The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Quests?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Lightsaber Quests? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give the Force sensitive character a wild die roll in place of Sense since most Force Sensitives have some sense of the Force.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'd give the Force sensitive character a wild die roll in place of Sense since most Force Sensitives have some sense of the Force.

Like Garhkal has pointed out, I think I've already given enough hints - and it's obvious from the description that these are Vader's quarters. I'd be astonished if the team don't think to search there, and if they don't, I'm not sure the reward is deserved!

Unfortunately we've had to postpone until next week, real life getting in the way again!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Like Garhkal has pointed out, I think I've already given enough hints - and it's obvious from the description that these are Vader's quarters. I'd be astonished if the team don't think to search there, and if they don't, I'm not sure the reward is deserved!

And even IF you give them a 'roll', what do you do when they fail? Gve them another? Keep giving them one till they succeed??
in that case, why bother with the roll, just tell them they found XYZ..
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

And even IF you give them a 'roll', what do you do when they fail? Gve them another? Keep giving them one till they succeed??

I've also realised as well that if I did ask for a force roll and it was failed, the player would know for definite that there was something to be discovered and they'd tear the place apart trying to find out what was missed. Respectfully Raven, I do think in this case, it's better to leave out rolling for the force. I do really want them to find it, especially as I'm writing an elaborate cutscene for the moment, but equally, I don't want to find myself in that awkward situation.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

No. But if they roll a 1 on that wild die, then I do something spectacularly awful to them. Perhaps I'll have him die of a heart attack! Laughing

All seriousness... Some chance is better than no chance in my opinion, giving a wild die even on zero skill can lead to some interesting complications. Everyone here knows that you're fine with "you can't do that" and that's fine for your table and your group, but there is more than one way to run a Star Wars game. In a setting with something as mysterious and undefined as the Force, I could see offering someone a wild die. Maybe it explodes. Maybe it comes up a 1 and we see what kind of complication I can slide in there.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my way of doing things. I was just offering up another viewpoint to a GM.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:

I've also realised as well that if I did ask for a force roll and it was failed, the player would know for definite that there was something to be discovered and they'd tear the place apart trying to find out what was missed. Respectfully Raven, I do think in this case, it's better to leave out rolling for the force. I do really want them to find it, especially as I'm writing an elaborate cutscene for the moment, but equally, I don't want to find myself in that awkward situation.

Who's to say THEY make the roll? Like in ADND there are certain rolls the DM makes, cause maybe the PLAYERS shouldn't know what just happened?
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

No. But if they roll a 1 on that wild die, then I do something spectacularly awful to them. Perhaps I'll have him die of a heart attack! Laughing

All seriousness... Some chance is better than no chance in my opinion, giving a wild die even on zero skill can lead to some interesting complications. Everyone here knows that you're fine with "you can't do that" and that's fine for your table and your group, but there is more than one way to run a Star Wars game. In a setting with something as mysterious and undefined as the Force, I could see offering someone a wild die. Maybe it explodes. Maybe it comes up a 1 and we see what kind of complication I can slide in there.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my way of doing things. I was just offering up another viewpoint to a GM.

Agreed, I don't think there is a right or wrong, just down to personal GM preference.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The Bissler wrote:

Who's to say THEY make the roll? Like in ADND there are certain rolls the DM makes, cause maybe the PLAYERS shouldn't know what just happened?

Sure, makes sense! I'll keep it in reserve. Being honest, I expect them to ransack the place as soon as they realise these are Vader's quarters so I'm probably overthinking this now!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder. Would vader have thought to trap areas of his quarters? Could he have tainted things, so any 'goodie-goodie' comes in, would get smacked?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Scavenger Hunt Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder. Would vader have thought to trap areas of his quarters? Could he have tainted things, so any 'goodie-goodie' comes in, would get smacked?
Quote:
Fear will keep the local men in line. Fear of this Force choke.

Bless you, garhkal. What would be without our resident Evil GM always plotting against PCs?

No, I do not think Vader would "trap" his Death Star quarters. Who in their right mind would dare try to snoop around his quarters?! I think at most, he would lock his quarters and set up an alert if anyone enters. But the security station was blown up and Vader isn't actually there anymore, so there is no one to alert. They are literally on a chunk of Death Star floating in space.

Have you ran or played that adventure? Vader's closet with a spare helmet and cape are just to psych-out the players. There's not actually any real danger.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A counter to Whill... while I agree that Vader would not trap his quarters, that isn't to say he wouldn't have dangerous things in it. Sith Artifacts, ancient weapons, dirty laundry... maybe even a sparring droid that has gone a little bit nuts since the station blew up around it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
garhkal wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

You don't have to tell him what the 1D is for. Just ask him to roll 1D. But, I definitely get your point there, if I were worried about a player hard core metagaming, then I probably would forgo the check.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
A counter to Whill... while I agree that Vader would not trap his quarters, that isn't to say he wouldn't have dangerous things in it. Sith Artifacts, ancient weapons, dirty laundry... maybe even a sparring droid that has gone a little bit nuts since the station blew up around it.

OR something, that was sith made, so is carrying dark side taint, so any force sensitive picking it up, gets smacked...

Raven Redstar wrote:
You don't have to tell him what the 1D is for. Just ask him to roll 1D. But, I definitely get your point there, if I were worried about a player hard core metagaming, then I probably would forgo the check.

Or like i suggestd, roll it in secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: