The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Specializing in Force skills/Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Specializing in Force skills/Powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Specializing in Force skills/Powers Reply with quote

Looking through things I have noticed that even the old guy can actually chuck up his force lightning to a mere harmeless spark.

Now the odds of him rolling a2 andonly 1s islow but it is there, and with the game mechanics, his lightning "only" deals 6-7D character scale damage
amking it hard but asboulutely not too har for a str 4D person to actually stand a chance.

Yet if we look at the movies, the boos and comics, and the flawour of the game and saga I think maybe there is something other than "plot ability" that allows the old guy to ssimply "never fail" at being at what seems like max destructiveness or an ability to actually control his damage output.

This made me think that though it will remove the possibility of failure it will reduce it if maybe there was some way to implement skill specializations on force powers.

mace windu, not only being badass due to his vapaad style and his shatterpoint ability, his more than likely specialization in some type of lightsaber or specializing in the use of his own, I could see also haveing the specialization extent to the power lightsaber combat.
Any thoughts?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last game, I starting allowing the Jedi to specialize with his Powers. It worked fairly well.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may I ask what kind of system if any you used for it?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'specialize' in a specific force power, what exactly are you meaning?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When you say 'specialize' in a specific force power, what exactly are you meaning?

I am thinking either specializing in the three force skills, Alter, control and sense.

or a power under this, like telekineis (yes I know the zeison sha template)

Something like Force 2D
Alter 2D (s) Alter-Telekinesis

And maybe using the normal rules.

I was thinking somethin like this.
Basically someway to have someone like the old guy, be more less sure he can both deal enough damage and actually pull off things like sparkies.

Now if we look athis stats, they may vary some we see his alter and control scores.

I have one here at 14D control and 15D Alter.
Now with the rules on things like force lighting he would "only" roll 1/2 his Alter rounded down 15/2 7,5=7D

Now considering the game mechanics here hecan actually roll all over the place.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was to see something like that, it would have to be real special (IE not every damn swing dick force user could get it), more like something they spend time to LEARN, once they are already at the knight/master stage.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i was to see something like that, it would have to be real special (IE not every damn swing dick force user could get it), more like something they spend time to LEARN, once they are already at the knight/master stage.

makes a lot of sense.

I was thinking to make it "matter" if you have 1D or 3D or 6D to force attribute.

Maybe letting the force Dice determine the skill cap of the force skills.

Somethinglike this.

Force: 1D Force Skill MAX 4D
Force: 2D Force Skill MAX 7D
Force: 3D Force Skill Max 10D
Force: 4D Force Skill max 13D

Max Skill is Force dice x3D
with +1D pr Added dice

1D/4D
2D/7D
3D/10D

Becuse if force 1D and force 4D are "equal"
when both have control 4D and use a control power......

As I understand it it matter not in any way if you have 1D or 6D in force, it is the same since all powers are only based on skill and not like with brawling you use skill to hit and attribute for damage.

Now one thing that could maybe be something to condiser is atually force poit use.

use the singular force rules as is , but when you use a force power you do double the dice, AND you ADD your force attribute score.
Now your force attribute matters.

a persson with 1D force can use a force point, double his skill dice and ADD his +1D given by the force
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this in my house rules and it worked well:

Force Power Specialization
A Jedi may specialize in particular Force powers. It works similar to a Skill Bonus Special Ability from D6 Space.

Force Power Specialization (1)
For each rank of this special ability, the character gains bonus +1D to distribute between force skills used to activate one specific force power. This bonus is flexible and may be distributed differently for each use of force power (although amount of bonus must be decided before the roll), maximum bonus to one roll is +3D. Such specialization requires continuous training and because of that player shouldn’t take more than five ranks of this ability in total (not per force power).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I have this in my house rules and it worked well:

Force Power Specialization
A Jedi may specialize in particular Force powers. It works similar to a Skill Bonus Special Ability from D6 Space.

Force Power Specialization (1)
For each rank of this special ability, the character gains bonus +1D to distribute between force skills used to activate one specific force power. This bonus is flexible and may be distributed differently for each use of force power (although amount of bonus must be decided before the roll), maximum bonus to one roll is +3D. Such specialization requires continuous training and because of that player shouldn’t take more than five ranks of this ability in total (not per force power).

Smile Very Happy Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multple levels of force specialization? Can a non-force user, do the same for regular skills?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
may I ask what kind of system if any you used for it?

Me? Nothing very formal. I just based it off how specialization work for skills in 2e. I didn’t run the game long enough to see any problems. It did help the Jedi be better in Light saber combat. And frankly we don’t get together enough to play it enough to gain experience enough to non Jar Jar Binks for awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: