The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combat Slicing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combat Slicing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Combat Slicing Reply with quote

Hints have been dropped in various sources to the effect that it's possible to slice another ship's systems. Examples include the Hyperspace Marauder from Dark Empire, where Lo Khan's sidekick Luwingo can use the ship's multi-band broadcast antenna to slice the systems of nearby ships. There is also an Upgrade Card in Armada where a ship with the Fleet Support card Slicer Tools can alter the actions of an enemy ship.

I also just ran across an unofficial write-up for one of Fractalsponge's ships where a particularly advanced recon / electronic warfare platform could potentially slice the comm systems of enemy ships and listen in on their conversations. And then there are other, non-SWU examples, like the Cylons of the re-make of Battlestar Galactica, who were particularly adept at hacking the systems of human ships.

How would you handle rules for this in-game? Obviously, it has to be pretty limited; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the overemphasis on the human factor in SWU ships was a result of decentralization to keep a single slicer from completely taking over a single ship, and the larger vessels are likely going to be much more difficult to slice.

Maybe require a slicer to roll their Computer Programming skill like a weapon attack against the Hull + Scale Modifier Difference of the target ship (larger, more powerful ships will have better defended comm and computer systems)?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying ship to ship slicing can be done with the right equipment? If so would that device play a part in the final die code rolled? Like scanners? Or would something like Luwingo’s antenna provide a bonus whereas any Slicer with a comm system could attempt it but without the bonus?

As for what to roll against, scale definitely makes sense to apply, but maybe instead of hull you could use your homebrew comscan rating as a representation of the resilience of the ship’s interior network.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Are you saying ship to ship slicing can be done with the right equipment? If so would that device play a part in the final die code rolled? Like scanners? Or would something like Luwingo’s antenna provide a bonus whereas any Slicer with a comm system could attempt it but without the bonus?

I definitely think it needs specialized equipment. A slicer could attempt it with standard comm systems and a datapad, but would be at a huge disadvantage to do so. So that means that the base difficulty needs to be set pretty high, with only people with the right equipment (like Luwingo's antennae) and really good Computer Programming skill levels to pull it off. Someone I talked to off-Pit suggested a base Diff of Heroic.

Quote:
As for what to roll against, scale definitely makes sense to apply, but maybe instead of hull you could use your homebrew comscan rating as a representation of the resilience of the ship’s interior network.

That's worth considering, but I went with Hull because the larger ships are going to have commensurately larger and more intricate internal networks. If I'm looking to make the Difficulties in the Heroic Range, it might be worth considering Hull + Scale difference + CommScan rating.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the scale modifier is a good idea... no one wants to park a TIE fighter under Home One and render it ineffective. I'd say a specific electronic warfare suite would be needed, definitely... something on the scale of a weapons system.

So, the attack skill here is Slicing, and the defense skill can be either Slicing or Communications:Firewall. On a successful attack, it does damage, but, rather than damaging the ship, it imposes a penalty to one particular system... fire control, manueverability, shields, etc.

I could see this getting a lot of use on Interdictors... pair a Slicer Module with some tractor beams and they're going nowhere.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Combat Slicing Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

How would you handle rules for this in-game? Obviously, it has to be pretty limited; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the overemphasis on the human factor in SWU ships was a result of decentralization to keep a single slicer from completely taking over a single ship, and the larger vessels are likely going to be much more difficult to slice.

Maybe require a slicer to roll their Computer Programming skill like a weapon attack against the Hull + Scale Modifier Difference of the target ship (larger, more powerful ships will have better defended comm and computer systems)?

IF, and a big if there, i allowed something like that, it would
A) require Specific, high @$$ priced gear
B) be limited range
and C) be a power hog.

For the roll, it would first be Comms vs the enemy ship's security rating (taken from THEIR shields and comms).
Once in, then it would be computer prog, vs computer prog, extended roll.. Once the 'attacker', achieves 20+ over the defender in that extended roll off (If freighter size), or 40+ if cap size, they've achieved slaving..
HOWEVER, 2 rounds after done, the enemy can start working on trying to kick you back out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A less ambitious (and more practical) application would be slicing the enemy's comm frequencies to send them false commands. This would be in keeping with how this is used in the Armada rules, as well.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communications would slice you in but would it be command or Con, to 'give them false info"?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get in Universe the ship would need to have a slave circuit to control it remotely. Like the Katana Fleet.

Ships in Star Wars are specifically designed to not be able to be controlled remotely, unless they have a slave circuit installed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sounding more and more like this would be more plausibly used to slice encrypted communications and issue false orders to enemy units, such as ordering a TIE squadron to come to a new bearing that leaves a temporary opening in the fleet's defensive screen for a squadron of Y- or B-Wings to exploit.

EDIT: In fact, the wouldn't even invalidate the examples I cited. If something like Fractalsponge's Indictor-Class really was capable of slicing the communications systems of enemy ships and listening to their onboard conversations, that would still technically be within the confines of what's described above, just at Heroic+ Difficulty levels.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could space troopers (and similar units even droids) attach to a ship hull, open a panel and hack a system or set up a slave circiut or something similar to gat a way into the systems?

is not fully hacking as you do physically attach, but it can be used for sabotage, attach said device on a ship in a ship yeard or a docking bay
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Could space troopers (and similar units even droids) attach to a ship hull, open a panel and hack a system or set up a slave circiut or something similar to gat a way into the systems?

is not fully hacking as you do physically attach, but it can be used for sabotage, attach said device on a ship in a ship yeard or a docking bay

That might be possible..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

That might be possible..

The focus of this is more wireless slicing than actually physically accessing the system directly. I don't think anyone questions whether the latter is possible; we've seen Artoo do it (or at least attempt to) in all three of the OT films.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: