The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Life Path Draft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Life Path Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Life Path Draft Reply with quote

Someone asked on FB, so I banged this out:

So, we start by putting 1D in all six attributes. That leaves us with 12 dice to divide between the attribute, and 7 dice for skills.

The breakdown will be
Upbringing: 6D in Attributes, 1D in skills
Education: 4D in Attributes, 2D in skills
Early Career: 2D in Attributes, 4D in Skills.

Now, your choices may make your attributes fail to meet species minimums. That's tough luck, unless some of your choices cause an attribute to exceed species maximum. Any pips or dice which exceed species maximums must be applied to any attribute failing to meet minimums, or wherever you like, if your species minimums have been met.

Likewise, choices may exceed the 2D limit. In that case, you may apply them to other skills, or use them to acquire specializations.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for an example, let's look at a Tattooine Moisture Farmer.

*His Upbringing we'll call "Outer Rim". Living on the Outer Rim means you need to be tough, sharp, and quick. We'll say 1D+1 to Perception, Dex, and Strength, and +1 to Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical. For your 1D skill? Stamina.
Dex 2D+1, Kno 1D+1, Mech 1D+1, Per 2D+1, Str 2D+1 (stamina 3D+1), Technical 1D+1

*Education is going to be "Rural". That gives +1D to Str, Mech, and Tech... gotta be able to use machines, fix machines, and move machines. The other 1D is going to get divided between Knowledge, Perception, and Dexterity. 2 skill dice will be 1D Blaster and 1D Repulsorlift operation
Dex 2D+2 (blaster 3D+2), Kno 1D+2, Mech 2D+1 (Repulsorlift 3D+1), Per 2D+2, Str 3D+1 (stamina 3D+1), Technical 2D+1

*Now, he takes a left turn. His Early Career is Jedi. His Attributes are 1D in Control and Sense, and he gets 1D in Lightsaber, Starfighter Piloting, Starship Weapons, and Control.
Dex 2D+2 (blaster 3D+2, Lightsaber 3D+2), Kno 1D+2, Mech 2D+1 (Repulsorlift 3D+1, Starfighter Piloting 3D+1, Starship Weapons 3D+1), Per 2D+2, Str 3D+1 (stamina 3D+1), Technical 2D+1, Control 2D, Sense 1D

Now, each of these stages should probably be accompanied by some equipment... growing up on the Outer Rim probably netted him some omnioculars, his rural education would give him a blaster rifle, and his Jedi training would pick up a lightsaber.

These numbers provide a framework to go from, but a good life path system requires choices... you'd need things like "Core Worlds" and "Noble" or "Kashyyyk" as possible Upbringings, and "Thief" or "Prep School" or "Tribal Warrior" for education. And, of course, the GM has to decide if you can do wild changes... like can you go from Noble to Tribal Warrior to Jedi?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a lot of gamers really loving something like this. Thanks for sharing this. Please add to it or expand it as inspired.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work up..
What would it look like, say for someone raised in hutt space, who fled and joined say the imperial navy?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice work up..
What would it look like, say for someone raised in hutt space, who fled and joined say the imperial navy?

That's the beauty of a Life Path system... it provides a framework for things like that.

So, let's work this out.

Upbringing: Hutt Space
Education: Speeder Thief
Early Career: Imperial Navy Crewman (which would be different than fighter pilot)

Hutt Space is likely going to be 1D+1 in Dexterity, Perception, and Strength, and +1 in Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical. For my 1D in skill, we're gonna say +1 in Brawling, Brawling Parry, and Pick Pocket. I know the attribute spread is the same as Outer Rim, but I see the rationale as the same for the two. It's not necessary to touch all attributes with this... I could see a strong argument for not giving a knowledge boost... but I like the spread, and it keeps the character more or less balanced.

Dex 2D+1 (Brawling Parry 2D+2, Pick Pocket 2D+2), Kno 1D+1, Mech 1D+1, Per 2D+1, Str 2D+1 (Brawling 2D+2), Technical 1D+1

Equipment: Sporting Blaster

You didn't specify education, so I'm going with him having been a Criminal... specifically, stealing speeders. That's gonna be +2D in Mechanical, +1D in Technical, and +1D in Perception. He's going to get +2 on Repulsorlift Operation, +2 Streetwise, +1 in Bargain and Security

Dex 2D+1 (Brawling Parry 2D+2, Pick Pocket 2D+2), Kno 1D+1 (Streetwise 2D), Mech 3D+1 (Repulsorlift Operation 4D), Per 3D+1 (Bargain 3D+2), Str 2D+1 (Brawling 2D+2), Technical 2D+1 (Security 2D+2)

Equipment: Nightfalcon Speeder Bike

Lastly, he signs up for a stint in the Imperial Navy. He's not a fighter pilot, but one of the poor b@st@rd* keeping a Star Destroyer running. He gets 1D in Knowledge and 1D in Technical... the Navy taught him a bit, and then taught him to not break s***. For skills, he's got 1D in Blaster, 2D in Capital Ship Repair, and 1D in Sensors... basic training, plus specific training in his MOS.

Dex 2D+1 (Blaster 3D+1, Brawling Parry 2D+2, Pick Pocket 2D+2), Kno 2D+1 (Streetwise 2D), Mech 3D+1 (Repulsorlift Operation 4D, Sensors 3D+1), Per 3D+1 (Bargain 3D+2), Str 2D+1 (Brawling 2D+2), Technical 3D+1 (Capital Ship Repair 5D+1, Security 2D+2)

Equipment: Blast Helmet, Blaster Pistol

Now, he's got two blasters. If he doesn't want one, let him sell it for the cost. I'd also toss in a measure of cash for every character, say, 250 credits, to buy equipment or have on hand.

I need to standardize a bit the equipment distribution... set up something like a cost structure, so you can't pick and choose the neatest stuff, but this is a work in progress.

Another aspect of this is that it is a framework in line with the rules, so if you don't want a particular skill (say, you want Melee Combat and Melee Parry instead of Brawling), it is simple to swap them out. A framework for building a history and making relatively organic characters without a strict template, not a straightjacket where everyone is the same.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice... Thumbs Up
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's my consolidated thoughts, including equipment:

Step 1) 1D in all attributes
Step 2) Upbringing: 6D in Attributes, 1D in skills. Equipment: Something cheap but useful. May include weapons or tools. Example: Sporting Blaster, Survival Pack, Medkit

Step 3) Education: 4D in Attributes, 2D in skills. Equipment: Something relatively expensive; good armor, a speeder bike, a droid, a heavily leveraged space ship.

Step 4) Early Career: 2D in Attributes, 4D in Skills. Equipment: Something useful, frequently a weapon.

Step 5) Buy and Sell equipment. Take 250cr as a base. Sell redundant background equipment for 100% of book price.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on this, it becomes SO MUCH easier if "Force" is an attribute, and the Force Skills are Skills.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Life Path Character Creation System

Step 1) 1D in all attributes
Step 2) Upbringing: 6D in Attributes, 1D in skills. Equipment: Something cheap but useful. May include weapons or tools. Example: Sporting Blaster, Survival Pack, Medkit
Step 3) Education: 4D in Attributes, 2D in skills. Equipment: Something relatively expensive; good armor, a speeder bike, a droid, a heavily leveraged space ship.
Step 4) Early Career: 2D in Attributes, 4D in Skills. Equipment: Something useful, frequently a weapon.
Step 5) Buy and Sell equipment. Take 250cr as a base. Sell redundant background equipment for 100% of book price.

Now, your choices may make your attributes fail to meet species minimums. That's tough luck, unless some of your choices cause an attribute to exceed species maximum. Any pips or dice which exceed species maximums must be applied to any attribute failing to meet minimums, or wherever you like, if your species minimums have been met. Likewise, choices may exceed the 2D skill limit. In that case, you may apply them to other skills, or use them to acquire specializations.

Some samples are below; more will be added as I get the time and inclination.

Upbringing

Hutt Space
*1D+1 in Dexterity, Perception, and Strength, and +1 in Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical.
*+1 in Brawling, Brawling Parry, and Pick Pocket.
*Equipment: Knife, 100cr

Jedi Youngling
*1D Knowledge, Perception, Dex. 1D Control. +2 Mechanical, Technical, Strength
*1D Willpower
*Equipment: Medpac

Outer Rim
*1D+1 to Perception, Dex, and Strength, and +1 to Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical.
*1D Stamina
*Equipment: Macrobinoculars, Knife

Education
Jedi Padawan
*+1D Dexterity, Knowledge. 1D Sense. +1 Strength, Perception, Mechanical
*1D Lightsaber, 1D Control
*Equipment: Lightsaber, astromech or protocol droid

Rural
*+1D to Str, Mech, and Tech, +1 to Knowledge, Perception, Dexterity
*+1D Blaster, 1D Repulsorlift operation
*Equipment: Sporting Blaster Rifle, Landspeeder or Speeder Bike

Speeder Thief
*+2D in Mechanical, +1D in Technical, and +1D in Perception
*+2 on Repulsorlift Operation, +2 Streetwise, +1 in Bargain and Security
*Equipment: Blaster Pistol or Hold-out Blaster, Speeder Bike

Early Career
Imperial Navy Crewman
*1D in Knowledge, 1D in Technical
*1D in Blaster, 2D in Capital Ship Repair, and 1D in Sensors
*Equipment: Commlink, Blaster Pistol, Imperial Uniform, Blast Helmet

Jedi Knight
*1D Alter, +1 Strength, Knowledge, Perception
*1D Lightsaber, Sense, Alter, Control
*Equipment: Lightsaber

Late-blooming Jedi
*1D in Control and Sense
*1D in Lightsaber, Starfighter Piloting, Starship Weapons, and Control.
*Equipment: Lightsaber (or 1000cr)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxXPtXZ2RkB90UYlaxRoIsgVyR3VgaD3j8XQkgLMXFU/edit?usp=sharing

Current document
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: