The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill loss due to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Skill loss due to time. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
And that's what i am asking about. How long would it take For a skill to atrophy any? A year? 3 years? 5 years of inactivity? Longer?

I hadn't been swimming in nearly a decade (or longer) and was stupidly confident in my abilities. A ball drifted over the roped-off section at a lake, and I attempted to retrieve it. I nearly drowned. Age, asthma, lack of exercise, and weight gain were the main contributing factors.

So, I'd safely say 10 years, or 5-10 years, would be a good starting point.

Sounds like my brother, last time we went to the pool.. He's not been swimming in 6 yrs by that time, and he had issues! BUTi do wonder, was it more from his big size, OR from the skill 'atrophying'??

Mamatried wrote:

I think this depends on the skill.

to run from a to b...I can't suffering much loss over time, other than age can be a factor, asfter all we don't see 87yr old sprinters, even if they are expert runners.

piloting and other technical skills...........some of them I would say mere months.

let look to the world of IT, while I have IT education from back when, I never actually worked in the fied and could not keep update, within a year common software required me to basicall "re educate"

Lets look at shooting, a skill you need to maintian.....I left the army in 94-95, I have not fired a round from any weapon before 2015 that was 20 years, and sorry I really didn't display much skill left....it was mostly gone.

so I would say it depends on the skills used to determine how long.

Well said M. I've never been trained to drive in the UK< BUt i was in the US.. Had no issues going back and forth.
My IT work (mostly hardware as i am an ET, not an IT), had 3 straight years working. Then i took 4 yrs off as the base i transferred to had me mostly working radios. Then i got TAD'ed to our IT shop.. Had to re-learn quite a bit.
For shooting, though, i had not shot since i retired in 2012.. Went to the range in 2018, and though was all over the place the first time, the 2nd and 3rd time, i had good tight groupings, but was still all over ON those groupings.
Took me half a dozen more times going to the range to get back, to even being, close to how good i was, while i was active..

So rather than make a list for every skill, could we not simplyfy it a little and base it on which attribute?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or have a situational penalty.

Joe the tie pilot have not been in the cockpit in the last 3 years, he KNOWS how to fly, he will perform, but as you said with the shooting, his first two or three flights will be to "draw on" or to activate much of the old knowledge.

And thus the pilot with 6D that is on active service will for a while have a higher success rate in tasks than the pilot with 6D that have not been in the cockpit in a year.

A soldier on active duty even if he only have 1 year, he will on the fist two three aybe even more times, have tighter groupings, he will until you have reconditioned your self be an edge over you in the taks until you get upto par.

after all drawing on a previously learned skill and thus gt to par, is far less time consuming than training the skill upto par, but you will still with "old" training be under par compared with someone in active training, even if there was a skill dice that was equal.

So I am thinking that if you are a pilot and have not done a pilot related task (enough times) over lets say 5 missions will on the next check have a +1 penalty , this will be removed after the adventure, and he will then be at par.

so basically a +1-+xD penalty to the skill rolls for a time, then reduce this or remove these as time goes and you have gotten back "into the job"
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sounds like my brother, last time we went to the pool.. He's not been swimming in 6 yrs by that time, and he had issues! BUTi do wonder, was it more from his big size, OR from the skill 'atrophying'??

Keeping with that examples, I had not been swimming for over 10 years when I went on vacation to Greece a while back. And at first I got very tired very quickly and managed to swallow every small wave that was coming at my face. But that was only for the first hour or so. After that I was swimming as well as I ever did.
And I never did much swimming even in my youth.

More recently I had been driving only my car for a year, and when it had to get some repairs, I thought I just drive back from the shop with my bike. I might been a bit too enthusiastic getting up a very low hill after 500 meters, but after 10 minutes I felt so completely exhausted that I had to stop and sit down for a few minutes or I would have keeled over right where I stand. After taking the bike to get groceries four times, exhaustion was no longer an issue.

Muscles going unused for some time absolutely destroys your performance completely. But it doesn't take long to get them working again. (At least while I'm still in my 30s.)
And from what I heard other people say, even language skills, that you think you have completely forgotten decades ago, comes back very quickly once you start practicing again.
You do get rusty, but it's something that is quickly dealt with when you start going back again. It's not really lost.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Keeping with that examples, I had not been swimming for over 10 years when I went on vacation to Greece a while back. And at first I got very tired very quickly and managed to swallow every small wave that was coming at my face. But that was only for the first hour or so. After that I was swimming as well as I ever did.
And I never did much swimming even in my youth.

More recently I had been driving only my car for a year, and when it had to get some repairs, I thought I just drive back from the shop with my bike. I might been a bit too enthusiastic getting up a very low hill after 500 meters, but after 10 minutes I felt so completely exhausted that I had to stop and sit down for a few minutes or I would have keeled over right where I stand. After taking the bike to get groceries four times, exhaustion was no longer an issue.

Muscles going unused for some time absolutely destroys your performance completely. But it doesn't take long to get them working again. (At least while I'm still in my 30s.)
And from what I heard other people say, even language skills, that you think you have completely forgotten decades ago, comes back very quickly once you start practicing again.
You do get rusty, but it's something that is quickly dealt with when you start going back again. It's not really lost.

hence why mabe a sitational penalty like a +2 penalty that goes away after the skill is used a little bit.

I f you rode the bike, and got tired but then did not continue, then thar should warrant impo a penalty, now this evetually goes away, but only if you continue using that skill.

So you had not swam in years, you jumpoed in a did not for a while perfome as you did befoe, it took skill use to come to par.

so what you think about a penatly that lasts a little, and that goes away wheit the use of the skill.

I have not fired my blaster in the last 9 sessions, I have flown the ship.
lets not thing scope of time here, as those 9 could be in universe only within a week, but leats say it was over three years.

I would expect my pin point percition to suffer since I have not kept it up, I would not at all expect to shoot 100% as precise as the other trooper that kept shooting his blaster through all the 9 sessions, he never increased his balster skill to be higher than mine, we both have 5D, however I would eaxpect to roll 5D -X vs his 5D to hit, then after I got the feeling bakc again and I shot some, by the end of the session or in next session I now roll the skill with no penalty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
..snip..

so basically a +1-+xD penalty to the skill rolls for a time, then reduce this or remove these as time goes and you have gotten back "into the job"

SO we're back at deciding how long of a 'down time' one would need, before they start getting a penalty. Would it increase?? IE, if say we said, if you haven't shot in 1 yr, you get a -2 or even -1d, would that increase to -4 or -2d if you were out of shooting for 2 years and so on...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
..snip..

SO we're back at deciding how long of a 'down time' one would need, before they start getting a penalty. Would it increase?? IE, if say we said, if you haven't shot in 1 yr, you get a -2 or even -1d, would that increase to -4 or -2d if you were out of shooting for 2 years and so on...

From my own experience with shooting.
I hadn't shot a rifle in over a decade after I was discharged from the army.
When I did shoot aggain, I knew how, but like described in an above thread, my his were all over the place, and it took me a bit of shooting to get to more or less where I was skill wise.

This why I maybe think that a temporary bonus the way to go.

once you have "times out" the penalty is gone and you progress in the skill if you will.

So you have gotten a -2 penalty when the session starts, and you decide to climb out of the cockpit and go blasting stuff.
you focus on going in with the assault team, since this will require you to
use the blaster.

The session ends, and you no longer have this penalty, the mission was both long enough and you shot enough to get back into the old army level of skill.
from now on you can increase this skill normally.

the only thing I am thinking about loss of skill due to time is the time frames in missions, it is hard to have missions really span more than a year or thwo, and that may not be enough for many skills to suffer any significant loss.

So it is that aspect too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: