The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SD-K4 Assassin Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> SD-K4 Assassin Droid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: SD-K4 Assassin Droid Reply with quote

Another write-up and stats for the SD-K4 Assassin Droid from The Clone Wars season 2 episode 213 "Voyage of Temptation". Still not 100% happy with these stats. They feel sort of clunk, especially the swarm mechanics for the smaller SD-K4a's. What do you think? Suggestions?

Quote:

SD-K4 Assassin Droid
A fourth class droid, the SD-K4 assassin droid manufactured by Baktoid Combat Automata was designed to assassinate targets with high efficiency. Spider-like droids programmed for quiet killing, assassin probes moved quietly on eight razored legs they could use to lurk silently in for the kill. They were equipped with multiple red photoreceptors for scanning their surroundings. If cornered or destroyed, an SD-K4 could release thirty smaller SD-K4a mini-assassin droids from pores on its head to finish any job the assassin probe started.

SD-K4 Assassin Droid
Type: Baktoid Combat Automata SD-K4 Assassin Droid
DEXTERITY 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D
Tactics 3D
MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 3D+2, sneak 5D
STRENGTH 5D+2
Brawling 7D+1, climbing/jumping 7D, lifting 5D+2
TECHNICAL 1D
Equipped With:
-- Photoreceptor (infrared, can see in the dark up to 30 meters)
-- 360 degrees vision
-- Auditory sensors
-- 8 Razored retractable magnetized arms (STR+1D, max: 6D; +3D climbing)
-- Improved sensor package (+2 to all search rolls, infrared vision)
-- Motion sensors (+1D to search for moving targets)
-- Sonic sensors (+1D to search rolls involving sound)
-- Locked access (The droid’s shut-down switch is secured or internally located)
-30 SD-K4a mini-assaasin droids
Size: 1.21 meters tall
Move: 10 walking, 10 climbing

SD-K4 Mini-Assassin Droids
Tiny, 0.14 meter-wide, six-legged droids, SD-K4a mini-assassin droids manufactured by Baktoid Combat Automata used their speed to avoid blaster fire, and while they did not possess the power of the "parent" assassin droid, however, if they could enter a target's armor, they were capable of killing said target with their sharp legs. A single assassin produced in excess of thirty killers, which swarmed together in order to overcome larger opponents.

SD-K4a Mini-Assassin Droids
Type: Baktoid Combat Automata SD-K4a Mini-Assassin Droids
DEXTERITY 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D
MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 3D+2
STRENGTH 1D
Climbing/jumping 7D
TECHNICAL 2D
Equipped With:
-- Photoreceptor (infrared, can see in the dark up to 30 meters)
-- Auditory sensors
-- 6 Razored retractable magnetized arms (STR+1D, max: 6D; +3D climbing)
-- Improved sensor package (+2 to all search rolls, infrared vision)
-- Motion sensors (+1D to search for moving targets)
-- Sonic sensors (+1D to search rolls involving sound)
-- Locked access (The droid’s shut-down switch is secured or internally located)
Size: 0.14 meters wide
Move: 10 walking, 10 climbing
Game Notes: Though a SD-K4a can attack on its own, but is more effective as a swarm of 10 droids. Treat the swarm as a single creature, when reduced to Incapacitated (or worse), it is no longer effective. When the swarm closes to point blank range with a target it automatically hits doing damage every round, armor offers no protection. The swarm has Strength 2D, +1 pip for every droid every round. For example, a swarm of 10 droids would do 5D+1. SD-K4a swarms take half damage from attacks.

Appearances: SW:TCW 213 "Voyage of Temptation"

Sources: Stats by Emperor Ollie

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are really blasting these out dude Smile

This droid is probably my favourite one in the entire CW run, that episode was really creepy and the end bit on the ship is so great.

On the swarm thing, is there an existing set of swarm rules from creatures that you could make use of?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Wow, you are really blasting these out dude Smile

Yeah I have been referred to as a beast when I get started on a project.

Xain Arke wrote:
On the swarm thing, is there an existing set of swarm rules from creatures that you could make use of?

Yes and I adapted those to the mini-assassin droids =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you probably would have used existing rules set for swarms Smile. I was just pondering in reference to your not being happy with the swarm rules.

What is it that you're not satisfied about with them?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
What is it that you're not satisfied about with them?

Just seems crunchy. Maybe I just need to run a scene with a swarm in it and make a decision on that instead of supposition.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest making the mini-droids smaller in Scale, then applying coordination bonus dice when they work together as a swarm.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I would suggest making the mini-droids smaller in Scale, then applying coordination bonus dice when they work together as a swarm.

Per RAW there is nothing smaller than character scale. They or 0.14 meters across, 14 centimeters, a +1D difficulty to target. For an individual mini-assassin droid I could absolutely see this, but how does that make sense when targeting a swarm?

Coordination bonus? I do not understand. They work as a swarm with a set attack value and damage generated by how many are in a swarm.

Could you give some concrete mechanics of what you are suggestion? Or at the very least give more information on what you mean?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Per RAW there is nothing smaller than character scale.

There very nearly is, though. The Called Shot rules use the same mechanics as 2R&E Scale, just without the Damage modifier. WEG had the opportunity to make a unified rule by folding the Called Shot rules into the overall Scale system (which I did here), but they didn't, because... WEG.

Quote:
They or 0.14 meters across, 14 centimeters, a +1D difficulty to target. For an individual mini-assassin droid I could absolutely see this, but how does that make sense when targeting a swarm?

There are parallels between a starfighter squadron and a swarm. A while back, I posted rules for treating starfighter squadrons as single units, most of which is applicable to a swarm, just on a smaller scale.

Quote:
Coordination bonus? I do not understand. They work as a swarm with a set attack value and damage generated by how many are in a swarm.

Essentially this, but applied from the opposite direction. Start with the basic stats of the individual droids in the swarm, then use the number of droids in the swarm to generate a bonus (the x2 = +1D Method is my preference), which is then applied to either the Attack or Damage value, and inversely applied to the Damage resistance or difficulty to hit, depending on what the swarm is doing. A swarm combining its units to attack a single target will be clustered more closely together and thus easier to hit, while a dispersed swarm won't be able to inflict as much damage, but individual hits will be less likely to damage multiple components of the swarm.

I realize the x2 = +1D method isn't canon, but I have presented it to Frank Bonura, who got very excited when he realized it matched up with a running theme in the detailed stat compilation spreadsheet he's working on.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your rules are fine as is, shootingwomprats. They may be a bit of a mouthful, but they're clear and pretty concise.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I think your rules are fine as is, shootingwomprats. They may be a bit of a mouthful, but they're clear and pretty concise.

Thank you Raven, the egoboo is appreciated =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is more with the RAW as a whole, how it's a patchwork of different, often contradictory rules used in an attempt to achieve similar effects without any real regard for how it all combines. Look at how many different attempts have been made for repeating blaster weapons.

There should be one comprehensive rule dealing with how combat is modified between larger and smaller opponents, and there should be one rule as to how multiple units (droids, in this case) can combine their efforts to produce a greater effect. Default adherence to the RAW without addressing its underlying shortcomings simply compounds the larger problem of chaotic, confusing system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: