The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creature: Wandrella
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Creature: Wandrella
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Creature: Wandrella Reply with quote

Still plugging away at SotME. Here are stats for the giant monster. Please comment and make suggestions on what works and what does not, and how to fix it.

Note: I don't know, I think this thing is more than 20 meters. Wookieepedia lists it at 10-15, the book as 15. This image which I think is closer appears to me to be more than 20 meters. Especially if that image only shows have the beast. If so, I put it at more like 80 meters. Thoughts anyone?

Quote:
WANDRELLA
Giant worms native to the plains and swamps of the planet Mimban, a sparsely populated, largely unexplored world, allowing the Wandrella free to roam over much of the planet. Notorious for their simple intelligence and rudimentary thinking, the Wandrella are omnivores with only basic tactics in hunting, demonstrated by their charging headlong after prey, flattening anything in their path.

Wandrella have phosphorescent, cream-colored bodies with brown streaks, thick hides, plated underbellies, and reach lengths of fifteen meters or more. Their heads consists of dull eyes set in a large group of haphazardly-spaced spots similar to those of a spider, and powerful jaws surrounding a mouthful of jet-black teeth set in large concentric circles. Wandrella are slow to react to outside forces, possibly due to their nervous systems being too evenly distributed throughout their large mass to provide a vital center.

Wandrella
Type: Plains and swamp predator
Planet of Origin: Mimban
DEXTERITY 1D+2
PERCEPTION 1D
Hide: ambush, search 3D+2
STRENGTH 7D
Brawling 5D
Special Abilities:
Bite: The Wandrella has a devestating firm, crushing bite doing STR+1D damage.
Body Slam: The Wandrella can lift 10 meters of its body and head off the ground, then slam its body towards the ground doing STR+2D damage to anyone struck by its body.
Primitive Nervous System: The Wandrella's primitive nervous system does not register damage efficiently and does not suffer negative modifiers from damage. Furthermore, they are slow to react and suffer a -1D to initiative rolls.
Gargantuan: Because of the Wandrella's size treat it as speeder scale.
Move: 10
Size: 10-20 meters in length
Source: Splinter of the Mind's Eye (N), wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Creature: Wandrella Reply with quote

The image is from the comic adaptation of the novel. What is more important to your purpose here? Having the image serve as inspiration for GMs to use the creature in their games? Or being a faithful game adaptation of the original novel? As a GM, regardless of the source I personally like having an image to represent whatever I stat out, so that is important to me.

A simple solution is to just be all-inclusive of the novel and the comic by having the size be 15-80m. You can indicate that the creatures keep growing in size with age and they usually don't live long enough to grow bigger than 80m, or that the 15m one is a very young one and as adults they can reach up to 80m. Then you can have some stats be in ranges, or sets of stats for multiple size ranges.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that creature looks sort of cute in that pic Smile

Like the write up and stat block, really looking forward to the Splinter of the Minds Eye source book. I enjoyed that novel quite a bit.

If you wanted growth sizes, you could just list a wider range of creature size or up the scale to speeder when they get to full size.

On a side note, shootingwomprats, the Hide: Ambush skill has no D rating.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
On a side note, shootingwomprats, the Hide: Ambush skill has no D rating.

Oh my. Thanks for the editorial assist.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another editing correction/comment/question/thingie: If a specialty like Hide: ambush is listed, shouldn't the parent skill of Hide also be listed as well? Every time I've seen a specialty in a WEG book, the parent skill is also listed and both are always greater than the attribute dice code as well.

That's how I've been editing all the stats for all the D6 fanbooks I've been involved with anyway. Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Here's another editing correction/comment/question/thingie: If a specialty like Hide: ambush is listed, shouldn't the parent skill of Hide also be listed as well? Every time I've seen a specialty in a WEG book, the parent skill is also listed and both are always greater than the attribute dice code as well.

That's how I've been editing all the stats for all the D6 fanbooks I've been involved with anyway. Shocked

Hide is the parent skill. FYI, it is not required to have the base skill above the attribute to have a specialization. Functionally, skill specializations work as skills themselves, and they can be raised directly from the base attribute according to the rules for allocating starting skill dice and improving skill specializations. It may be common in published stats for characters to also have the base skill above the attribute when they have skill specializations, but that is not a requirement of the rules.

I wouldn't allow ambush as a specialization of hide for a sentient character, but this is a creature. However, since it is a creature that is only going to use the skill according to its specific instinctual behavior (which can be fluff), I wouldn't bother with the "ambush" specialization and I would instead just stat the creature out with the base hide skill being the value you wanted the creature to have in its ability to hide for ambushes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is brawl Lower than its base strength?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Because it would kill any human scale creature even with the -2D modifier. Also, I don't agree that animals should have a brawling equal to their Strength. They are dumb animals, the Wandrella is exceptionally dumb.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
SWRPGGM
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

the Wandrella is exceptionally dumb.

I've used swipe in the past for some creatures rather than brawl for this reason. Dumb animals bat and swipe. When I think of brawl I see it as punching with focus on the maximum power.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWRPGGM, welcome to the Pit!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Because it would kill any human scale creature even with the -2D modifier. Also, I don't agree that animals should have a brawling equal to their Strength. They are dumb animals, the Wandrella is exceptionally dumb.

You could always make it Speeder or Walker-Scale, so that the Scale Penalty offsets the high Strength when attacking smaller targets.

EDIT: Went back and double-checked the Star Wars Sourcebook Creatures Chapter, and almost all animals are actually considered Creature-Scale (effectively Character-Scale), but the Stat Block Summary on the first page does mention that animals can be larger in Scale if needs be (only the Space Slug actually has it written in its stat).

IMO, WEG really should've taken advantage of the trade-offs of the Scale Rules when writing stats for larger creatures. Banthas and Dewbacks are easily large enough to be considered Speeder-Scale, and a Rancor is certainly big enough to be considered Walker-Scale.

Also, this is another argument in favor of putting Brawling under Dex, as having extremely high Strength creatures shouldn't automatically make them good fighters.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWRPGGM wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

the Wandrella is exceptionally dumb.

I've used swipe in the past for some creatures rather than brawl for this reason. Dumb animals bat and swipe. When I think of brawl I see it as punching with focus on the maximum power.

That puts more focus on what WEG named the skill than on what the skill is used for, specifically, all unarmed attacks. Brawling probably wasn't the best word choice because it implies a certain kind of unarmed combat, even though the skill description itself makes no such distinction.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: