The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cargo Capacity rated in Dice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cargo Capacity rated in Dice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Cargo Capacity rated in Dice? Reply with quote

In the past, I've proposed converting a ship's Consumables rating to Endurance Dice. While some good arguments have been raised that such a system isn't really a good fit for 2E, I'm leaning strongly toward it for my 1R&E project. It also got me thinking of doing the same thing to a ship or vehicle's Cargo Capacity rating.

This stems from a consideration of the Static Defense rule (specifically, the conversion rate, where Defense converts to 3 per D, plus any pips). What I'm thinking is a two tiered system, where a ship's given Cargo Capacity in metric tons is converted to a Cargo Stat that's treated like a Lifting skill. Any cargo with a Weight Difficulty less than or equal to the Static Lifting value (3 per D, plus any pips) can automatically be carried without difficulty. Anything above that value requires the ship to roll its Cargo Stat to see if it can carry the heavier load, with failure (or success below a certain level) incurring performance penalties to Speed and Maneuverability.

I'm just spitballing this at the moment, so let me know what you think.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you make up how installing new gear eats up the Static Lifting Value?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
How would you make up how installing new gear eats up the Static Lifting Value?

I haven't crunched a conversion table yet, but the end result would be to have after-market equipment subtract D and/or pips from the ship's Cargo dice, which reduces the Static Value by extension.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: