The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian - SPOILERS Allowed / Spinoff Speculation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian - SPOILERS Allowed / Spinoff Speculation Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 2003
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
That's a nice photoshop job. Who is that supposed to be? Napoleon?


"If you set out to take Hoth, take Hoth," Or "Why the Empire totally could have won the Galactic Civil War at Hoth, but ultimately screwed it up," by Napoleon Bonaparte. Very Happy


Which is worse: Hoth in summer or Russia in winter?
_________________
"I've Seen Your Daily Routine. You Are Not Busy!"
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1718
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
That's a nice photoshop job. Who is that supposed to be? Napoleon?


"If you set out to take Hoth, take Hoth," Or "Why the Empire totally could have won the Galactic Civil War at Hoth, but ultimately screwed it up," by Napoleon Bonaparte. Very Happy


Which is worse: Hoth in summer or Russia in winter?


I suppose it depends on which one can kill a tauntaun faster at nighttime. Razz
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 7914
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several new Mandalorian avatars were added to the _Other gallery.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 7914
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rian Johnson to direct Mandalorian Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Game over!
We lost our beloved Franchise.

I just hope the rumors are not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF7P6jGT2AE

I don't think so. Rian Johnson is not a bad director. The questionable part was the choices he made in his story writing. The impression I got from both seasons of The Mandalorian was that the scripts for each episode are already written before the director is assigned. If so then he would just be handed the script and have to direct it.

The other things is, this show already jumped the Carkoon in Season 2 so is there any real damage he could do if he is involved in writing? The bar is set much lower for this show than extending the Skywalker Saga. I think he'll probably do ok.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DougRed4
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1913
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that he is not a bad director (Knives Out was quite good).

I disagree that S2 was worse than S1; in my view it was as good if not even sometimes a little better. I think The Mandalorian continues to fire on all cylinders.

But I don't think there's really any concern that he will do anything along the lines of his typical "subvert expectations" role like he did with TLJ. The showrunners have a lot of influence on this show, and it's not like he's been given a film to do what he wants to.
_________________
Currently Running: Villains & Vigilantes (a 30-year-old campaign with multiple groups) and D&D 5E; mostly on hiatus are Adventures in Middle-earth (two groups), D6 Star Wars and Delta Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 7914
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Part of the issue with with each DT film was maximum director creative control. That was necessary because everyone was saying no to directing them. This show doesn't have that problem.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1718
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Right. Part of the issue with with each DT film was maximum director creative control. That was necessary because everyone was saying no to directing them.


Good gawds, was that the reason the Sequel Trilogy turned out to be a chain-mail-writing dominoes disaster that could have had its narrative choppiness averted with a simple outline? Because no one wanted to direct them?
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 7914
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Right. Part of the issue with with each DT film was maximum director creative control. That was necessary because everyone was saying no to directing them.

Good gawds, was that the reason the Sequel Trilogy turned out to be a chain-mail-writing dominoes disaster that could have had its narrative choppiness averted with a simple outline? Because no one wanted to direct them?

Yes. In short...

They tried to get one person to do the whole trilogy, and they got no takers. They started offering them out piecemeal, and they were still not getting any takers. Even Abrams said no the first time. When they came back around to Abrams and he finally said yes to the first one, they tried again to get him to do more than one and he said absolutely not. So they had to offer max creative control over each director's film just to even get three directors. Johnson asked Abrams to make several changes to TFA to better line it up to TLJ, and Abrams said he complied with some but refused others. I truly think that Johnson only had a "do not kill" character list he had to comply with. (Luke, Ackbar, Snoke, and Phasma were obviously not on this list.) Then after Carrie Fisher died they fired the third director because Kennedy didn't like his solution in his screenplay, and she roped Abrams back into the third film after not planning on concluding the trilogy he started, scrapping the original third director's plan and contradicting both prior films (even his own first story in the chain). See this thread for more information.

The Mandalorian has overarching management and a season plan directors have to be on board with. It is really nothing like the DT except that it is supposedly set in the same post-RotJ timeline. Rian Johnson will probably be fine. But I admit I did gain a new appreciation for him after seeing TRoS and re-watching the trio.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said yes but nobody asked me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness though Rian Johnson directed the best sequel so it's fine by me. His other works are good. He's a director, not the all-being top down creator. He'll direct the actors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0