The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Credits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Credits Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
In my last Star Wars game, I developed a 'lifestyle' cost. Every character had to buy in to one, even if it was 'Destitute' for 0 cr.
It distinguished at what level they were living at, from poverty to incredible luxury.

I'll try to find it and share if interested.

Is that based on what planet they're on? Or what starsystem/sector they are in??
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
In my last Star Wars game, I developed a 'lifestyle' cost. Every character had to buy in to one, even if it was 'Destitute' for 0 cr.
It distinguished at what level they were living at, from poverty to incredible luxury.

I'll try to find it and share if interested.

Is that based on what planet they're on? Or what starsystem/sector they are in??

No. It's a loose system that takes the galaxy at large as a single cultural entity. I figure that unless you're on a primitive planet out of touch with the rest, like the forest moon of Endor, you have a pretty good idea where you sit financially on the spectrum ranging from begging for scraps in a Tatooine alley to dining in luxury on a Coruscanti skyhook palace.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so fair warning....it's a little crunchy...and meshed in with a bunch of other house rules that it won't make total sense without.

But it'll give the gist.

This was done with my mandalorian-themed characters in mind.

--------------------------------------
Quality of Life / Shereshoy

Lifestyles: (Accounts for food, personal upkeep and incidentals)
1. Select the Lifestyle level your character tries to live at whenever able.

2a Make sure you meet any requirements
2b. Select lodging if applicable: what kind of house/dwelling you usually have.
3. Add up all the shereshoy points of all applicable selections.
4. Compare the shereshoy points to the conversion table to get your Quality of Life/ Shereshoy pool. (how many dice you can use to add to rolls while playing the game.)
5. Make note of Other effects; ie add the health issues to your character’s event chart.
6. Add up all the costs. This is what your character has to pay each month to keep that Quality of Life dice pool.

Main categories:

Destitute
The character chooses to spend no money on living or has none to spend. He lives on whatever scraps of food can be scrounged from theft, dumpster diving or the donation of others.
Rarely has bathing opportunities, clothing is worn and ragged and equipment is not well kept.
He sleeps in the streets.
Cost: 0cr per month.
Requirements: none.
Shereshoy points: 0
Other effects:
-3D to all Vice code rolls.
Add 3 health issues to the character’s vice event chart.

Drifter/ Wildman
The character spends very little money on personal upkeep.
Chooses to sleep in the wild whenever possible, or finds cheap/ free shelter from what is available in civilized areas. Usually eats what he can catch or subsists on dried/ preserved foods.
Cost: 80cr per month
Requirements: none
Shereshoy points: Streetwise skill. (average roll)
Other effects:
Add 3 heath issues to the character’s Event chart.

Nomad
The character spends a minimal amount of money on personal upkeep and lives on the move.
Cost: 200cr per month
Requirements:
Shereshoy points: 4
Other effects:
Add 3 health issues to the character’s Eventchart.

Poverty
The character spends a small amount of money on food and lodging. They are not comfortable in life, and sometimes miss meals but don’t usually lack necessities.
Cost: 800cr per month
Requirements:
Shereshoy points: 8
Other effects:
Add 3 health issues to the character’s Eventchart.

Lower Class lifestyle
The character spends an adequate money on food, upkeep and incidentals.
Averaging 12cr meals with the occasional drink. Takes time to wash up daily and typically bathes once a week. New clothing is rare.
Cost: 1,200cr per month
Requirements: Minimal Lodging or better
Shereshoy points: 12
Other effects:
Add 2 health issues to the character’s Eventchart.
Lower Middle Class
The character gets regular meals and personal maintenance at a comfortable level.
Averaging 18cr meals. Clothing is replaced when it gets worn out. Likely owns one decent outfit.

Cost: 2,000cr per month
Requirements: Minimal Lodging or better
Shereshoy points: 20
Other effects:
Add 2 health issues to the character’s Eventchart.

Middle Class
The character eats well and lives comfortably, averaging 25cr meals with semi regular indulgences like drinks, candy, cigars etc. Clothing is kept functional with new clothes of modest cost on a regular basis. Likely owns two or three decent outfits.
Cost: 3,000cr per month
Requirements: Low rent Lodging or better
Shereshoy points: 25
Other effects:
Add 1 health issue to the character’s Eventchart.

Upper Middle Class
The character eats well and lives well, without being considered wealthy. The lifestyle cost includes regular indulgences like expensive meals, gifts for friends and family and regular entertainment.
Cost: 5,000cr per month
Requirements: Basic Lodging or better
Shereshoy points: 30
Other effects:
Add 1 health issue to the character’s vice event chart.
Upper class
The character lives a very comfortable life and is used to indulging on extras.
Cost: 8,000cr per month
Requirements: Good Lodging or better
Shereshoy points: 40
Other effects:

High society
The character has regular access to the best food, fine accommodations and luxury at will.
Cost: 25, 000cr per month
Requirements: Very good Lodgingor better
Shereshoy points: 50
Other effects:

Elite society
The character lives as if he were among the wealthiest of beings in the galaxy.
Cost: 50, 000cr per month
Requirements: Great Lodging
Shereshoy points: 60
Other effects:

Lifestyle modifiers:

Mated Relationship
Character is in a fulfilling relationship:
Cost: 100cr per month.
Requirements: A significant other character or NPC.
Shereshoy points: 10

Married Relationship
Character is in a formal and binding relationship that is deemed fulfilling.
Cost: 150cr per month
Requirements: A significant other character or NPC.
Shereshoy points: 15

Cuisine
Character is a good cook, or has one in his household that regularly makes favourite meals and desirable dishes.
Cost: 500cr per month per die of cooking skill.
Requirements: Someone with decent cooking skill.
Shereshoy points: Cooking skill (Average roll)
Children:
The character has the benefit of children in their life.
Cost: 100cr per child.
Requirements: Children and time spent on raising them.
Shereshoy points: 5 per child.

Belonging to a clan:
The character is accepted and identifies with a known clan.
Cost: Dues arrangement
Shereshoy points: 5 as an associate. 10 as a prospect. 15 as a voting member. 20 as a senior member. 25 as a office holding/ranking member.

Lodging:
What kind of home your character has. Even if he’s away from it often.

****Ship:
For characters who list a space ship as their primary lodging;
For ship lodging; there is 1/4 cost for accommodation if the character owns the ship or the owner waives payment. The remainder still covers personal effects and any lodging expenditures for time off the ship.

Homeless:
The character pays for no accommodation. He carries all of his possessions on his person and sleeps on the street or in the open, perhaps wrapped in a blanker or tarp.
Requirement: N/A
Cost: 0 cr per month
Shereshoy points: 0

Camper:
The character has access to a personal portable shelter, such as a tent and sleeping bag. Some incidental cost for repairs, cleaning, heating and cooking fuel.
Requirement: Tent or shelter.
Cost: 25cr per month.
Shereshoy points: Equal to Survival skill (average roll)

Vheh’yaim
Traditional mandalorian home, made of woven foliage and insulated with daubed mud. The range of quality and comfort can vary greatly.
Requirement: Build Vheh’yaim talent-technique.
Cost: 50 cr per month. (subtract Economics skill (average roll) if a resident has the Home and Hearth talent-technique)
Shereshoy points: Equal to construction skill (average roll) + Mandalorian culture skill (average roll)
Minimal Lodging:
The character pays to stay in minimal lodgings such as a dirt cheap motel, or covers the cost of minimal accommodation on a space transport; such as sleeping in the hold, corridor or engine room.
Cost: 1200cr per month
Shereshoy points: 3 or ship upholstery rating x0.25

Low rent lodging:
The character pays to stay in a low class hotel, or covers the cost of poor accommodation on a transport, such as a bunk.
Cost: 3000cr per month
Shereshoy points: 5 or ship upholstery rating x0.5

Basic lodging:
The character pays to stay in a basic apartment, a decent hotel or covers the cost of good accommodation on a space transport, such as a double state room on a high level ship or a personal room on a lower rated ship.
Cost: 4,500cr per month
Shereshoy points: 8 or ship upholstery rating x1.0

Good lodging:
The character pays to stay in a very nice apartment, a low quality house, or very good accommodation on a space transport, such as a captains room on a low level ship, a double room on a mid level ship, or a bunk on a high level ship.
Cost: 6000cr per month
Shereshoy points: 12 or ship upholstery rating x1.5 (Minimal rating of D6)

Very Good lodging:
The character pays to stay in a luxury apartment, a good quality house, or an excellent accommodation on a space transport.
Cost: 9000cr per month
Shereshoy points: 16 or ship upholstery rating x2.0 (minimal rating of D8)

Great Lodging:
The character pays to stay in a mansion or very high end accommodation on a space transport.
Cost: 15,000cr per month
Shereshoy points: 20 or ship upholstery rating x2.5 (minimal rating D10)

Clan Compound
Members of a mandalorian clan will have a compound. This typically counts as good lodging and middle class living;
When at the compound, reduce the character’s lifestyle and lodging costs by 9000cr per month to a minimum of 0.

The clan can take measures to raise or lower this value.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ten thousand. All in advance."
"Ten thousand! We could almost buy our own ship for that!"
"We can pay you two thousand now, plus... fifteen, when we get to Alderaan."

"Seventeen thousand! Those guys must really be desperate. This could really save my neck."
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dredwulf!

I'm going to do a deeper dive into this and read it over more thoroughly as I consider how to handle this.

I'm also considering coming up with a Wealth stat or Lifestyle rating, which could be rated in X number of D.

In other words:

Begging for scraps in a Tatooine alley: 0D

Dining in luxury on a Coruscanti skyhook palace: 7D

Then when a character wants to buy an exotic weapon or buy back in at the sabacc table, they could just roll this value (though they could bargain the price down, potentially, too, when buying goods).
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks, Dredwulf!

I'm going to do a deeper dive into this and read it over more thoroughly as I consider how to handle this.

I'm also considering coming up with a Wealth stat or Lifestyle rating, which could be rated in X number of D.

In other words:

Begging for scraps in a Tatooine alley: 0D

Dining in luxury on a Coruscanti skyhook palace: 7D

Then when a character wants to buy an exotic weapon or buy back in at the sabacc table, they could just roll this value (though they could bargain the price down, potentially, too, when buying goods).

I have something like that too!
I posted it at some point...just can't recall where.

In the above system, The better lifestyle you have, the higher 'Shereshoy' dice you get. Which is basically a dice code for 'the good life'.

I treat it as a kind of renewable Character point fund you can roll to augment your rolls.
Your lifestyle dictates you maximum dice rating...but when you spend the dice, you recharge it by partaking on 'fun'.
I call it vices because drinking, fornicating and illegal spices are on the list. But so are more wholesome pastimes. Basically whatever the character decides that he or she really likes doing, besides their usual work.

When they get recreation time, they can recharge their 'good life' batteries.
Having lots of disposable income gives you the opportunity to live your 'best life'.

Smile
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different lifestyles appeals to me, but, then again, I'm the "Lifestyle Guy" in Shadowrun, so of course it would.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
The different lifestyles appeals to me, but, then again, I'm the "Lifestyle Guy" in Shadowrun, so of course it would.

In the few games i ran of shadowrun 2e back in the day, i was shocked how many of the players opted for a real LOW lifestyle...
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts book, a New Republic Scout gets about 500 Credits a month, plus bonuses for uninhabited planets. Bonus as low as 1,000 credits to up to 10% of the value of the planet.

It is mentioned that scouting isn't real common, and done mostly for those that don't want to be pinned down somewhere, so the pay isn't very high.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ray wrote:

In the few games i ran of shadowrun 2e back in the day, i was shocked how many of the players opted for a real LOW lifestyle...

In 2e, especially, there was little drawback to picking a lower lifestyle... living Low meant that you had more money for gear and 'ware.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Most players didn't see any downsides to that low lifestyle, so didn't bother with anything else.. Just like some groups in adnd 2e, went with a 'nomad' lifestyle, so they didn't have to worry about the living costs.. AND dms never hit them ON that.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Exactly. Most players didn't see any downsides to that low lifestyle, so didn't bother with anything else.. Just like some groups in adnd 2e, went with a 'nomad' lifestyle, so they didn't have to worry about the living costs.. AND dms never hit them ON that.

Which is why in my lifestyle write-ups, lower lifestyle has a slightly higher chance of contracting diseases.

(In addition to having potentially more dice to augment rolls for a higher lifestyle)

The disease chances served two purposes; an incentive to live at a higher, healthier lifestyle and to give a reason to have medical training and med droids beyond physical injuries.

If no one ever gets the Star-Flu or a case of the Corellian Shakes then a doctor on board is just someone to administer the medpacs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: