The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Ultimate D6 Mando Sourcebook: Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The Ultimate D6 Mando Sourcebook: Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: The Ultimate D6 Mando Sourcebook: Question Reply with quote

There has been a lot of chatter, at least on the SWD6 discord server, about playing Mandalorians. Since WEG never created the stats GMs have to come up with the mechanics themselves or find a source where someone else creates the mechanics. This brings me to The Ultimate D6 Mando Sourcebook.

p.25 wrote:
Attribute Dice: 14D

Genetically Superior: Due to the harsh circumstances the Mandalorian people grew from, they are a much hardier people than most species in the galaxy. While the Mandalorians like to see this as Genetic Superiority, it is perhaps more linked to their inability to use the force, so they have had to rely on themselves more. This "superiority" gives them a bonus 6 Attribute Dice when starting play, this is already incorporated in the attribute dice figure above.

Genetically Superior is unclear. It states at character creation a mandalorian gets +6D to attributes which is included in the attribute dice.

In species write-ups Attribute Dice is the number of attribute dice used to create a typical member of that species. Is the section stating a typical mandolorian has 14D+6D? If so, why not remove the section and have Attribute Dice: 20D? Is the section incorrect? Does this mean that heroes have 26D in attribute dice at character creation?

I think the section must be incorrect and probably should have the dice part removed. Hero characters are built on 14D+6D attribute dice.

Is this correct?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that is very weird math.

If I were going to use that sourcebook for building a Mandalorian, I'd probably do it with 14D + 6D = 20D Attribute Dice as you mentioned and be done with it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Other%20Fan-Made%20Supplements/Mandalorian_Sourcebook.pdf

It seems you are talking about this document. I guess I named it more generically because it didn't seem that "ultimate" (and I may have not wanted people to think it was heavily based on the Disney+ show, because it seems to be based on EU Mandalorians).

I'm not totally sure but I think the author is in the Star Wars D6 - WEG Facebook group, so you may want to ask this question there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find the underlying assumptions of this mechanic a little awkward. Harsh conditions leading to genetic superiority is kind of a leap. Granted, the processes of natural selection and adaptive radiation are known evolutionary ideas. But I don't think there's a lot in universe to suggest that their world is 1) that especially harsh to require evolutionary adaptation or 2) that such adaptations equate to superior genetics. Are Noghri genetically superior to humans? Granted, I'd say that their physiology has advantages (which are broken in-game), but to put it in terms of supremacy is a little odd.

One way or the other, it seems like this is a good target for removal. It winds up making Mandalorians as broken if not more so than the Noghri.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me an olde schoole grump, but we already have a Mandolorian template....called the Bounty Hunter in 1E.

Now get off my lawn! Laughing Laughing Laughing
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Call me an olde schoole grump, but we already have a Mandolorian template....called the Bounty Hunter in 1E.

Hmmmm, not all bounty hunters are mandalorian, not all mandalorians are bounty hunters.

ThrorII wrote:
Now get off my lawn!

Your lawn? You call that weed infested patch of dirt a lawn? Now give me my two dollars!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very agaainst assigning "cultures" to templates in form of set attributes.
I am more in line to add story factors and occational special abilities.

Lets do the mandalorians, they can be of any race, weak and strong, slow and fast.
what do they have in common....culture.

So armor......make a cutlural armor, wear it and use it.
maybe becuse of their warrior cuture they get during cration only 2D for every 1 Placed in Blaster and blaster related skills, or any combat skill.

this is very different than saying all mandalorian have a set 4D dex, and such
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

That makes sense, and I try to generalize them too. But even if there is a culture associated with a template, it's not like it is set in stone. Templates can easily be changed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

That makes sense, and I try to generalize them too. But even if there is a culture associated with a template, it's not like it is set in stone. Templates can easily be changed.

Exactly, and that is why I personally favor things like story factors and special abilies.

now hoe to get those to fit best is another matter, as some cutures imo would warrnat something like bonues to combat skills, while others to piloting and the like.

I am inclined to say that aldreaanians, being siad to be pacifist and wealthy, they should IMO maybe not have a comabt reated bonus, but rathermaybe some boosts to communication skills and maybe even et more starting wealth.

the mandos is in the oposite specter imo as they are combat oriented.

However I am not too much in favor of giving neatives, to someone like aldreaaninans, uless it is a negative that is temrary.

I can not remember the species, but they were considered technoligically primitive, and had a -1D to all tech skills (save maybe first aid) BUT had in their story factor that this penatly was negated when the individual of the spcies was familiraized with tech.

etc etc. to me the diffent human tempaltes at least are all basically how you wnat to stat their attributes, with the main distinguishing factor being their various cultural traits.

Look at our world, a city dweller like me vs a nomadic native, the latter having much more nature related skills, and since they form infancy learn about their world and nature we could give them a bonus in WEG terms to Survival....maybe anaimal handling and riding as well, compared to the one form urban coruscant, who is and logically has been groomed into a more tech and political reality
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure if this got answered by folks or not.

Is the write-up incorrect? Should generically superior be removed and the Attribute Dice adjusted to 14D? Do people feel that is the authors intent? Not sure who posted it or how to contact them on Facebook. Suggestions appreciated.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Is the write-up incorrect? Should generically superior be removed and the Attribute Dice adjusted to 14D? Do people feel that is the authors intent? Not sure who posted it or how to contact them on Facebook. Suggestions appreciated.

Personally, I would say, get rid of it.

There is nothing genetically superior about the mandalorian culture.
Quote:

Mandalorian TV show Spoiler:
Din Djarin, for example, did not survive and get adopted because of any genetic superiority to the other people killed in his village.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

I don't know how to contact the authors, but I would be very leery of giving anyone an extra 2D of attributes.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well IMO all PCs of any species should have exactly 18D in attributes, no more, no less. Average members of species can be all over the place because all species do not evolve equally, but PCs should be game balanced.

And as I understand it, Mandalorians are a culturally defined group with adoption common and multiple species, so how could "genetically superior" even apply?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is precedence for more attribute dice being allocated to a character, I also feel it is generally a bad idea to have a race (or two) with more attribute dice to allocate.

Give them higher maximums on their attributes, or allow them to get a bonus of 1 pip for every 1D they put into a particular/distinct attribute, but still keep the attribute maximum.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who have said that they should get the same 18D as any other race or culture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: