The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Describe your Hybrid 1E Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Describe your Hybrid 1E Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
It might be a fun, less crunchy way of dealing with space units.
I'm looking at something along those lines, while trying to retain the graduating effect of the "outer" range bands taking more time to cross than the "inner" ones. I get the feeling the "three units" method you describe above probably works well for foot chases in close environments like forests or city streets, but might have some problems for extended tail chases over long distances...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use diagrams from Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (1st and 2ed; page 54 in both versions), representing capital ship/starfighter battle zones:
1st ed.
2nd ed.

Sensor range - zone 4 and further
Long range - zone 3 (capital weapon range)
Medium range - zone 2 (capital weapon range / starfighter weapon range at reduced effectiveness)
Short range - zone 1 (capital / starfighter weapon range)
Point blank - Primary zone “0” (most capital weaponry at reduced targeting effectiveness / starfighter weapon range)

- No numeric range for weapons space combat.
- Speed code (no space units). Sublight benchmarks are enough for rough speed:d6, d20 part1 and d20 part 2
- No specified range for sensors (no space units, no hard numbers) exactly as in 1 ed. Dice bonus from 2nd ed for particular sensor type remained.

Thinking of adapting these rules from 2ed d20 but its still work in progress.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a similar approach, but applied to both personal and vehicle combat, as well. I want to engineer out as much of the hard ranges as possible, and revert to a more narrative-focused approach.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ground combat I am planning to introduce similar zones:

Sensor range - zone 4 and further (long range missile weapons, capital ship weaponry and higher)
Long range - zone 3 (rifles, exotic weapons, artillery, vehicle weapons, starfighter weapons, all above)
Medium range - zone 2 (carbines, exotic, some firearms/archaic, all above)
Short range - zone 1 (pistols, flamers, all above)
Point blank - zone 0 (thrown weapons, all above)

Movement through the zones (rough guidelines*):

Point blank: character - 1 round,
Short range: character - 1+ round,
Medium range: character - 3+ rounds

Vehicles/starships: all three zones (PB, S, M) in 1 round+
---------------------------------------------------------
Long range: character - 10 rounds+, vehicle - 3 rounds+, starship - 1 round+
Sensor range - GM decision

* these are suggested minimal times giving the idea of an approximate size of each zone. Of course many factors modify these, like terrain, environment, speed/condition/type of a character/vehicle ect.
So it is possible for a vehicle to cross Long Range Zone in just 3 rounds as well in 10 rounds or more.

For "Long and Sensor range" I have taken into account scenes:

Snowspeeders approach in TESB
Craith attack in TLJ
Mandalorian Episode 5: Speeder bike charge at the sniper (sorry no clip)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that version of Movement through Range Zones / Bands is that is doesn't take into account how ships with higher Speed Codes may be able to change Range at higher rates than slower. Why, for instance, would an A-Wing close at the same rate as a YT-1300?

As I mentioned above, I'm planning on having four different range groups based on the type of combat occuring; personal, vehicular, aerial and space, each of which will have a degree of overlap with the other (as in, Point Blank for Vehicle Combat will be equivalent to Medium Range for Personal Combat, and so on and so forth). I'm still mulling over how to do the overlap, but here's a couple things I've come up with:
    -Ship/vehicle systems will have differing "scales" based on environment type. For example, Space-Scale range will be exclusively for large Capital-Scale weapons. Starfighter weapons will be Aerial-Scale, but still be usable in Space-Scale combat, albeit at reduced range (with Point Blank for Space Range weaponry be Long Range for Aerial Range weaponry).

-Range Scales and modifiers will also be applied to Sensors (which will use the Instant Adventure rule of having a single D value, likely with modifiers by Range).

-Two additional Range Bands: Distant (for targets that are in Sensor Range but out of Weapon Range) and Extreme (for targets at the ragged edge of Sensor Range).

-If a smaller Range-Scale vehicle or character can get inside Point Blank Range, they will effectively be "under the guns" of weapons with the higher Range-Scale, and thus can't be targeted. Therefore, weapons with a lower Range Scale must be mounted for point defense.

-Starfighters that get in close to a capital ship can treat it like a small planetoid, with a Piloting/Operations roll every round to "stay low", modified by how much larger the ship is.

There are a lot of details to be sorted out, but I feel confident in the direction it's heading.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem with that version of Movement through Range Zones / Bands is that is doesn't take into account how ships with higher Speed Codes may be able to change Range at higher rates than slower. Why, for instance, would an A-Wing close at the same rate as a YT-1300?

I thought about it, that is why I wrote:

Quote:
vehicle - 3 rounds+, starship - 1 round+

and
Quote:
Of course many factors modify these, like terrain, environment, speed/condition/type of a character/vehicle ect.

Originally, my intention was to leave the decision to GM, much like in case of sublight benchamrk time of long distance travel.

But there's an easy formula to represent speed difference between ships and to keep it simple without hard numbers, you can use the following:

GM describes a scene in which 2 rebel ships close at the Imperial base with anti-vehicle/ship artillery. Ships enter long range zone for artillery and GM states it has a "size" of 10 rounds. These ships are A-Wing and B-Wing (let's assume speed 5D and 2D respectively)

Option 1:
A-Wing will zap it in 2 rounds (10 rounds base divided by its speed code of 5D)
B-Wing will cross it in 5 rounds (10 rounds base divided by its speed code of 2D)

Option 2:
Substract Speed Code Number from the Distance Rounds so then there would be 5 rounds for A Wing and 8 rounds for B Wing.

If ships decide to fly in formation, use the slowest ship speed value value to determine time of crossing a zone.

No rolls.
Uneven numbers rounding up or down - GM decision.

Anyway, the key point is to avoid any hard numbers for the zones as these will be abstract depending on conditions and equipment involved (and movies/series/games new ideas . Rolling Eyes )
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to throw out actually rolling the Speed Codes. And having the GM declare an area in "rounds" doesn't really work with a uniform range system, which is what I'm aiming for, with all ships having the same ranges, just with varying degrees of system functionality (read: dice modifiers) as range increases.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's still work in progress. And as I said I try to avoid any hard numbers in order not be restrained by additional factors that have to be tracked during session. More storytelling type of approach instead of typical map based strategy game.

And rolls are needed in pursuit stage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, if one were to go the Static Defense route, it would be an easy segue into using flat values in other areas, including Range.

Perhaps one could take a page from the D20 system and simply give players the option of "taking a 3" (basically treating all their dice as though they rolled a 3, plus any pips), which parallels the Mini-Six rules for generating a Static Defense value in the first place.

Viewed that way, Ranges would still have a set value, but ships could either "take a 3" on their Speed Code dice, or take the option/gamble of rolling their Speed Code to see if they get a better result.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm hesitant to throw out actually rolling the Speed Codes. And having the GM declare an area in "rounds" doesn't really work with a uniform range system, which is what I'm aiming for, with all ships having the same ranges, just with varying degrees of system functionality (read: dice modifiers) as range increases.

A thought on this. Maybe Dice Caps could be applied to Speed Codes, but inverted, so that, depending on how fast a character wanted to go (or on how high they rolled on their Piloting or Running skills), any Speed Dice would have minimum values, and any results rolled under that value would be treated as the minimum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: