The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Minisix RPG Static Defenses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Minisix RPG Static Defenses Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyfigh
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a slightly modified version. It accepts a MAP approach by simply removing 3 from the static pool, simulating losing a dice, for each MAP incurred. It really does streamline combat. My players don't mind it at all because it creates more feeling of fast-paced combat, which is more exciting to them.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Minisix RPG Static Defenses Reply with quote

Liquidsabre wrote:
Anyone try using these for running SWD6?

Yep, started using this years ago and never wanted to go back to the original rules. Since that day we had more gaming, less rolling and no one even wanted to go back to the original rules.

I also like the rule that Damage Resistance is equal to the # of dice on Strength.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Bump>

A thought on Dodge...

It always seemed off to me that, because of how WEG structured the normal Dodge (with a shooter having to beat both the Range Difficulty and the Character's Dodge roll), a character could miff their Dodge roll and still be missed if the shooter didn't beat the Base D for the Range. I always thought a more appropriate approach would be to add the character's Dodge to the Range Difficulty, but that was already how the Full Dodge worked, and I couldn't really see anywhere to go beyond that.

However, with the introduction of Static Defense, it potentially opens up some new possibilities. Here's what I'm thinking:
    -Rather than using a 1D=3 ratio when converting to static defense, use 1D=2, but then on a normal Defense action, the character's Static Defense value is added to the base Range Difficulty.

-Then, on a Full Defense, the character adds +10 on top of the combined Difficulty and Static Defense.
This could conceivably also work against Melee Weapons, where the Static Defense value is added to the Base Difficulty of the weapon.

As a GM, I'd rather not get caught flat-footed trying to explain how a character rolled straight 2's on their Dodge roll, but somehow still didn't get shot just because the attacker didn't roll high enough to beat the Difficulty at Long Range, and this nicely solves that problem. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do static defenses work with the multi-action penalty? My re-reading of MiniSix makes me think that your static Dodge value would remain the same regardless of how many actions you've taken, is that right?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odea Ionstrike wrote:
How do static defenses work with the multi-action penalty? My re-reading of MiniSix makes me think that your static Dodge value would remain the same regardless of how many actions you've taken, is that right?
Correct, but even under the RAW where the character rolls their Reaction skill dice, a single normal reaction was good against all attacks of that type for that round; a character doesn't have to roll Dodge five times against five different Blaster rolls, just the one Dodge result that's counted against all five Blaster rolls. However, there's something to be said for some form of penalty being applied when a character uses multiple Reaction skills in the same round...

EDIT: Maybe a -5 penalty to all Static Defense values if using more than one per round.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no comment on static defenses specifically, but a couple things about your premises.

CRMcNeill wrote:
A thought on Dodge...

I always thought a more appropriate approach would be to add the character's Dodge to the Range Difficulty, but that was already how the Full Dodge worked, and I couldn't really see anywhere to go beyond that.

That's how it worked in the 1e Core. Every regular dodge was added to the range difficulty.

And to get into your MAP discussion, in 1e Core a dodge only applied to every shot in that action segment ("1st action, 2nd action, etc.). Each new action segment you were shot at required a separate dodge roll and and each dodge roll brought another MAP. Nickel and dime.

Full dodge was not added to the game until the Rules Upgrade, where the combat round and dodge rules started changing. They were changed for a reason...

CRMcNeill wrote:
It always seemed off to me that, because of how WEG structured the normal Dodge (with a shooter having to beat both the Range Difficulty and the Character's Dodge roll), a character could miff their Dodge roll and still be missed if the shooter didn't beat the Base D for the Range.
As a GM, I'd rather not get caught flat-footed trying to explain how a character rolled straight 2's on their Dodge roll, but somehow still didn't get shot just because the attacker didn't roll high enough to beat the Difficulty at Long Range, and this nicely solves that problem. Thoughts?

This is not how normal dodges in R&E RAW work. A shooter does not have to beat both the range and the target's dodge roll. The reaction roll replaces the range difficulty number, which is why a character being shot has the choice of dodging or letting the range difficulty apply. A bad dodge roll could mean a dodging character zig-zags into a shot that would have otherwise missed for the range difficulty. See R&E p.79 and p.90.

And of course for MAPs, you are aware that in R&E one reaction roll applies to all attacks of that type the rest of the round from that point. In RAW, that reaction roll is effected by your MAP, unless you are shot at before your first action of the round and choose to dodge.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The reaction roll replaces the range difficulty number, which is why a character being shot has the choice of dodging or letting the range difficulty apply.

Okay, that's what I was misremembering. To me, the glaring issue there is that a character Dodging at Long Range should be harder to hit than a character Dodging at Short Range. However, I do think a house rule to that effect would be a much better fit to a Static Defense system than a more traditional opposed roll system.

Quote:
And of course for MAPs, you are aware that in R&E one reaction roll applies to all attacks of that type the rest of the round from that point. In RAW, that reaction roll is affected by your MAP, unless you are shot at before your first action of the round and choose to dodge.

Yes. Which is, frankly, another vote in the favor of a Static Defense rule...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: