The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: Resistance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: Resistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Star Wars: Resistance Reply with quote

Original announcement thread

I watched the pilot episode of Resistance and was... underwhelmed. I really didn't find it nearly as entertaining or compelling as the first episode of Rebels, however I'm going to save my full judgement until after I watch the next couple episodes that are available to stream.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. The animated Star Wars has been pretty good this century so hopefully it's just a slow start.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Disney does not want me to watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes, so I suppose I'll just have to settle for being left with my initial impression of: Meh...
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the first three episodes and found it lacking. It's definitely going the sloooow burn route and is completely geared toward kids (who I know are the targeted demographic). Many of the characters, particularly the main protagonist Kaz, irritated me fairly quickly and often, though it could just be because I'm a grump-@$$.

It's a shame, though, since I enjoyed Rebels right from the start, as it closely resembled what I saw as an RPG campaign come-to-life featuring: a failed Jedi, a brash pilot, a kid/young Jedi, a "Wookiee"-type, a bounty hunter, and a droid PC. And they flew around in a dilapidated freighter, to boot! The adventures started off small and grew grander as the characters became stronger, culminating in the liberation of Lothal from the Empire. Sure there were the occasional off show and WTH-moments, but I enjoyed the show much more than TCW. To be fair, I'm probably biased as Star Wars was the first movie I saw when I four.

I really am hoping Resistance gets better. The station setup screams DS9, which isn't a bad thing. It's a big place with plenty adventure awaiting, whether planetside or beyond.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, if you watched The Clone Wars from the start (including the movie), you'd probably feel the same. I got into the Clone Wars mostly at the recommendation of people who knew I enjoyed Rebels. Fortunately, they warned me that the first season and a half are slow, but after that it really takes off. Still, it was...difficult...getting through that initial hurdle, and even so, I still don't find it quite as engaging as other animated shows of a similar milieu (e.g., various Gundam series like Z Gundam and the original 0079). But I'm familiar with slow-burn animated series and how they can build gradually towards a thrilling conclusion (e.g., Space Battleship Yamato, Gundam 0079). Most shows get better over time, I find. Hopefully, this will, too.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binged the first season, mostly this morning.

I agree that the early episodes are really weak, and I don't particularly like Kaz as a protagonist. He's got that combination of ignorant and arrogant that makes him an unsympathetic protagonist, despite them clearly wanting him to be. It does pick up towards the last half, once things get a bit more dicey and desperate and he stops trying to be what he thinks he should be and dealing with the problems at hand, but I still didn't particularly like him.

Since the first series is out, the post below will start talking about spoilers. After this post, I won't guarantee things won't be spoiled.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, while I doubt they'll do it, the end of season 1 has some interesting implications for The Rise of Skywalker.

Towards the end of Season 1, we see the destruction of Hosnian Prime, which means we're very close to the events of TFA, TLJ, and, possibly, TRoS. The group on the Colossus is operating separately (though in coordination with) the group headed by General Organa, and so the decimation of that group at D'Qar and Crait won't affect them... especially since they didn't go straight to D'Qar with their capital ship, and so may not have been involved with all that.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up finishing the first season on D+.

I was amazed that show went from a campy kids show to dark in zero seconds flat. When Kaz sees the First Order broadcast, I really started to sympathize with the character. All in all, I have to amend my initial reaction and say that while the show starts off kind of crappy, by the end of the first season I'm enjoying the show and would like to see where it goes from there.

The show also reminds me of a series of RPG sessions.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Towards the end of Season 1, we see the destruction of Hosnian Prime, which means we're very close to the events of TFA, TLJ, and, possibly, TRoS.

Close to the events of TFA? The destruction of Hosnian Prime is an event of TFA.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Towards the end of Season 1, we see the destruction of Hosnian Prime, which means we're very close to the events of TFA, TLJ, and, possibly, TRoS.

Close to the events of TFA? The destruction of Hosnian Prime is an event of TFA.

Yes, but that also establishes that we're close to TLJ, and possible TRoS. It also puts all the previous events into context... they're not happening a couple years before TFA, like Rebels started. They're happening at the same time.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what??? I'm gonna have to watch that show!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have been watching the show the past couple months and tonight we watched the final episode of S1 and the first episode of S2. It is during TFA so yes, TLJ is the very near future and TRoS is one year away. Since they dropped out of hyperspace a few parsecs away from the Resistance base, I assume this explains why they weren't in TLJ.

The show is not what I thought it would be. I thought the show was about a fighter squadron. But it's about a commercial floating ocean station that is also a flying ship with a hyperdrive, defended by racer planes that are also starfighters. OK, new premise for Star Wars. I like that the show has so many varied female characters.

But the show is just too little kiddie for me. Kaz is slapstick and it is just too silly that he was a spy. BB droids are superdroids. It's dumb that Poe gave BB-8 to Kaz just to take him back (in time to maintain continuity with the films) and replace him with a different but equally (if not more) uber BB droid. CB-23 should have been the droid Poe gave him in the first place. And it makes no sense to me why the First Order would go to all that trouble with hiring the pirates to manipulate the Captain Doza into making a deal with the First Order when they could have just taken the station by force at any time.

The human and nearhuman female characters have an idealistic but humanly possible body shape while the men usually have unrealistically long legs. Why? And for the love of the Force I am so sick of the gigantic eyes in Star Wars animation. Why, Dave? Why? What is wrong with realistically proportioned human features in animation? Would kids not like it if animated characters had realistically proportioned eyes and legs? Is this just what the outdated corporate executive dinosaurs think so we are stuck in this paradigm? There are still aliens to have silly looking features, so I just do not get it.

The show had no gravitas before they found out about Hosnian Prime. We'll finish the show so 21 down and 19 episodes to go. We'll see what happens.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...The show had no gravitas before they found out about Hosnian Prime. We'll finish the show so 21 down and 19 episodes to go. We'll see what happens.

And a few episodes into Season 2 and Kaz finds out his family survived the destruction of their planet because they were off world. We are back to no gravitas.

The show does have some good inspirations for a refueling station setting for the RPG. So I may even have the Colossus in my game but it will be backed up to classic era. Maybe I will even have the origin story of Doza defecting from the Empire.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: