The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is overrated and shoulda stayed dead.

Still awesome in The Mandalorian tho. These things aren't mutually exclusive, it's all in the execution.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Still awesome in The Mandalorian tho. These things aren't mutually exclusive, it's all in the execution.

Awesome? How? By this time we’re seeing Storm troopers as a joke not a credible threat. So he’s beating up keystone cops-not awesome. Now if the storm troopers were shown more competent then Boba Fett would’ve been more awesome. Any ways my 2 cents. 😀
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Awesome? How? By this time we’re seeing Storm troopers as a joke not a credible threat. So he’s beating up keystone cops-not awesome. Now if the storm troopers were shown more competent then Boba Fett would’ve been more awesome. Any ways my 2 cents.

Speaking of keystone cops, after being a cool-looking plot device in TESB, Boba Fett's role in the classic trilogy was ultimately slapstick comedy. Fett was the Jar Jar Binks of RotJ — the only difference is that Boba wasn't goofy looking. Fett looked cool, so the slapstick was a surprise in RotJ (when in TPM it was totally expected of Jar Jar). In my 1983 theatrical viewing of RotJ, the audience erupted into laughter at Fett's comedic demise, not unlike six years earlier when the droids ran through a blaster fight in ANH.

So five years before The Mandalorian in the timeline, Boba Fett was shown as incompetent himself, which makes the stormtroopers in this show look very incompetent. An "awesome" Boba Fett does not even compute with what we see in the classic trilogy. I cannot even see The Mandalorian as being set in the same universe.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtrooper's competence is always scaled to plot needs. They are inexplicably, sub-simian levels of incompetence in some scenes, and in others their arrival is cause for Our Heroes to panic. I don't look for Star Wars to be all things, if I want a good story, there's better places to get it than Star Wars. I want it to have a few wry jokes but not too much comic relief. And other things that loosely define its style. For me it's its own genre like Johnny Cash. I just want it to fit the vibe of Star Wars. To me, this show and R1 and the Tartakovsky Clone Wars have done so.

Perhaps I am too harsh on D+ not releasing a lot of the older stuff yet. It's plausible that there's serious legal red tape to sort out for things that predated the concept of "streaming". I know of stranger things happening with a gaming company.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Stormtrooper's competence is always scaled to plot needs. They are inexplicably, sub-simian levels of incompetence in some scenes, and in others their arrival is cause for Our Heroes to panic.

Stormtroopers come in various competence levels. Boba Fetts seem to too. He is clone, so maybe there are multiple Boba Fetts of various competence levels.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I don't look for Star Wars to be all things, if I want a good story, there's better places to get it than Star Wars.

You take that back!

j/k

TauntaunScout wrote:
Perhaps I am too harsh on D+ not releasing a lot of the older stuff yet. It's plausible that there's serious legal red tape to sort out for things that predated the concept of "streaming". I know of stranger things happening with a gaming company.

Maybe. I am not aware of any legalities in showing the old stuff. But I did notice that every single thing on there is in the current Canon, or Lego. It could be that they simply do not want to show the "Legends" continuity because it would confuse the newer or casual fans of the franchise, or draw comparisons even more than it already does.

Disney does not seem to embrace the infinite wisdom of Chancellor Palpatine:

Quote:
Anakin, if one is to understand the great franchise, one must study all its continuities, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Star Wars Story Group. If you are to become a complete and wise fan you must embrace a larger view of the Canon.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tauntaunscout I get your point about competency and plot. I laughed when the Scout Troopers couldn’t hit the can in Season One and I laughed in Season 2 with the “where are you locked down? In the control room”.

The thing is too that my older son said “Dad Mando is like Batman with all his cool gear”. And this got me thinking is that they need to be careful. Remember the Roger Moore eta of James Bond when it was more about having cool gadgets than being a cool spy? This is the other thing that sorta gnaws at me-when thinking such things during Third shift- is Mandalorian armor is so fantastic, is it the armor or the man inside which is a great warrior? Ever play in a Super Hero game and you’re nigh invulnerable? (Oh it’s great for a bit). How much victory is there really if you are Superman versus joe normal? You know to show how Brave (and or stupid) it was for Mando take those hits when they stole the ship, the male Nite Owl should’ve taken a decent hit by a Storm Trooper.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow superheroes much. And I don't play video games. The only superheroes I ever got into was Spiderman and The Phantom cause they were in the Sunday comics. Ie, the ones I could get stories about fro free.

Although that was one of the things that made Mad Max, Diehard, etc. so good. The leads get visibly forked up over the course of the film.

Sometimes contracts are worded in ways that open you up to liability if you don't track down some gig artist from 30 years ago and get them to sign something. Especially with things like streaming, that aren't mentioned at all in old contracts. I know Games Workshop has run into that trying to re-issue old gaming miniatures.

More likely Disney are being continuity jerks and/or cheapskates not wanting to pay residuals to actors or something. But it is possible red tape is keeping them from releasing stuff.

I kinda think 77-83 versions of the OT will print money when they're released so Disney is probably holding off till they need an easy cash cow, basically.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
...I kinda think 77-83 versions of the OT will print money when they're released so Disney is probably holding off till they need an easy cash cow, basically.

The Force knows I pray for this. Everyone should have access to the original versions in whatever the current TV/player technology. Not only will this be a cash cow, but it will also put an end to a lot of fan complaining about it. I can't wait.

However, there is another possibility. Disney has shown a very odd loyalty to Lucas's latest visions of Star Wars. They did bring TCW through to the new Canon even though it was post-films and contradicts the films.

The 4K version of ANH on D+ is clearly unfinished because there was no reason to add "ma klounkee" without subtitles ("This will be the end of you"). Adding that fits with Lucas' MO of giving Han more "justification" to shoot Greedo. Of course I never thought altering the scene was necessary and I am not trying to justify any Greedo alterations. I am just saying that the fact that we don't see what it means shows that we are just getting the final alteration where Lucas left off when he sold to Disney.

So as morbid as it is to say this, I think there is a chance Disney may actually be waiting for George to kick off before they re-release the unaltered versions of the OT.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
However, there is another possibility. Disney has shown a very odd loyalty to Lucas's latest visions of Star Wars.

When I worked in theater, there was no word more feared and hated among those of us in the bottom rungs of ladder, than "vision".
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's favorite episodes? Or perhaps most rewatched episodes?

I guess for me it's the premiere, the two season finales, The Tragedy, and the two Seven Samurai remakes, against the AT-ST and Krayt Dragon respectively.

I don't have much time for the ones with the salamander lady, or the jail break. This series doesn't have any BAD episodes, I just don't feel like rewatching those ones much.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with the episode that had the Munitions factory. Felt like a Mad Max: Fury Road thing, especially at the end with all the pursuers with detonators.

I swear, if one of them had gone, "WITNESS ME!!!"...
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I gotta go with the episode that had the Munitions factory. Felt like a Mad Max: Fury Road thing, especially at the end with all the pursuers with detonators.

I swear, if one of them had gone, "WITNESS ME!!!"...

V8!

That's one of the things that's making Mando work. It's drawing from everything ans asking, not just Star Wars.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard today that Gina Carano has been fired from the Mandalorian, and will no longer be considered for any role in the other spinoffs.

I really enjoyed her character, and found her very easy on the eyes. But much like a former major politician in the US, she seemed incapable of not sticking her foot in her mouth on social media.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is no need for us to discuss the real-word Disney/actor-related reasons behind it here. But yes the character of Cara Dune will not appear in The Mandalorian or any of its spin-offs, and we can discuss that from a fictional in-universe perspective. I had thought when first announced that the Ranger spin-off show would be about her, but that was incorrect anyway. The Rangers show will supposedly center on NR Rangers who fly around in the outer rim in X-Wings, like galactic marshals. I think the pilot characters with blasters from the "spider" episode were Rangers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, she's pretty easy to write out. "Oops, Cara went back to being a sheriff, and we coincidentally never see her again." Especially if they spend season 3 dealing with Mandalor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 24 of 33

Jump to: