The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ultra-simplified Force Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ultra-simplified Force Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little playtesting in the 4D Force skill range, I've decided that I like this way of doing Force Skills over the power list. As I come across powers that don't make sense for just adding to base skills, I'll post what I come up with at the time and see if we can get enough accumulated to make an actual document for them.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sure, that's a cool rules option, but regarding Luke, he showed more lightsaber skills on Bespin than he would have learned from Obi-Wan and Yoda combined. So Luke getting a little more general Jedi training in between feels right to me.

I’ve seen other people who seem to have to justify why Luke was uber with Force skills then later later with Rey. It’s called (besides plot) the are the naturally super gifted, in this case STRONG with the Force. I mean we see it ALL the time IRL. Some people struggle to build a simple wooden box (me) and others can eyeball it it and craft a box in no time. Anyways with regards to Luke, it never bothered me about his training cause he is the ONE.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Anakin is the One so Luke is the son of the One (and yes, they and Leia are all special). For me, it's not important to explain Rey.

I do agree that there is such a thing as being natural gifted in the Force, and Luke is that. In my game, I represent that with The Force attribute. That's biological Force ability. In my game, you can have up to a few dice in Control and Sense, and even some instinctive Force powers, without any training. However, I submit that in the original sequels Luke still demonstrated skills beyond natural ability and his minimal Jedi training, so additional interfilmic Jedi training makes sense me.

But for me it's not just to explain Luke having Jedi Knight status at the end of RotJ. My SWU's post-RotJ is radically different than Canon Universe's, and even the EU's. I see Luke as taking Yoda's imperative to pass on what he has learned very seriously by first training Leia. After a training period (accelerated because Skywalker) while they hunt the galaxy to recruit Jedi students, Leia becomes a Jedi Knight and Luke becomes a Jedi Master. A new Jedi Order is established ASAP because the galaxy is desperately short on Jedi. In Legends Luke takes way too long to establish a new Jedi Order, and in Canon he never does in the 30 post-RotJ years of his life. Even with natural Force ability, by the films alone, Luke is way too pitifully trained to become a Jedi Master so young in my SWU.

These non-master trainers of Luke also conveniently serve some other continuity filling purposes in my SWU. I realize other fans may not need these things for their sense of verisimilitude for Star Wars, but I do not understand other fan objections to what I do with my SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I liked from the Legends of Luke Skywalker was Luke travelling to other places and learning about their Force traditions; not mastering them, by any means, but learning how they saw the Force and integrating them into his tradition. I felt it provided some degree of "How Luke got Trained", but also allowed him to reinvigorate the Jedi philosophy.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering exactly how much of Luke's natural aptitude with a lightsaber can be explained by the precognitive nature of his connection to the Force. If someone has the powerful, natural connection to the Force that Anakin and his offspring have, it's conceivable that the Force would guide their movements as needed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm wondering exactly how much of Luke's natural aptitude with a lightsaber can be explained by the precognitive nature of his connection to the Force. If someone has the powerful, natural connection to the Force that Anakin and his offspring have, it's conceivable that the Force would guide their movements as needed.

5D Force Attribute would equate to a +2D+1 bonus to any skill checks that can be influenced by the Force User's aptitude. I think my system fits just fine. Wink
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The non-canon "Weapon of the Jedi" also has him visit a world, post-ANH, to learn lightsaber techniques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: