The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Quests?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Lightsaber Quests? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly precedent in the EU for crystals to serve as foci for the Force, going all the way back to the original Kaiburr Crystal in SotME. I've toyed with the possibility of using crystals to create D&D-ish magical items in the SWU by incorporating crystals as a central component that serve as a link to the Force. There's also room for non-Jedi Force User traditions to have a focus item (ring, wand, staff, etc) that incorporates a crystal, and can do things a mundane item could not. Examples might include things like adding a +1D to the character's Force skills while the item is in their possession, or having a staff be unusually resistant to damage (up to the point of being able to block a lightsaber). Force amulets and swords were already a thing in the TotJ era, so there had to be some sort of process by which these items were created...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my campaign, the group had to extract various "Jedi" prisoners from Kessel.

Turns out they were the Jedi Temple's droids, who had far too valuable data in their memory banks and were kept to make sure nothing was missed.

One of these droids was Professor Huyang.

"...the lightsaber is a Jedi's only true ally. But how do they work? Hmm? Yes, you have brought me crystals, but they're all useless unless you give them life. Do you know how to awaken the Force within the crystal? No? Then I suggest you listen and learn, until you think of a question this droid cannot answer."
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
In my campaign, the group had to extract various "Jedi" prisoners from Kessel.

Turns out they were the Jedi Temple's droids, who had far too valuable data in their memory banks and were kept to make sure nothing was missed.

One of these droids was Professor Huyang.

"...the lightsaber is a Jedi's only true ally. But how do they work? Hmm? Yes, you have brought me crystals, but they're all useless unless you give them life. Do you know how to awaken the Force within the crystal? No? Then I suggest you listen and learn, until you think of a question this droid cannot answer."

Very cool! I like the workaround, and working in a likable character from the Clone Wars.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Sure, but the fun thing about this adventure is they are on Death Star I wreckage, and the PCs actually go into Vader's personal quarters on the Death Star. Vader had put Obi-Wan's lightsaber in his closet. If you are going to actual DS wreckage floating in space, it would be kind of anti-climatic to only come away with construction instructions. And the only Jedi/Sith on the DS were Vader and Kenobi, and I'm sure they didn't need instruction manual to build lightsabers, so that would seem to be odd data to find on the DS anyway. Obi-Wan's actual lightsaber was on DS when it blew.

That's somethin that always bothered me.. In the films, we see the massive explosion and NOTHING survived..

So how did they 'come across wreckage, whole enough to walk around in?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's somethin that always bothered me.. In the films, we see the massive explosion and NOTHING survived..

So how did they 'come across wreckage, whole enough to walk around in?

It's as big as a small moon. We only saw it explode from one angle. Some relatively small, unexploded portions of the Death Star could have been blasted away behind the explosion from our view.

And by the way, if you don't like the idea of characters exploring Death Star wreckage, then definitely don't watch Episode IX!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think finding Kenobi's lightsaber is about the coolest thing a Jedi character could have happen to them so think Scavenger Hunt is a definite down the line. I've warned him that finding one will not be easy, so hopefully this will be a huge payoff for his patience!

CRMcNeill wrote:
There's certainly precedent in the EU for crystals to serve as foci for the Force, going all the way back to the original Kaiburr Crystal in SotME. I've toyed with the possibility of using crystals to create D&D-ish magical items in the SWU by incorporating crystals as a central component that serve as a link to the Force. There's also room for non-Jedi Force User traditions to have a focus item (ring, wand, staff, etc) that incorporates a crystal, and can do things a mundane item could not. Examples might include things like adding a +1D to the character's Force skills while the item is in their possession, or having a staff be unusually resistant to damage (up to the point of being able to block a lightsaber). Force amulets and swords were already a thing in the TotJ era, so there had to be some sort of process by which these items were created...

You've inadvertently helped me on another front CR! The same player was asking if, over time, he would be able to increase his force skills and I explained he'd need a tutor or to find texts, but that I'm not sure if the published adventures have much in the way for catering to that kind of development. Santhou is on their home base, but they don't know he's a force-user, he just seems to be an adviser. A trinket which boosts his Force Skill would be a short-term fix - and avoid conferring new Force Powers. After the two Jedi characters in the last campaign became ridiculously powerful, I'm keen to avoid too much power creep. (In fairness, we'd played somewhere in the region of 30+ sessions before they became powerful, but thereafter, it really took a lot of the fun out of the game.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And by the way, if you don't like the idea of characters exploring Death Star wreckage, then definitely don't watch Episode IX!

I haven't...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm somewhat in agreement with garhkal as to the odds of the survival of portions of the first Death Star, the flipside is that it is plausible that the Emperor ordered that the VIP quarters areas be exceedingly well armored and protected from both external bombardment and internal damage, potentially enough to be survive mostly intact in the debris field created by the explosion. And would Vader really have bothered to detour back to his quarters on the way to his fighter just to get a lightsaber on the off chance the Death Star was destroyed?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
While I'm somewhat in agreement with garhkal as to the odds of the survival of portions of the first Death Star, the flipside is that it is plausible that the Emperor ordered that the VIP quarters areas be exceedingly well armored and protected from both external bombardment and internal damage, potentially enough to be survive mostly intact in the debris field created by the explosion. And would Vader really have bothered to detour back to his quarters on the way to his fighter just to get a lightsaber on the off chance the Death Star was destroyed?

I could see the emperor's quarters, so protected, but that would make IMO a small chunk, that wouldn't have any internal life support or gravity...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see the emperor's quarters, so protected, but that would make IMO a small chunk, that wouldn't have any internal life support or gravity...

The difference between the two is just a matter of degrees. It's not implausible that the Emperor would insist that his quarters be a massively overbuilt bunker complete with independent power supply and life support, able to function independently even in the event of catastrophic damage to the Death Star itself. Overconfidence was, after all, Palpatine's weakness, but I'm convinced his own paranoia and foresight fed into that overconfidence.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat. HE was very over-confident.. Though since Vader was the one on DS1, not the emperor, perhaps HE was allowed to use the emperor's quarters!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True dat. HE was very over-confident.. Though since Vader was the one on DS1, not the emperor, perhaps HE was allowed to use the emperor's quarters!

Or that the Emperor's "quarters" were more like a mansion inside a bunker, complete with guest suites for high-ranking subordinates, particularly Vader. There was more than enough volume inside the Death Star to accommodate something like that.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Or that the Emperor's "quarters" were more like a mansion inside a bunker, complete with guest suites for high-ranking subordinates, particularly Vader. There was more than enough volume inside the Death Star to accommodate something like that.
It was the size of a small moon. There was enough room to put a planet-sized bureaucracy in there and still have space left for a Starbucks!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Starbucks?

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A Starbucks?
Well, I mean, there's only two of them, and they're from a different franchise, do I doubt the Death Star would be able to get one at a time.

Luckily, there's two Death Stars! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: