The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star gravity slingshots?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm enjoying The Child eating eggs of a sentient creature. I hope it's not something they're going to do every episode.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:

It looked like he took hull plates from the body of the ship and sealed off part of the windows in the cockpit.

Exactly. When ship takes off and spider carcass drops from the hull, you can see plates wielded to the broken window location.

------
edit:
I rewatched the episode and there's seems to be a contradiction:
"It’s in this sector, one system trailing."
and then few seconds later:
"It’s one sector over."
Wookiepedia puts there two locations in one sector, so I guess the "sector over" was a mistake due to not following the first statement "one system".

PS. I wonder if it is closer than Geonosis (1 parsec from Tatooine). A lot of habitable planets packed all together (including the icy planet where they crashed)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
------
edit:
I rewatched the episode and there's seems to be a contradiction:
"It’s in this sector, one system trailing."
and then few seconds later:
"It’s one sector over."
Wookiepedia puts there two locations in one sector, so I guess the "sector over" was a mistake due to not following the first statement "one system".

PS. I wonder if it is closer than Geonosis (1 parsec from Tatooine). A lot of habitable planets packed all together (including the icy planet where they crashed)

Yes.

Grimace wrote:
The concept of time dilation isn't something to worry about in Star Wars. Remember, Star TREK is the setting where you need to concern yourself with time dilation. Star WARS is meant to gloss over such things and just go with the flow.

Grimace, that's an odd thing to say. Time dilation has literally never explicitly occurred on Star Trek, in the entire canon history of the franchise (TV shows and movies). Warp drive warps the laws of physics. Not only to exceed the speed of light, but it also conveniently eliminates time dilation, exactly the same as hyperspace in Star Wars.

Being an old school Trek fan like me, I think you may be remembering some of Gene Roddenberry's out-of-universe statements he made about Star Trek that the stardate system was designed to address time relativity with space missions. That may have been in response to one first season episode having stardates that completely engulf the stardates in another episode, which would make it seem like the one episode took place completely within the time frame of another story, which wouldn't have made narrative sense for those stories. When I took my first Physics class and wrote a paper on special relativity, I realized that Roddenberry's statements about stardates were just gobbledegook. The real reason for stardates is because, at first, Roddenberry was unwilling to have Star Trek tied down to any specific time period in the future. He wanted it vague, which is why all these contradictory "years ago" references creeped into the screenplays of the first couple seasons. Eventually Roddenberry nailed the setting down to 23rd century.

Time dilation would pose a franchise-breaking narrative block to either franchise, so it is waved away by technobabble made for fans who are aware of physics.

Ray wrote:
Space Opera, not Hard Sci-Fi.

True but Star Trek is also far from "hard sci-fi." Star Trek is technically also space opera, but it does have sci-fi themes so I would consider it a blend of space opera and soft sci-fi.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Episode 11 Reply with quote

It was cool to see a Mon Cal/Quarren colony world. It is weird that Mando had never even heard of any other Mandalorian clans before. I'm glad Mando seemed to become a little more tolerant by the end because he sure was acting like a religious zealot ("There's only one way, the way of the Mandalore.") I thought it was cool that they cast the voice actor for Bo-Katan as the live action actor and she right for the role. But just like in Season One when Mando first found out about the Jedi, I still think it's weird that he'd never heard of the Jedi. I know he was a kid in the Clone Wars, but so was Han Solo and he had heard of the Jedi.

And it is dumb that Mando was referred to Ahsoka Tano. Has no one ever heard of Luke Skywalker in the New Republic? It would also seem to be dumb if Ahsoka Tano didn't join the New Republic and find Luke Skywalker, the Jedi who has the same last name as her Jedi master. In the canon timeline Luke was somehow a legendary Jedi, but also hadn't trained a single Jedi to knighthood by 19 years after The Mandalorian (when Kylo Ben destroyed the Luke's Jedi Order). What the hell was Luke doing for 20 years after training Leia, and how did he become a legendary Jedi Master by the DT without making any new Jedi Knights? But actually Ahsoka was a part of the Rebel Alliance and realized that Vader was Anakin before ANH, so it really doesn't make sense that she didn't crossed paths with Luke Skywalker in the classic era and reveal/confirm Vader's true identity to Luke. But she couldn't have to maintain continuity with films.

So with this season pointlessly bringing Boba Fett back to life, bringing pre-classic-era characters through to the post-classic era, and diving into DT continuity, it seems the ball of yarn is really starting to unwind.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth a flight map
from the last episode.

Whill wrote:
And it is dumb that Mando was referred to Ahsoka Tano.

Despite the fact that Mando spent his time as far as possible from "a bright center to the universe" and may be completely unaware of Alliance heroes, Bo Katan gave him contact to person she knew and trusted. And we know, from the series, that in the past she was distrustful to both Jedi and Sith. So even if she heard about Skywalker, she did not know him enough (as well as his whereabouts) and therefore pointed Mando to Ashoka.

PS. Has anybody noticed a great business opportunity for Tatooine market? One of the most valued goods on this desert planet is naturally water (hence moisture farmers). But here you have two water-rich planets (sweet and salt water) that can be reached on sublight. Do the math. Wink

PS.2
Quote:
Not only to exceed the speed of light, but it also conveniently eliminates time dilation, exactly the same as hyperspace in Star Wars.

But in some cases this was ignored and speed of light was achieved and surpassed with no space warping or alternate dimension. But no need to dig that further...
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Grimace wrote:
The concept of time dilation isn't something to worry about in Star Wars. Remember, Star TREK is the setting where you need to concern yourself with time dilation. Star WARS is meant to gloss over such things and just go with the flow.

Grimace, that's an odd thing to say. Time dilation has literally never explicitly occurred on Star Trek, in the entire canon history of the franchise (TV shows and movies). Warp drive warps the laws of physics. Not only to exceed the speed of light, but it also conveniently eliminates time dilation, exactly the same as hyperspace in Star Wars.

Being an old school Trek fan like me, I think you may be remembering some of Gene Roddenberry's out-of-universe statements he made about Star Trek that the stardate system was designed to address time relativity with space missions. That may have been in response to one first season episode having stardates that completely engulf the stardates in another episode, which would make it seem like the one episode took place completely within the time frame of another story, which wouldn't have made narrative sense for those stories. When I took my first Physics class and wrote a paper on special relativity, I realized that Roddenberry's statements about stardates were just gobbledegook. The real reason for stardates is because, at first, Roddenberry was unwilling to have Star Trek tied down to any specific time period in the future. He wanted it vague, which is why all these contradictory "years ago" references creeped into the screenplays of the first couple seasons. Eventually Roddenberry nailed the setting down to 23rd century.

Time dilation would pose a franchise-breaking narrative block to either franchise, so it is waved away by technobabble made for fans who are aware of physics.

I stated it for the very reason that Star Trek is much more "attempt at realism" for a science fiction setting than Star Wars is. The current concept we have for moving at near-light or light speed is that there would be significant time dilation. Since we have never, in actuality, got anywhere close enough to experience time dilation, it's all guesswork and hypothesis right now. But that's something that would "fit" with Star Trek with it's Trek Technobabble, not something that a person should worry about when you're also dealing The Force that "surrounds us and binds us", and that has people walking around inside of a space worm with just breath masks on, talking about how moist it is inside of an asteroid.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that Time Dilation has not really been addressed in Star Trek, even WITH all of their time travel episode and sling-shotting around the sun and what-not. I likely am pulling upon my deeper Trek lore to directly attribute it to Trek. At the same time, though, Star Trek is definitely known as the "more cerebral and contemplative" and Star Wars the more "action and hand waving". So that is the primary reason I mentioned it.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

Yes, I am aware of the fact that Time Dilation has not really been addressed in Star Trek, even WITH all of their time travel episode and sling-shotting around the sun and what-not.

wasn't there a time dilation effect in Star Trek: The Motion Picture? When the Enterprise engaged their new warp drives 'in-system' ("that hadn't been calibrated, yet"?). I always assumed that they were representing a form of time dilation.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Grimace wrote:
Yes, I am aware of the fact that Time Dilation has not really been addressed in Star Trek, even WITH all of their time travel episode and sling-shotting around the sun and what-not.

wasn't there a time dilation effect in Star Trek: The Motion Picture? When the Enterprise engaged their new warp drives 'in-system' ("that hadn't been calibrated, yet"?). I always assumed that they were representing a form of time dilation.

I think their faulty warp drive had created a "wormhole" or something. But it wasn't time dilation because time dilation is the effect of time significantly slowing down for the passengers on the vessel compared to the universe at rest, and it occurs when traveling significantly near but under the speed of light. Meaning that when the ship came out of it then they would find that little time had passed for them, while in the rest of the universe it would be months or years later from when they left. That has literally never happened on Star Trek (maybe novels, but not TV episodes or movies). Star Trek writers and fans have never had to concern themselves with time dilation. The same warp field that allows the speed of light to be exceeded also prevents time dilation from occurring when accelerating to and decelerating from the speed of light.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in some novels.

In The Motion Picture they went 0,5 c (warp) on impulse but it's too slow for some serious time dilatation.

In First Contact it was warp drive acceleration used in Phoenix, so no time dilatation could occur.

In DS9 Explorers wooden sail ship accelerated to and beyond speed of light (no space warping, just pushed by tachyons) and no time dilatation, no mass increase, no structural damage ect.)

In some other episodes ships were very close to strong gravity sources (Dyson Sphere, outside / inside black holes ect.) and no time dilatation occurred. Only in rpg sourcebooks it is mentioned that full impulse is limited to 0.25c because at higher speeds time dilatation would occur.

Still, in ST it was very hard to keep consistency within the created universe (lots of Trek mistakes movies on YT), so it's hard to say that this phenomenon will not occur in the future as some sort of plot device.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did it take me until s2e3 to realize how much the Razor Crest looks like a Firefly?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because she wasn't beat up enough until now. Laughing Parts of me laughed heavily when I saw the repaired Razor Crest and thought that it was rigged up to work through piano wire like a WWI Biplane. Twisted Evil

Personally, I loved the repurposed AT-AT. I've seen numerous pictures of Universal Carriers being repurposed as farm tractors over the years, so repurposing of military hardware isn't that out of the ordinary.

Like in the Rebels episode where we meet Bushman!Captain Rex and their AT-TE is now a sand fishing barge.

Makes me wonder what other things the military vehicles of the Empire and the Rebellion were repurposed for...
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode WaterWorld watched and done. So far, so good.

When I was a young man, I didn't understand why some of the young women in my school couldn't accept good relationships because after a string of bad ones, they were "just waiting for something to go wrong", in the words of one friend.

Well, now I know. I sit stiffly through each episode of Ye Mandylorriane, just waiting for it to all crash and burn.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, we discussed the possibility of the Mandos from Season 1 being an ultra-orthodox sect of the larger Mandalorian culture. Nice to know Dredwulf60's Mandalorian PC system still holds up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Can't say I'm enjoying The Child eating eggs of a sentient creature. I hope it's not something they're going to do every episode.

It was uncomfortable, which is why I thought it worked. First, eating things you're not supposed to is very relatable when you have kids, and The Child eats anything squishy, it seems. Also, it gives the scene when Mando gets the Frogs to baby sit him much more tense. I was seriously worried he'd eat ALL of them Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 14 of 33

Jump to: