The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ideas for heroic scoundrels, 2 ABY?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Ideas for heroic scoundrels, 2 ABY? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
The page doesn't really mention the plot. What specifically are you thinking of?

So, the series starts with your character doing some work for Happy Dap, because your sister (who is the brains of your operation) needing maintenance on her janky cybernetics. The initial plot might not work well during the time period you're thinking of... because there'd be less reason for a strong blockade of a sector... but you start with several disparate groups forced into cooperation. Like, the Rebels have to work with a local merchant league and the local smugglers group, and the local organized crime, because they're all being crushed by the Empire. Getting through the blockade requires the contacts and resources of several factions... the Rebels have the comm systems, the smugglers have the ships, the organized crime has the outside contacts, while the merchants have the cargo that the system needs.

That lets your character start at the criminal/scoundrel end, but be working with the Rebels out of necessity. Their motives don't have to be good, but they wind up making contacts with the Rebels anyway. Do they work with them? Do they get an instant when they can choose to betray them for gain from one of the other factions?
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the templates, and I think setting up a recommended list could be a good way to give players an impression of what they can expect from the campaign, like what character archetypes would well connect with the elements of the adventure and what skills will get plenty of opportunity to loose.

I thought about making my own, based on the premade ones. But in most cases the attributes and recommended skills already look right as they are, so it's basically just renaming them to put them in context for the campaign.

Cargo Pilot (Brash Pilot, no starfighter skills)
Disowned Noble (Arrogant Noble)
Frontier Mechanic (Engineer)
Gambler
Imperial Deserter (Retired Captain)
Mercenary
Scout
Senatorial Aide (Young Senatorial)
Senatorial Guard (Loyal Retainer)
Smuggler

The Disowned Noble is from the core worlds but had to leave for some reason or another ti make a new life in the Outer Rim.
The Imperial Deserter was a junior officer in the Imperial Navy but ran away and went into hiding after the Empire started occupying unruly planets and replaced the government with Imperial officers.
The Senatorial Aide used to work for an Imperial senator (or planetary ruler) who disappeared after the senate was dissolved, and so went into hiding before being arrested for aiding a traitor (real or imagined).
The Senatorial Guard used to be a personal guard of an Imperial senator and left Coruscant after possibly fighting stormtroopers trying to arrest politicians.

With three to five players, 10 templates should be plenty enough. And if a player wants to make something else, they still should help narrowing down what characters would fit well into the campaign.
I think it also neatly lays the ground for getting characters that start out at least leaning towards good with potential to become greatly good.

Also to help undecided players to pick, I got this list of 10 recommended species: Duros, Human, Mon Calamari, Quarren, Rodian, Sullustan, Trandoshan, Twi'lek, Wookiee, Weequay.
All very old classic evoking the classic Star Wars feel.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great basis for a PC group.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. I've been taking this idea back out of the drawer to return working on it, and I didn't realize it's already been three years since I started with it.

In the meantime I had another idea for a campaign start, which eventually didn't go anywhere, but I think could actually work really well with this campaign concept.

The campaign starts with an adventure on Brentaal, a short hyperspace jump from Coruscant, in the Core Worlds. After the Emperor dissolved the senate, senators and their staffers from worlds opposed to the New Order have been arrested for corruption and treason or are suddenly disappearing. One senator arranged a flight to Brentaal for some staff from his office and the office next door, where they are going to meet a pilot who will take them to a secret location to hide until the ISB forgets about them as inconsequential.

Some of the PCs will be from the senatorial staff and some are the ship's crew. Or it could be all from one and the other are all NPCs. Both should still work with the general direction of the campaign.

The ship takes them to New Cov at the edge of the Mid Rim on the other side of the galaxy. Because of imperial entanglements while leaving Brentaal, the captain now has to lay low as well. He's also having a debt to a Black Sun boss on Rodia, which he now can pay with the money he got from the senator for the passage. (Introducing the party to Black Sun contacts.) The boss will accept a service to pay off the remaining debt as well, getting the party tied up in the spice smuggling thing.

Later on, the party can run into other people from the senate who have joined the Rebellion and can get them an introduction with Rebel leaders in the area.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
I've been looking at the templates, and I think setting up a recommended list could be a good way to give players an impression of what they can expect from the campaign, like what character archetypes would well connect with the elements of the adventure and what skills will get plenty of opportunity to loose.

I thought about making my own, based on the premade ones. But in most cases the attributes and recommended skills already look right as they are, so it's basically just renaming them to put them in context for the campaign.

Cargo Pilot (Brash Pilot, no starfighter skills)
Disowned Noble (Arrogant Noble)
Frontier Mechanic (Engineer)
Gambler
Imperial Deserter (Retired Captain)
Mercenary
Scout
Senatorial Aide (Young Senatorial)
Senatorial Guard (Loyal Retainer)
Smuggler

The Disowned Noble is from the core worlds but had to leave for some reason or another ti make a new life in the Outer Rim.
The Imperial Deserter was a junior officer in the Imperial Navy but ran away and went into hiding after the Empire started occupying unruly planets and replaced the government with Imperial officers.
The Senatorial Aide used to work for an Imperial senator (or planetary ruler) who disappeared after the senate was dissolved, and so went into hiding before being arrested for aiding a traitor (real or imagined).
The Senatorial Guard used to be a personal guard of an Imperial senator and left Coruscant after possibly fighting stormtroopers trying to arrest politicians.

With three to five players, 10 templates should be plenty enough. And if a player wants to make something else, they still should help narrowing down what characters would fit well into the campaign.
I think it also neatly lays the ground for getting characters that start out at least leaning towards good with potential to become greatly good.

Also to help undecided players to pick, I got this list of 10 recommended species: Duros, Human, Mon Calamari, Quarren, Rodian, Sullustan, Trandoshan, Twi'lek, Wookiee, Weequay.
All very old classic evoking the classic Star Wars feel.

ANother few to look at may be Ship's gunnery (iirc from the platts series), Sluidar crate buster (tramp freighters), and Twilik co-pilot (complete template guide)..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
ANother few to look at may be Ship's gunnery (iirc from the platts series), Sluidar crate buster (tramp freighters), and Twilik co-pilot (complete template guide)..

You mean the templates below, and they are all three from WEG Platt's Smugglers Guide. (They are all three in the fan template compilations too.)

Ship's Gunner
Sludir Crate-Buster
Twi'lek Co-Pilot

The only template in GG6 Tramp Freighters is the Tramp Freighter Captain.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked them up in the complete templates collection. I forgot which book they came from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: