The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Bowcaster... underpowered? My take on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Bowcaster... underpowered? My take on it. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I wished happened was that we had Bowcaster building options (to go with Lightsaber building options), as Chewbacca's was supposed to be an oddball design.

Various bolts for the design would be in that desire. Regular, ordinary, metal bolt? 4D Character Scale. Explosive bolt? 4D Speeder Scale (like we see in Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens). So on, so forth. Because that's the joy of physical ammo.

Never mind me. I'm just, yeah.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Bowcaster Ammo Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks. I have no issue with ammo factories on Kashyyyk, but like you said, this ammo would not be readily available anywhere in the galaxy, even to Wookiees. What about character ammo creation? Could a Wookiee with the right components and adequate technical prowess make their own ammo?
Ray wrote:
What I wished happened was that we had Bowcaster building options (to go with Lightsaber building options), as Chewbacca's was supposed to be an oddball design.

Various bolts for the design would be in that desire. Regular, ordinary, metal bolt? 4D Character Scale. Explosive bolt? 4D Speeder Scale (like we see in Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens). So on, so forth. Because that's the joy of physical ammo.

Never mind me. I'm just, yeah.

Well Ray, we are by and large tinkerer GMs here. We don't have to just wish that the publishers had done something. We can make it ourselves!

And in this case, CRMcNeill already has. Check it out. Lots of ammo options.

I think CRM is currently on the road so he may not be able to answer my question about bowcaster ammo, but I'm happy to hear from anyone if they think Wookiees should be able to produce their own ammo. It seems like a sensible option, especially in light of the fact that most Wookiees were enslaved by the Empire and Kashyyyk is under martial law. I can't imagine that the Empire would allow bowcaster ammo to be keep being manufactured, so it would seem that it would either have to be able to be made by individual Wookiees, or there is some underground manufacturer producing it, possibly off-planet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just memories of my old GM back home, if it wasn't in the books, he didn't like it.

Even so, we did have quite a few houserules, including adding a rate of fire to repeating blasters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bowcaster Ammo Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Could a Wookiee with the right components and adequate technical prowess make their own ammo?

Seems fair. My first thought would be to treat building ammo as an aspect of (A) Bowcaster Engineering, and then come up with appropriate Difficulties for each round type, depending on its complexity.

Quote:
I think CRM is currently on the road so he may not be able to answer my question.

Got it in one. 1,044 miles in 36 hours, and just made it home.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the input.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, considering how tech oriented the Wookiees are, they could just easily build an Ammo droid of some sort whose entire function is to build bowcaster ammo. I made the point in my write-up that bowcaster ammo doesn't have the symbolic importance of bowcasters, so there wouldn't be any real impetus for a Wookiee to sit around all day making individual rounds by hand. The droid wouldn't even need to be mobile, just a box you can hide somewhere with a power supply and raw material.

Alternately, you could make ammo construction have a CP cost spent between adventures to represent down time spent hand-loading rounds for use in the next campaign. Maybe roll it in with weapon maintenance.

In fact...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
BUILDING A BOWCASTER:
Because of their symbolic importance, Wookiees refuse to mass produce bowcasters; every bowcaster is assembled by hand. Assembling a bowcaster requires 5 days of dedicated work (8 hours per day) and three separate Bowcaster Repair rolls. The Difficulty of those rolls is dictated by the pattern of the bowcaster being assembled.

QUALITY BONUS:
Once all three Bowcaster Repair rolls have been completed, compare the lowest skill roll to the Base Assembly Difficulty. For every 5 points by which the low roll beat the Difficulty, add +1 pip to Fire Control, representing a particularly well made bowcaster.

A thought...

I'm considering adding a rule whereby the Wookiee can sacrifice Quality for Speed; essentially, trade some or all of the Quality Bonus in for a decrease in Build Time. I think it'd be appropriate to have the cost scale up, as well, something along the lines of:
    Construction Time Reduced By = Quality Bonus Cost
    1 day = +1
    2 days = +3
    3 days = +6

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good option to be there if you're in a rush to make your bowcaster.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: