The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sneak Attack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Sneak Attack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Sneak Attack Reply with quote

In my game (2R&E rules) I'm trying to work out a stealthy attack by a creature on a submersible vehicle (as noted in this thread).

Rather than figuring out everything at the table, I'm trying to do a lot of the number crunching ahead of time.

I decided that this attack is happening under water within a reef formation (Moderate difficulty). At first I was going to have the creature race to the PC's vessel and attack, but I realized that doing so would require it to have to be take four actions (Sneak, Swimming, Attack, Attack).

This made it so difficult that - when it ended up failing the Swimming roll by only 4 or more - it would then be an additional -3D to all actions (so now we're -6D to everything).

So I think to make this encounter more formidable, I am going to have the creature simply lurking in the reefs, to pop out and grab their vehicle.

Surprise (p. 96) says that if the creature can get the drop on them it gets to take an action before the PCs can act.

[I think it will succeed, as it has 7D Stealth and I'm giving it a Decisive Advantage of +13 (p. 77) due to using the reef as cover for the ambush]

I'm wondering if you think I should impose a MAP (multiple action penalty) on this Sneak roll, to be applied in addition to its multiple attacks? (it will be trying to grab the craft with two tentacles as well)

Or is the Sneak roll simply to compare how hidden it is compared to the Perception of each PC?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately, you could have a Special Ability where the creature receives a +1D bonus when making an Ambush attack (seeing as how it’s the creature’s primary hunting method) that offsets the MAP.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Alternately, you could have a Special Ability where the creature receives a +1D bonus when making an Ambush attack (seeing as how it’s the creature’s primary hunting method) that offsets the MAP.

I like this.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sneak Attack Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
In my game (2R&E rules) I'm trying to work out a stealthy attack by a creature on a submersible vehicle (as noted in this thread).

Rather than figuring out everything at the table, I'm trying to do a lot of the number crunching ahead of time.

I decided that this attack is happening under water within a reef formation (Moderate difficulty). At first I was going to have the creature race to the PC's vessel and attack, but I realized that doing so would require it to have to be take four actions (Sneak, Swimming, Attack, Attack).

This made it so difficult that - when it ended up failing the Swimming roll by only 4 or more - it would then be an additional -3D to all actions (so now we're -6D to everything).

So I think to make this encounter more formidable, I am going to have the creature simply lurking in the reefs, to pop out and grab their vehicle.

Surprise (p. 96) says that if the creature can get the drop on them it gets to take an action before the PCs can act.

[I think it will succeed, as it has 7D Stealth and I'm giving it a Decisive Advantage of +13 (p. 77) due to using the reef as cover for the ambush]

I'm wondering if you think I should impose a MAP (multiple action penalty) on this Sneak roll, to be applied in addition to its multiple attacks? (it will be trying to grab the craft with two tentacles as well)

Or is the Sneak roll simply to compare how hidden it is compared to the Perception of each PC?

Is it attacking from behind? How strategic is it being?

Seems to me that if it was hiding prior to the PCs coming in range, it's sneak is not an action that it took "this round" (like, if you hide an object in your coat and later your character is searched, the hide check does not MAP your brawling check when you try to resist the search).

If its a sea creature, I see no need to make a swim check. We don't roll a movement check when charging an opponent, for example.

So, to me, it looks like only an attack roll is necessary, unless you assess MAPs for non-roll move actions beyond a certain distance, in which case, -1D is the most I see happening here.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I too like the idea of the special ability which could offset that, if needed.

And I was kind of viewing the ambush attack the same way, Naaman. It probably hid a number of rounds earlier, in an advantageous spot that would allow it to spring out with an attack.

I was looking at the Chase section for mapping the movement, but their craft is so much faster that it could quickly escape this monster. Which is why I'm keen to put them in a little jeopardy first. I think it will actually be tense, in that their only weapon is forward facing and the creature is grabbing them mostly from behind. Personal weapons will be useless, as they're trapped inside a completely covered vehicle underwater.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrestrial cephalopods have natural chameleon abilities that allow them to hide very effectively. This creature could have something similar that allows it to conceal itself against the natural background and make a lunging grapple attack when the players' vehicle strays too close.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the natural camouflage, and that's why I did a 'Decisive Advantage' +13 to its Sneak attack for purposes of this ambush.

Fortunately, I rolled well. Even getting a 1 on the Wild Die (so taking it and another 6 out of the equation) gives me a 32. Somebody's going to have to roll really well on Perception to spot this thing coming! Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what sensors, danger sense and good search rolls are for.. TO spot the ambush before it's sprung!!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's what sensors, danger sense and good search rolls are for.. TO spot the ambush before it's sprung!!

You raise a good point. I should probably build some sensors into the submersible. After all, the Mon Cala should have something to be able to deal with sneaky, nasty beasts if these things are common in their waters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: