The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Podracing Stat Blocks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Podracing Stat Blocks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Some Podracing Stat Blocks Reply with quote

I was thinking about making stat blocks for a typical podracer pilot, mechanic and podracer.

I envisioned the mechanic as a rough and tumble type, quick to get into a scrap protecting his pilot and/or team, by grabbing the nearest hydrospanner and clocking someone. I also thought they would be able to design systems and such for podracers.

The pilot is of course the pilot and the "face" for the team. He has some mechanical and design skill, but for the most part, he lets the mechanics do mechanic stuff and he does piloting stuff. I figured the podracer pilot is probably a speed junkie and would be pretty proficient in both repulsor vehicles and especially swoop bikes.

Which reminds me, going back to the mechanic, I figure they would have some experience piloting driving those styles of vehicles, 1. because the pilot may want his buddies to ride with him, and 2. sometimes you need to take a vehicle out and to figure out if there is something wrong with it.

So, here are the stat blocks and I would love some feedback. Keep in mind these are meant to be typical of their archetype. In my games it goes: Novice, Typical, Experienced, and Veteran.

The podracer is nothing special and it open to modifications.

Quote:
Podracer Mechanic (Typical): all stats 2D except for:, brawling parry 3D, melee combat 3D, melee parry 3D, planetary systems 3D+1, Mechanical 2D+2, pod racer operation 3D+1, repulsorlift operation 3D+2, swoop operation 3D+2, brawling 3D, Technical 3D+2, engineering: podracer 2D, podracer repair 5D+2, repulsorlift repair 4D+2.
Source: Stats by Emperor Ollie

Quote:
Podracer Pilot (Typical): all stats 2D except for: Dexterity 3D, Mechanical 3D+2, podracer operation 5D+2, swoop operation 5D+1, search 4D, Technical 2D+2, podracer repair 4D+1.

Quote:
Podracer (Typical)
Craft: Podracer
Type: Podracer
Scale: Speeder
Length: 7.5 to 27 meters
Skill: Podracer Operation
Crew: 1
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 5 kilograms
Cover: 1/2
Altitude Range: Ground level up to 85 meters
Cost: 18,000 (new), 14,000 (used)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 260; 750 kmh
Body Strength: 2D+1

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were a better mechanic to represent how difficult they are to operate. In general, I mean; nothing against the stat post.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wish there were a better mechanic to represent how difficult they are to operate. In general, I mean; nothing against the stat post.

I don't understand. Are you saying the podracer repair 5D+2 is not high enough? That the Typical stat block in not "beefy" enough? That there are skills missing or don't exist in RAW? C'mon buddy, gimme something to work with here.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean a better game rule for how challenging it's supposed to be to pilot these things. "Mechanic" in this context is not referring to Pod Racer Repair, but rather to the game rules used to represent piloting a Pod at maximum speed.

Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill you could maybe impose a penalty to a character who doesn't have the specific Podracer skill when piloting one.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
CRMcNeill you could maybe impose a penalty to a character who doesn't have the specific Podracer skill when piloting one.

The problem is making it skill-based is that it opens the door to pod-racing being a skill that could potentially be learned by anyone, when the canon is pretty specific (or at least heavily implies) that it takes super-human reflexes of some sort to do.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Xain Arke wrote:

The problem is making it skill-based is that it opens the door to pod-racing being a skill that could potentially be learned by anyone, when the canon is pretty specific (or at least heavily implies) that it takes super-human reflexes of some sort to do.

When I did it in my game, I added 3 uncertainty dice. Characters with something that could offset the difficulty (extra arms, sense dice, etc.) were able to mitigate one of them per such advantage (one character cheated by integrating a MSE-6 droid brain into the control pod for example).

It might be a decent idea to introduce Hazard dice as well, like used in jury-rigging (basically a wild die where the 1 counts as a mishap of some kind and the 6 doesn't explode), but the potential of the difficulty being much higher than it normally would be was enough to make my players quite wary at those speeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: