The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scrapyard Raid adventure outline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Scrapyard Raid adventure outline
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Scrapyard Raid adventure outline Reply with quote

I got this idea for running my first game:

The planetary defense force of Malastare is retiring many of their older starfighters because the Imperial Navy presence makes them somewhat redundant. For the same reason they also can't find any other official agencies wanting to buy two squadrons of Y-Wings and so they were send to a scrapyard to remove all weapons and military electronics before getting torn up for spare parts.

The Rebels have learned of this and are sending two teams to steal as many of the Y-Wings as possible before they are getting scrapped, so it has to happen quickly and on very short notice.

The first team called the scrapyard to buy some large hull panels and said they would come with a freighter to pick them up. Then later they called again to let the scrapyard know they are having a delay and will be late to make the pickup, eventually showing up only 10 minutes before the place closes. And they deliberately picked panels that won't fit through the lower cargo ramp and the crane on the top cargo hatch is having a defect.

The second team of the players will break in on the other side of the scrapyard and then disable the security for the secured hangar where the Y-Wings are parked. They will do a quick diagnostics readout of the Y-Wings to select the ten that are in the best condition between two rounds of the security guards. When they are ready, they send a signal to the other team which will subdue whatever workers have to do overtime to watch the loading and lock up once the freighter is gone, and then move the freighter over to the hangar. Once they are loaded up, everyone gets on the ship that declares it will be heading to Eriadu, but they will actually drop out of hyperspace halfway at Darkknell to make a new jump to the rebel base.

But of course, plans like that never work.

• The security guards are not sticking to the routes and schedules that their informant provided.
  • There are still people in the office building where the alarm controls are.
  • An office worker heading home spots them and wants to tell them that it's already past business hours and they have to get out before the main gate gets locked up.
  • One of the Y-Wings as a leak that has spilled hazardous material over the hangar floor.
  • There's a womp rat sleeping in one of the Y-Wings.
  • When the players send the signal that they are ready to start the loading, the freighter keeps sitting where it landed on the other side of the scrapyard for another 10 minutes with no word from the crew.
  • While the third Y-Wing is being pulled into the freighter, the repulsorlift sled that pulls it breaks down. (Surely a scrapyard has to have their own ones. Somewhere.)
  • At some point an alarm reached the Imperial Army garrison that is sending a squad of soldiers, as the scrapyard is listed as handling restricted materia, and arrives before the loading is completed.
  • After takeoff, traffic control tells the freighter that all ships have to remain in low orbit until the Imperial Navy has completed the apprehension of a Rebel ship.
  • During the hasty takeoff the nav computer experienced a power surge and needs 10 minutes to have its fuses replaced.

When I went to preparing my notes for this adventure, I was pleasantly surprised that all I really need is stats for security guards, Imperial army troopers, and TIE fighters and a very rough sketch of the layout of the scrapyard. Anything else seems like it will come down to pure improv based on what the players want to do, and selecting difficulties for any rolls that will include. Not really sure what other work could be put into this.

Perhaps some of these ideas could be useful for other adventures.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great adventure plan! So it would seem that all the PCs start out as already having joined the Alliance as part of the background. How many PCs do you have? Will both teams be only PCs or will there be NPCs involved too? Are the PCs made yet? If so, what character types will you have?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Scrapyard Raid adventure outline Reply with quote

Yora wrote:

The planetary defense force of Malastare is retiring many of their older starfighters because the Imperial Navy presence makes them somewhat redundant. For the same reason they also can't find any other official agencies wanting to buy two squadrons of Y-Wings and so they were send to a scrapyard to remove all weapons and military electronics before getting torn up for spare parts.

SEeing as i watched a # of military vehicles, get "disarmed" before sending them on to either A) the scrap yard, or B) to be sold off, they'd BE disarmed before they would get sent anywhere.

That said..
Yora wrote:

The Rebels have learned of this and are sending two teams to steal as many of the Y-Wings as possible before they are getting scrapped, so it has to happen quickly and on very short notice.

Even un-gunned Y-wings, would still be a good haul if they can be stolen.

Yora wrote:
The first team called the scrapyard to buy some large hull panels and said they would come with a freighter to pick them up. Then later they called again to let the scrapyard know they are having a delay and will be late to make the pickup, eventually showing up only 10 minutes before the place closes. And they deliberately picked panels that won't fit through the lower cargo ramp and the crane on the top cargo hatch is having a defect.

On this part;
A) Are the PC's doing this or is that a ''scriped group of NPC's doing it"?
If the former, what rolls will you have them go through, to 'set up the going in'? What Con/ship repair rolls (to fake the damage/malfunctions, will you have them make?
B) If the NPC team is handling it, how will you script whether it works or not?

Yora wrote:
The second team of the players will break in on the other side of the scrapyard and then disable the security for the secured hangar where the Y-Wings are parked.

Are there any guards? Alarms on the fence line? Cameras they need to disable?

Yora wrote:
They will do a quick diagnostics readout of the Y-Wings to select the ten that are in the best condition between two rounds of the security guards. When they are ready, they send a signal to the other team which will subdue whatever workers have to do overtime to watch the loading and lock up once the freighter is gone, and then move the freighter over to the hangar. Once they are loaded up, everyone gets on the ship that declares it will be heading to Eriadu, but they will actually drop out of hyperspace halfway at Darkknell to make a new jump to the rebel base.

It's gonna need to a big freighter, to haul 10 Y-wings...

Yora wrote:

Of course they don't!! Wink

Yora wrote:
  • The security guards are not sticking to the routes and schedules that their informant provided.

It's a scrap yard, would it even HAVE security guards??

Yora wrote:

• Does that alarm raise a scene anywhere else? Like say at the main defense force building?

Yora wrote:
  • An office worker heading home spots them and wants to tell them that it's already past business hours and they have to get out before the main gate gets locked up.

• Would he even be an issue?

Yora wrote:
  • One of the Y-Wings as a leak that has spilled hazardous material over the hangar floor.

• Maybe flamable?!

Yora wrote:

• I'd hate to get that fighter!!

Yora wrote:
  • When the players send the signal that they are ready to start the loading, the freighter keeps sitting where it landed on the other side of the scrapyard for another 10 minutes with no word from the crew.

• Perhaps the signal got jammed!

Yora wrote:
  • While the third Y-Wing is being pulled into the freighter, the repulsorlift sled that pulls it breaks down. (Surely a scrapyard has to have their own ones. Somewhere.)

• Stuff in a scrap yard often doesn't work right..

Yora wrote:
  • At some point an alarm reached the Imperial Army garrison that is sending a squad of soldiers, as the scrapyard is listed as handling restricted materia, and arrives before the loading is completed.

• They may also send a flight of fighters overhead, as it would be swifter than troops..

Yora wrote:
  • After takeoff, traffic control tells the freighter that all ships have to remain in low orbit until the Imperial Navy has completed the apprehension of a Rebel ship.

• Perhaps they need to stand down for scanning?

Yora wrote:
  • During the hasty takeoff the nav computer experienced a power surge and needs 10 minutes to have its fuses replaced.

• 10 minutes?? If they get into combat, that's a HOLE Lot of combat rounds.

Yora wrote:
    When I went to preparing my notes for this adventure, I was pleasantly surprised that all I really need is stats for security guards, Imperial army troopers, and TIE fighters and a very rough sketch of the layout of the scrapyard. Anything else seems like it will come down to pure improv based on what the players want to do, and selecting difficulties for any rolls that will include. Not really sure what other work could be put into this.

How's about some security Diff #'s by the scrap yard's computer guy, that the pc's have to overcome.
    Or a noisy customs agent, on the inbound flight, that they have to pass (he's rather quizical that they are looking like they're just going to be in the yard 10 minutes before closing).
    Yora
    Lieutenant Commander
    Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Scrapyard Raid adventure outline Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
    Sounds like a great adventure plan! So it would seem that all the PCs start out as already having joined the Alliance as part of the background. How many PCs do you have? Will both teams be only PCs or will there be NPCs involved too? Are the PCs made yet? If so, what character types will you have?

I don't know. I am still planning this as a one-shot, maybe at the end of the month.

garhkal wrote:
    SEeing as i watched a # of military vehicles, get "disarmed" before sending them on to either A) the scrap yard, or B) to be sold off, they'd BE disarmed before they would get sent anywhere.

Quote:
    It's a scrap yard, would it even HAVE security guards??

And this scrapyard is an official government contractor that has a license for the dismantling of military equipment and the required security for the storing of such items.

That's of course not very secure, but this is a junk planet in the Outer Rim, not Kuat or Corellia.

Quote:
    Even un-gunned Y-wings, would still be a good haul if they can be stolen.
    But then you can't use them to shot your way through the TIE Fighter blockade. Cool

Quote:
    Yora wrote:

On this part;
    A) Are the PC's doing this or is that a ''scriped group of NPC's doing it"?
    If the former, what rolls will you have them go through, to 'set up the going in'? What Con/ship repair rolls (to fake the damage/malfunctions, will you have them make?
    B) If the NPC team is handling it, how will you script whether it works or not?

I was thinking that the B-Team of the freighter crew is busy with getting the ship ready for fast takeoff and securing the cargo and someone from the players' A-Team will have to control the repulsorlift sled to move the Y-Wings into the freighter.
    I guess they could try to repair it with a Medium difficulty in 10 minutes or go searching for a new one being parked nearby. If neither works, one of the NPCs could do it, costing even more time.
    At this point the players won't know if an alarm was raised and how fast someone would arrive to respond. So any delay would feel bad.

Quote:
    It's gonna need to a big freighter, to haul 10 Y-wings...

An Action VI should do. Y-Wings stack very well if you have the right equipment to secure them.

Quote:
    Yora wrote:
    An office worker heading home spots them and wants to tell them that it's already past business hours and they have to get out before the main gate gets locked up.

Would he even be an issue?

The players would have to react to it somehow. They are breaking into a place any nobody is supposed to know they are there. They could easily just shot some unarmed passerby who is trying to shoo them out, but I assume at least some of the players will assume they are playing the good guys.

Quote:
    Yora wrote:
    One of the Y-Wings as a leak that has spilled hazardous material over the hangar floor.

Maybe flamable?!

Great idea!

Quote:
    Yora wrote:
    At some point an alarm reached the Imperial Army garrison that is sending a squad of soldiers, as the scrapyard is listed as handling restricted materia, and arrives before the loading is completed.

They may also send a flight of fighters overhead, as it would be swifter than troops..

TIE fighters are not exactly ideal to check out buildings.

Quote:
    Yora wrote:
    During the hasty takeoff the nav computer experienced a power surge and needs 10 minutes to have its fuses replaced.

10 minutes?? If they get into combat, that's a HOLE Lot of combat rounds.

They would know about the damage before taking off. And once they are spotted, the TIEs still would have to get to them before attacking. That's why it's the nav computer and not the hyperdrive.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
    garhkal
    Sovereign Protector
    Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapyard Raid adventure outline Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
    And this scrapyard is an official government contractor that has a license for the dismantling of military equipment and the required security for the storing of such items.

Then if that's the case, it wouldn't let just "ANYONE" fly in to ;'buy scrap' from us. THEY Would have a long list of procedures to Vet them.

Yora wrote:
    That's of course not very secure, but this is a junk planet in the Outer Rim, not Kuat or Corellia.

That's kind of an oxymoron to me. IF its an offical govt contractor, how is it "NOT very secure"? IF anything it would probably have HIGHER security than a normal place would, to maintain its govt contract!

Yora wrote:
    But then you can't use them to shot your way through the TIE Fighter blockade. Cool

True.. BUT nothing says they have to have the means readily available to fight their way THROUGH said blockade..

Yora wrote:
    I was thinking that the B-Team of the freighter crew is busy with getting the ship ready for fast takeoff and securing the cargo and someone from the players' A-Team will have to control the repulsorlift sled to move the Y-Wings into the freighter.

Still doesn't answer the question, of are all those in the A squad PCS, while B is NPCs. OR is it all in B are pcs, while A are NPCs..
    ANd what rolls they are needing to make to try and pull this off..

Yora wrote:
    An Action VI should do. Y-Wings stack very well if you have the right equipment to secure them.

Which as a cap ship, needs a lot more crew than a normal PC group would have.
    Ninja-Bear
    Lieutenant Commander
    Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Yora! I was planning on running something similar this weekend. I was planning on something closer to the blurb in Wookieepedia about Patch-4. One reason I thought of to why there are guns still left on the Y-Wings is that the scrap yard does back door dealings with crime lords and the local Moff keeps a blind eye as long as he gets his cut.
    DougRed4
    Rear Admiral
    Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your adventure concept.

It makes me realize I too often have things way too easy for my PCs. I need to complicate my scenarios with way more stuff that could go sideways, as it feels very Star Wars to do so.

Love the womp rat in the Y-wing...
    Ninja-Bear
    Lieutenant Commander
    Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora have you looked into using a C-ROC Gozanti Cruiser? It’s specifically redesigned to be a freighter. It could carry spare parts for Y-wings and possibly carry 2 of them too.
    Inquisitor1138
    Captain
    Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapyard Raid adventure outline Reply with quote

Yora wrote:

The second team of the players will break in on the other side of the scrapyard and then disable the security for the secured hangar where the Y-Wings are parked. They will do a quick diagnostics readout of the Y-Wings to select the ten that are in the best condition between two rounds of the security guards. When they are ready, they send a signal to the other team which will subdue whatever workers have to do overtime to watch the loading and lock up once the freighter is gone, and then move the freighter over to the hangar. Once they are loaded up, everyone gets on the ship that declares it will be heading to Eriadu, but they will actually drop out of hyperspace halfway at Darkknell to make a new jump to the rebel base.

I think i am going to use a few variations of this!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
    Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
    Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: