The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Sequel Trilogy era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> The Sequel Trilogy era
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: The Sequel Trilogy era Reply with quote

So my crew is thinking of Star Wars again, but talking about the Sequel Trilogy.

Anyone have suggestions for how to run this era?

Other than, you know, ignore "The Last Jedi"?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since there's not much original in them, I think it's fairly straightforward... use the stats for TIE Fighters and Xwing and such, and move on.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of suggestions!

Have a New Republic that is fractured, resulting in the greater ability of the New Order being able to move in with such impunity.

Maybe have the group be members of the New Republic trying to fight against the New Order and yet being quite different than the Resistance.

Maybe be part of a new resistance that sprouts up under the rule of the New Order on some of the newly conquered worlds the New Order took control of.

Perhaps be part of a group that "hunted" for potential Force Users during the absence of Luke Skywalker in an attempt to have a potential cadre of Force users. So not only would that group have to be tracking down some people who may not want to be found, but also have to contend with the Knights of Ren who are out hunting down force users and killing them before they can become serious threats.

Remember that what you see the Resistance using is akin to what the Rebels used...second-hand, cobbled together, older stuff. Maybe introduce some new craft that show the advancement of the New Republic, or maybe the advancement of one planet of the New Republic (like Kuaat) with new fighters but maybe in smaller numbers, so they aren't readily available all over.

Consider what it might be like to be a scoundrel type during that time. Are crime lords gaining power, or being wiped out? Is lawlessness growing in the vacuum of power, so smugglers make a killing? Or is it where the New Republic neglects, the New Order moves in, stifling all crime?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a lot of the old material that would work really well for this era. If you have Force users then there are plenty of opportunities to find ways to grow and learn without being hunted by the Empire to such a degree. There are people who appear to have a "church of the Force," there was some implication that Mas Ameda had some ability to use the Force and so on. They may not be Jedi, but other Force traditions seemed to crop up. Playing a character trying to build some competency means that they might be able to learn bits and pieces of things here and there rather than an "all or nothing" holocron or Jedi teacher.

Opposing the First Order is easy enough. You could be a small rag-tag team gathered from the shambled of the New Republic. You can use a lot of the same ideas of the Rebel cell groups from WEG's adventures.

As the New Order is rising and the Republic is falling there is bound to be a lot of local power vacuums. Crime lords can ascend and give players local powers to fight against if you don't want to go galactic with the struggle.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's already a section of the forum that covers this, but I have a question about the Sequel era. I am not a fan of the Disney choices with the sequels, and have been interested to learn the bits and pieces of information leaking out about GL's treatments for the sequels. To me, based on the info leaked so far, it seems more compelling, and makes more sense. The Empire was actually defeated, Maul and his "Jedi Killer" assistant are the main antagonists leading a crime organization taking advantage of the fall of the Empire. Luke is building the Jedi Order instead of "harvesting" green milk from sea cows. Han and Leia don't have a Vader-impersonating son that doesn't look like either of them. I could go on... Smile

Anyways, has anybody been working on compiling the info on GL's sequel treatments and trying to set up a RPG sourcebook or something along those lines? I think it could be such a rich setting for campaigns - an opportunity to have force-sensitive players being trained by Luke, working to reestablish the Republic, fighting against Maul's criminal syndicate, and dealing with the aftermath of the fallen Empire. I know the Whills stuff sounds kind of weird, but I think it could be handled abstractly, kind of along the lines of Yoda's force journeys in the final part of the 6th Season of The Clone Wars animated series, where Luke might be forced to leave for significant amounts of time ala Gandalf-style to deal with higher matters of the force, while the PCs are forced (pun intended) to deal with Maul and his forces (again, intended).

Is anyone doing something along those lines, by chance? I hope so!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lucas' Sequel Trilogy Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Maybe there's already a section of the forum that covers this, but I have a question about the Sequel era. I am not a fan of the Disney choices with the sequels, and have been interested to learn the bits and pieces of information leaking out about GL's treatments for the sequels. To me, based on the info leaked so far, it seems more compelling, and makes more sense. The Empire was actually defeated, Maul and his "Jedi Killer" assistant are the main antagonists leading a crime organization taking advantage of the fall of the Empire. Luke is building the Jedi Order instead of "harvesting" green milk from sea cows. Han and Leia don't have a Vader-impersonating son that doesn't look like either of them. I could go on... Smile

Anyways, has anybody been working on compiling the info on GL's sequel treatments and trying to set up a RPG sourcebook or something along those lines? I think it could be such a rich setting for campaigns - an opportunity to have force-sensitive players being trained by Luke, working to reestablish the Republic, fighting against Maul's criminal syndicate, and dealing with the aftermath of the fallen Empire. I know the Whills stuff sounds kind of weird, but I think it could be handled abstractly, kind of along the lines of Yoda's force journeys in the final part of the 6th Season of The Clone Wars animated series, where Luke might be forced to leave for significant amounts of time ala Gandalf-style to deal with higher matters of the force, while the PCs are forced (pun intended) to deal with Maul and his forces (again, intended).

Is anyone doing something along those lines, by chance? I hope so!

No, there is no designated place to talk about this other than the General Star Wars forum. Talking about Lucas' ideas for a sequel trilogy as a setting for the RPG is fine in the settings category.

I haven't heard about any "leaks" though they may exist. The main official source on this Lucas "sequel trilogy" is from the published bts book, The Star Wars Archives 1999–2005 which was released in December and is currently $162 on Amazon. This is the second book, the first of which was about the classic trilogy. It was similarly priced, so I passed on both of these books. But simultaneous with the PT book's release was a small version of the CT book which I picked up for cheap and mentioned here. The small version is amazing, so I will definitely pick up the cheap version of this PT book if they make one. These books include old interviews with Lucas and others, and new interviews with Lucas. I've read a couple descriptions of the new PT book.

Lucas first wrote ideas for a sequel trilogy down in the late 70s, but that plot was severely altered when he decided that RotJ would be the chronological ending his saga during early pre-production of RotJ in 1980. In his original story, the Emperor would not even appear in RotJ because he would not be defeated until the final defeat of the Empire in Episode IV. And Luke's long-lost sister was originally not Leia but instead a new character that would not appear until the sequel trilogy.

The current version of Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas were written down when he was making Lucasfilm as attractive as possible for Disney to buy. I do think he got out his 70s notes, updated them with respect to the changed plot of RotJ, and added Maul and updated it with respect the franchise prequels and TCW. I think it is important to point out for this topic that Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas at either point were not made in conjunction with the story of the film saga as-is (because as I've pointed out elsewhere, post-RotS Lucas is very different than up-to-RotS Lucas).

All that being said, I do like some of Lucas' "sequel trilogy" ideas I've seen. I fully embraced Maul's return in my SWU after disregarding the DT, but I have Maul going to Unknown Regions and uniting it as an empire. (My two other post-Palpatine empires are lead by other legacies of Palpatine.) Lucas included sequel trilogy story treatments in the deal to sweeten the pot for Disney, but they were under no obligation to use them and mostly (but perhaps not completely) disregarded them.

As to your idea about an RPG sourcebook devoted to Lucas' ideas for a sequel trilogy, no one has discussed here about making that and I haven't heard about anyone doing that outside of the Pit, so if you want to take the lead on that then go for it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lucas' Sequel Trilogy Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

No, there is no designated place to talk about this other than the General Star Wars forum. Talking about Lucas' ideas for a sequel trilogy as a setting for the RPG is fine in the settings category.

I haven't heard about any "leaks" though they may exist. The main official source on this Lucas "sequel trilogy" is from the published bts book, The Star Wars Archives 1999–2005 which was released in December and is currently $162 on Amazon. This is the second book, the first of which was about the classic trilogy. It was similarly priced, so I passed on both of these books. But simultaneous with the PT book's release was a small version of the CT book which I picked up for cheap and mentioned here. The small version is amazing, so I will definitely pick up the cheap version of this PT book if they make one. These books include old interviews with Lucas and others, and new interviews with Lucas. I've read a couple descriptions of the new PT book.

Lucas first wrote ideas for a sequel trilogy down in the late 70s, but that plot was severely altered when he decided that RotJ would be the chronological ending his saga during early pre-production of RotJ in 1980. In his original story, the Emperor would not even appear in RotJ because he would not be defeated until the final defeat of the Empire in Episode IV. And Luke's long-lost sister was originally not Leia but instead a new character that would not appear until the sequel trilogy.

The current version of Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas were written down when he was making Lucasfilm as attractive as possible for Disney to buy. I do think he got out his 70s notes, updated them with respect to the changed plot of RotJ, and added Maul and updated it with respect the franchise prequels and TCW. I think it is important to point out for this topic that Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas at either point were not made in conjunction with the story of the film saga as-is (because as I've pointed out elsewhere, post-RotS Lucas is very different than up-to-RotS Lucas).

All that being said, I do like some of Lucas' "sequel trilogy" ideas I've seen. I fully embraced Maul's return in my SWU after disregarding the DT, but I have Maul going to Unknown Regions and uniting it as an empire. (My two other post-Palpatine empires are lead by other legacies of Palpatine.) Lucas included sequel trilogy story treatments in the deal to sweeten the pot for Disney, but they were under no obligation to use them and mostly (but perhaps not completely) disregarded them.

As to your idea about an RPG sourcebook devoted to Lucas' ideas for a sequel trilogy, no one has discussed here about making that and I haven't heard about anyone doing that outside of the Pit, so if you want to take the lead on that then go for it!

Thanks for all your comments, Whill - I'd like to respond more fully shortly, but first I would like to apologize for my earlier characterization of the Sequel trilogy as released by Disney. While I am definitely not a fan of Episodes VII through IX as they appeared on the screen, I thought they assembled an excellent group of actors, and had some great and talented people involved in the production. For those folks who really enjoyed the films, I may disagree with you, but I definitely respect your opinion. There's plenty of room for different points of view in the SWU. Smile

That said, I wonder if it might make more sense to create a separate thread focusing on the GL Prequel treatment, and leave this thread for folks who would like it to focus on the existing Disney trilogy. I would like to respond to your earlier message, Whill - I agree with most of your citations and characterizations, but have a few different sources and takes on some items. Lots of fun things to discuss!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that another thread would be better to talk about Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas. If you want to include in the topic discussion of a post-RotJ setting for the game based on these ideas (with or without discussion of a possible fan sourcebook), then this Eras and Settings forum category would be best for the new thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what other info you have!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: