The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace & Astrogation Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hyperspace & Astrogation Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The System Patrol Ship, for example, would find a lot of utility in being able to use a x12 or x15 hyperdrive to rapidly move from point to point in a system, chasing intruders and other incidents, and the in-system travel times posited by WEG make a lot more sense if there's some sort of "low-end" FTL drive involved.

That would make sense.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this here.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Zarn wrote:
So in that sense, if you have access to heaps of low-powered hyperdrives, you might actually have outsystem carriers that drop off starfighters which then jump en-masse insystem...

That's a very intriguing idea. Having starfighters equipped with hyperdrives in the x10 range or greater would make them heavily dependent on transport by carriers, yet still have the stand-off strike capability that carrier aircraft made so useful. Obviously, the rules for the classic era are pretty well set, but something like this could be used pre-Clone Wars.

Plus, if the carrier is deployed somewhere within a few lightyears, it would still be able to exercise some real-time control over the strike group (possibly with a Comm-Scan Control & Relay Platform, ala the SWU equivalent of an E-2 Hawkeye).

It's on topic, so I figured I'd port it over. At the moment, I'm picturing fighters grouped into short-range (TIE like, no FTL capability at all), mid-range (slow hyperdrive, mostly for intra-system work) and long-range (starfighters equipped with true interstellar hyperdrives).

In fact, something like this makes a lot more sense for the fighters we see in the prequels: make things like the Actis and the Aethersprite mid-range fighters with x10/x12 hyperdrives. Use the booster rings to jump somewhere in the outer reaches of a system (where it can't be easily tracked down and stolen/destroyed), then use their own intrasystem hyperdrive to jump in close to the planet.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thread!

I've had a few issues with Hyperdrive in the last few weeks, primarily to do with the adventure outline for Assault on Repair Station M13 from the Classic Campaigns supplement. In the outline, it says that there are TIEs in the Repair Station which fly off to deal with another Rebel attack in a neighbouring system.

This was problematic to me, partly because I know from game mechanics that TIEs don't have hyperdrive, but even more because Obi-Wan specifically talks about it in Episode IV (on the approach to the Death Star). So, instead, I decided that the TIEs would be scrambled to an orbiting space station that the Rebel NPCs would now attack. Problem fixed.

...except my PCs thought it would be a wonderful idea to attack the Repair Station before the Rebels attacked the orbiting space station. Now the PCs have to deal with the TIEs scrambling from the Repair Station on the ground AND those from the orbiting Space Platform. They are hopelessly outnumbered. Half of the team are on a YT-1300 providing an air assault, and the other half are running amok inside the installation. This is where it was left last week.

The team on the YT-1300 have been messaging me today asking if they can override the safety protocols on the hyperdrive so they can make the jump to hyperspace while in the planet's atmosphere - before the TIE reinforcements arrive. I know that this has precedent in Rogue One (the one moment that irked me in that film).

So, I've ruled that if they disable the hyperdrive protocols (Easy Languages to communicate with the ship's computer & Moderate Computer Programming roll to do so), then they can attempt a Astrogation Roll to try an inside atmosphere hyperdrive jump - but that the difficulty will be Heroic and so will likely require a Force Point to successfully achieve.

I'm hoping it's a compromise that will deter future reliance on this device to escape ship to ship combat.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just the thing you're looking for.

The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I have just the thing you're looking for.

Very cool. cheers!

They are still fighting on the base and we are headed for week 4 of this mission! It's utter carnage and it's still unclear if they intend to fight on or will try a hyperspace jump while in atmosphere so I'll keep this to hand!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this has been on the back burner for a while, but I've been putting some thought into it re: the High-End / Low-End Navcomputer topic. As part of my stat upgrade, I've added the option of Shield Control Dice (as in, Fire Control, but for Shields). This in turn got me thinking of other ship systems that might benefit from "Control" dice, and then I remembered that I had already suggested it in the above link.

However, I've run into a small snag in the sense that adding Astrogation Control Dice to a stat also necessitates putting work in on the Hyperdrive project. Now, I had elsewhere suggested basing Astrogation Difficulty on how well traveled a route is, but the more I think about it, the more I think that the length of the jump itself also needs to be taken into account. As in, all other things being equal, a route that is 12 hours long should be more difficult to calculate than a route that is 4 hours long.

So, what I'm thinking is having the Base Astrogation Difficulty for a hyperspace jump be equal to the jump's hours in length, modified by the following multipliers for how well-traveled the route is:
    Heavily-Traveled Route = x1/2
    Commonly-Traveled Route = x1
    Rarely-Traveled Route = x2
    Uncommon Route = x3
    "You want to go where?" = x5
Ships will then be assigned Astrogation Control dice (stacks with the crew's Astrogation skill on the Crew Skills section).

I'm also strongly considering throwing out the Maximum Jumps on the Limited Navcomputers and simply giving them penalties, like -1D for the X-Wing's 10-jump Limit, and -2D or 3D for the 2-jump limit on fighters like the A-Wing and B-Wing. On the other end of the spectrum, large ships like Star Destroyers and the like would be rated in the 3D or 4D range, representing their much greater computing and data storage capacity.

Nothing concrete at the moment, but I've been chewing on this for a while and wanted to get it written down.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What problems with RAW do these house rules address?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What problems with RAW do these house rules address?

Per the RAW, the Astrogation Difficulty can vary from Very Easy to Heroic (literally, anything), with most being at Moderate. That's an incredibly vague statement, with no criteria established as to why a jump may be more or less difficult than Moderate.

Now, as I've been chewing over this, the two main criteria I have discerned about how difficult a route is to calculate are 1) jump duration (longer jump = more legs, more course changes, etc), and 2) how accurate the navigation data for the route is (which is a direct result of how many ships travel the route, and then contribute their flight recorder data to the BoSS nav-data pipeline).

Thus, the house rule provides a framework for the GM to generate an appropriate Difficulty for a given route, based on the two above criteria. A longer course is more difficult to calculate than a shorter one, but this is either worsened or offset by how much information is available about the route itself. Once that baseline has been established, the GM can go with it, or apply modifiers as they see fit.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally, this is just a first draft, and the equation can be modified if testing or gameplay determines that the resulting Difficulty numbers are too high or too low.

EDIT: A less math-intensive approach would be to have jumps be one Difficulty level for every day of duration.
    Duration in Days = Difficulty
    1 or less = Very Easy
    1-2 = Easy
    3 = Moderate
    etc

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought re what I posted here:

One of my biggest complaints about starfighters using hyperdrive rings is that, once the fighter has disconnected from the ring, the ring itself is vulnerable to attack, and the fighter is effectively tied to a single egress point that they have to return to (the ring's coordinates) in order to escape the system.

But what if the fighters in questioned are equipped with a smaller, slower hyperdrive in the x10 or x12 range, and use the hyperdrive booster ring to augment the much slower integrated hyperdrive? A fighter could easily drop out of hyperspace somewhere well outside sensor range of his destination, then use the slower integrated drive to enter the system itself. That way, he'll still have tactical freedom and mobility within the target system, and his hyperdrive booster ring will be a needle in a haystack for anyone other than the fighter pilot himself (since he's the one who parked it in the first place).

I'm thinking it also makes more sense as an interim technological step to have starfighter hyperdrives go "no hyperdrive" -> "slow internal hyperdrive supplemented by booster ring" -> "full capability internal hyperdrive" than it does for them to make the major technological leap that skips the middle step.

Anyway, that's my thought for the night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: