The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Good tools for online games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Good tools for online games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Good tools for online games Reply with quote

I think the game is simple enough that you can just play it with Discord and a dice roller. But sometimes tools like Roll20 and the like have neat little features.

I looked at the Star Wars d6 sheets on Roll20 and I really don't like them. The Output also looks really strange and I have no clue how the rolls are produced. Very much not a fan.

Are there are other similar tools that handle Star Wars better and are worth looking into?

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a game over Discord, and with the dice bots there I find it good enough.

I really don't know other places, though there are some purely text based live messging roleplay sites out there, but I suppose most of them are "polluted" with too much -adult- stuff.

I would recomend discord though, is easy and works , at least it works well enough for me
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering how well tabletop simulator would work, though Discord is free vs the cost of tabletop simulator

I also do not know if tabletop simulator has webcam support like Discord does and it feels more like gaming being able to see who you are playing with
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Maybe it is not exactly what you are looking for... but it has worked for my group of players: there is a mobile app called "mRPG". Its basically a "whatsapp" in which you can make rolls, character sheets, PCs and NPCs. As GM you can write as any character. You can also attach images in messages...

For the GM it takes a bit more of work (I write in Evernote on my laptop and then I copy and paste in my mobile phone, directly in the app). For me, this has been the first and only time an "online game" has worked till the end: I've played other adventures in the past in forums, as player, with the same people, and the adventures became unplayable because of the people (GM included) not "posting".

With this app, is easier for players. They are very happy with it.

I hope this can help you!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Does the app incorporate wild die mechanics?

Edit: I downloaded the app and checked it out, it does allow for Wild die mechanics similarly to the Sidekick bot for discord. I'm getting a buddy of mine to download it so we can give it a test go. I'll post my thoughts after a couple of sessions.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Does the app incorporate wild die mechanics?

Hi again! Sorry for being late with my answer. As you say in your edit: yes.

When you write (for example) //4D6//, it makes four rolls of 6D.
For wild die you only had to add an "!" after the "6".

So, for example: if a PC has 4D in blasters skill, you should write the following to do the roll with wild die: //3D6+1D6!//
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There's also a way to program in character sheets once you set up a campaign. I'm in the process of filling one out. It take a bit to do so, and it isn't exactly super user friendly, but I have a feeling it'll be very front end heavy and once I get stuff filled out, it should be easy enough. I do wish that they had pre-made sheets and templates for D6 already, it looks like D&D 5E gets the only love for that.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Sometimes is not exactly "user friendly".

You can make macros and use them with the stats in character sheets, but I prefer to do the rolls manually. At the end of the day it is faster (I think) and more uncomplicated: you know the stats, so is easier to write the dice formula again and again than exploring all the possible macros and formulas to order the app to take the value you want in character sheet.

In fact, the only stats I have write in character sheets are the ones of PCs. I don't care about the NPCs because all their stats are usually in the adventures' books, etc... In my case it takes less time search in the book than navigating through the app.

Not perfect, but it is interesting for online RPG. One of many alternatives Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: