all been doing with the EU for years; picking and choosing what we each individually want to be part of our own SWU.

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Also, it's not like this one family has to be the center of all Star Wars storytelling. Rogue One was great. The Mandalorian was amazing. Just tell good stories with the room you have. There's plenty of room all over the Star Wars timeline.

Well stated!

I always greatly disliked the concept of "canon" and all of the other monikers.

Star Wars happened "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". If you don't like something that was included, consider it like a legend or folklore and then you don't have to use it in your games. EXPAND your Star Wars universe! Show things that happened along side the main events (that you decide to keep using in your game).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In this franchise there is an overemphasis on the 'one true canon' concept which is embraced by most fans... So it is left to each fan to define their Star Wars Multiverse.

Hear, hear, Grimace! I don't need Lucasfilm deciding what is "canon" for me. I've always looked at publishing as à la carte since the 70s-80s comic books had some really silly stuff. The transition from EU to Disney canon brought no change in my view. Disney canon brought TCW through with the films so it was a mixed bag from day one. This year was fandom-defining for me as it was the first time there were films that were decidedly not in my personal SWU, but my overall view of "canon" remains unchanged, still.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do it, Disney. Then we can have another sequel trilogy that's actually good while Mark Hamill is still alive. Hurry up!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow-up video with more details.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asks you to regard the video as unverified rumor. Which given the tenor of his diction, I was already prepared to do.

When one has media that is already subtly laden with emotivist undertones to convey information such as...

Quote:
"secret plan to save Star Wars"

"factions within Lucasfilm are already moving"

"Star Wars franchise is all but dead"

"Kathleen Kennedy's hatred of this idea"

"the nefarious schemes of Kathleen Kennedy"

...it makes it sound like there is a clandestine movement on a mission. It also assumes in its formulation that Star Wars "needs saving." Saving from whom, or what? Why is Star Wars "all but dead?"

I'm not really going to get into it as to whether Star Wars is or isn't dead, or needs a group to re-take the helm of Star Wars. But that he's certainly playing to a certain emotional tenor when he's conveying his information. I'd posit that the information is subordinate to that tenor.

If this had been a straightforward presentation without the subtle editorializing, I might take it with more than a grain of salt.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire, thank you for more succinctly stating my feelings about this and identifying some of the language used. It seems to be wishful thinking for the minority of haters, and uses very similar undertones as the articles of poor journalistic quality shared about conflicts at Lucasfilm and Kennedy being on the verge of being fired, when in reality her term was up and Disney opted to extend her contract when they could have let her go. Kennedy was desperate to replace Colin Trevorrow and enticed Abrams to take over Episode IV. It paid off. The conflicts they try to paint at managing the franchise seem to really be a reflection of the conflicts in fandom, and fans are the end audience of the article. Star Wars is just a product for Disney. Star Wars is more than that only to fans, but enough fans are buying what they're selling.

Star Wars is far from dead. The mere fact that the fifth movie in four years grossed over a billion dollars is proof that the franchise is doing well, despite what a lot of us fans feel about the quality. Disney took the franchise to new heights far beyond what Lucas ever even dreamed for it. They were considering ramping it up to two films a year, but have realized that would be pushing it too far so wisely backed off from that and added a three-year hiatus. The rest of the franchise is plugging away with no shortage of books, games, toys, TV shows, etc.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Let's do it, Disney. Then we can have another sequel trilogy that's actually good while Mark Hamill is still alive. Hurry up!

Don't hold your breath for that. Sorry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: