The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning Reply with quote

For the record, I don’t have a stat or rule in mind for this, but I still think it’s worth mentioning.

I stumbled across this interesting topic recently. The tl;dr version is that oil companies will create minor seismic events by dropping heavy weights on the ground from a couple meters up, and using the resulting vibrations for geological survey purposes.

So what if walkers do something similar at much shorter range to identify unstable terrain or pitfall traps? Even if the range is only 100 meters or so, it’d give a walker ample information about the ground conditions in its immediate area.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
For the record, I don’t have a stat or rule in mind for this, but I still think it’s worth mentioning.

I stumbled across this interesting topic recently. The tl;dr version is that oil companies will create minor seismic events by dropping heavy weights on the ground from a couple meters up, and using the resulting vibrations for geological survey purposes.

So what if walkers do something similar at much shorter range to identify unstable terrain or pitfall traps? Even if the range is only 100 meters or so, it’d give a walker ample information about the ground conditions in its immediate area.

makes a lot of sense.

My first thought is to mabe give some walker/ground vehicels a sensor stat like starships.
and then use the same rules, but for Meter" since the game does use a metric system.

so lets say an AT-ST has the following

Passive 20/1D
Scan 40/2D
Search 80/3D
Focus 10/4D

These sensors can be "drop charges" if need be
much like a dept charge, launched, it release a pulse that is fed back to the walker system giving a result.
Or just static sensors like on starships
Unlike starships these ranges are in meters.

(ignore my HIG Dice here, it was just to illustrate)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That's an interesting angle.. Would make sense that the walkers we saw on hoth, didn't seem to worry about where they were stomping!

I'd put those, as something maybe, that comes under their passive sensors.. BUT can't be used while its firing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this doesn't really need special rules or limitations; it's more of a bit of fluff to explain why walkers aren't susceptible to certain kinds of traps, and possibly as part of their "all terrain" designation (scanning allows them to pick and choose the firmer ground). Notice on Endor there weren't any pit falls and the like, but there were plenty of other traps above ground that were reasonably effective.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those also only worked vs the chicken walkers, not the big dogs!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkers and Seismic Source Scanning Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Thoughts?

My thought is that this is an absolute must for AT-ATs to have. From a real world engineering perspective, having something of such massive weight being supported by four "legs" is really illogical because they would all be pressure points that could easily cause a collapse of the ground they are walking on, sinking the legs underground. So AT-ATs have to know in advance if the terrain is unstable. (And a side effect of that would include discovering intentionally laid pitfall traps as well.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR even locating enemy underground tunnels!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: