The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Trek!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Star Trek! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this new movie for 2023, the only thing known so far is that Abrams will be directing it, but no details at all about what the plot is, who will star in it, or if it's in the Kelvinverse or Prime Timeline or even something else entirely.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trek/Voyager Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So we're shipping now? I love the Doctor and he does have a deep friendship with Seven. But since Seven's character arc was to reclaim her humanity, I can see why she ended with an actual human and not The Doctor. The problem was just that it felt tacked on with Chakotay. But maybe you're right and the Doctor would have been better. He was shown to be married to a human in the original timeline changed in the final episode..

IF i was to 'ship" i would say "let kim finally get some luck in love..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trek/Voyager Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Seven was one of my fave characters on the show...

I always thought her and the Doc were good...

So we're shipping now? I love the Doctor and he does have a deep friendship with Seven. But since Seven's character arc was to reclaim her humanity, I can see why she ended with an actual human and not The Doctor. The problem was just that it felt tacked on with Chakotay...

They made several steps to separate her from the Doctor as a romantic partner. IIRC, there was an episode where he tried to start something, but she demurred. Then the episode where he was briefly able to take over her and abused the privilege.

Both kind of had a "finding their humanity" arc... tying them would not, IMO, have served those arcs. She and Chakotay mostly didn't work because they didn't write anything decent for Chakotay after season 2 or so.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trek/Voyager Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
They made several steps to separate her from the Doctor as a romantic partner. IIRC, there was an episode where he tried to start something, but she demurred. Then the episode where he was briefly able to take over her and abused the privilege.

Correct.

MrNexx wrote:
Both kind of had a "finding their humanity" arc... tying them would not, IMO, have served those arcs.

Agreed.

MrNexx wrote:
She and Chakotay mostly didn't work because they didn't write anything decent for Chakotay after season 2 or so.

Not writing better for Chakotay one of my biggest disappointments with the show.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am growing more interested in that "icheb" kid...
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trek/Voyager Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:
She and Chakotay mostly didn't work because they didn't write anything decent for Chakotay after season 2 or so.

Not writing better for Chakotay one of my biggest disappointments with the show.

They mostly wrote s*** character arcs.

Janeway didn't have much of an arc, but she usually got decent writing.
Kes got interesting things to do before she was written off.
Seven and the Doctor got interesting arcs... two different takes on the finding humanity trope, and the Doctor also got the (primarily season 6, IIRC) arc where they were dealing with sentient holograms a lot, while Seven got a mix of Borg and non-Borg episodes about her development.
B'lanna was occasionally given something to do, usually when they needed someone techy to be a prisoner.

Tuvok, to my memory, often had something to do and a fairly decent characterization.

But Kim, Paris, and Chakotay got nothing. Paris would get the occasional "Tom does something crazy" episode, but there was no arc. He also got some lines any time they needed someone to program something holographic. Harry got the occasional "Harry wants to belong" episode, but there was no arc.

Neelix was just a horrible character.

They just didn't write most of their characters well, or with much attention to development. Heck, that's perhaps the most Star Trekky thing since TOS... the fact that the characters don't change all much through the seasons.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am growing more interested in that "icheb" kid...

Yeah, about that Icheb kid, don't get too attached to him... Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trek/Voyager Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

B'lanna was occasionally given something to do, usually when they needed someone techy to be a prisoner.

I like the ep where her unborn, was the 'chosen one of the prophecy' for that group of klingons..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony of a Star Wars Forum where the most active topic in the past 48 hours is Star Trek...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The irony of a Star Wars Forum where the most active topic in the past 48 hours is Star Trek...

I got bad news last weekend about a game I was really into, so I'm between creative obsessions at the moment. I'm sure I'll find some damn fool idea to start fighting about soon.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Maybe this is because since folks are not gaming as much as normal, theyre looking at old videos/dvds of past seasons of trek... Just to get juices flowing?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, about that Icheb kid, don't get too attached to him... Shocked

He made to the end of Voyager, so I guess he is in Picard and something happens to him. This is why it sucks being so far behind. But the first season of Picard concluded over a year ago so it is not like I can complain about spoilers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

To be fair, we've kind of discussed Star Wars to death here. LoL Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally done with voyager. Was rather disappointing in the ending for the final 2 eps (endgame).. IMO it should have been at LEAST 10 minutes more long, to show them actually GETTING a proper homecoming.. Maybe tom, b'alanna and the new child could have met admiral parris. Maybe we could have SEEN the captain getting promoted to Admiral.
So much possibility, but so much missed.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends from one of the 3D forums who I have done some work with over the years has leaked some of the VFX from the new Voyager movie in production, and the effects are spectacular. This is not for the feint of heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-i6TOqB0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: