The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creatures and Scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Creatures and Scale Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Could these rules be adapted to special situations like a massive swarm attack?
Hundreds of small/medium creatures treated as one walker/capital ship opponent?

And this concept on another scale (pun intended)... There is a species in Hellas (a Hellenic history/mythology inspired space opera RPG), where individuals of the species are actually a hive of insects lead by a queen, who work together to achieve a humanoid form and act as a sentient "person." That's on my to-do list to adapt to Star Wars. Each wound status kills some insects of the hive, and healing involves procreating more insects to replace them. The hive altogether has character-scale.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like the Cree-Va from D6 Space (see the Aliens book, pg. 89).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Could these rules be adapted to special situations like a massive swarm attack?
Hundreds of small/medium creatures treated as one walker/capital ship opponent?

I’d prefer to stat the individual creatures as smaller-than-Character-Scale (in the area of -8D or more), then give them an equivalent of a Coordination bonus based on the size of the swarm.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
IMO, any natural attack that allows a creature to "hit everybody" or get a bonus on attack or damage should always come with a trade off.

Not all trade-offs are - or should be - quantifiable in a stat, though. The Rancor’s trade off may be that it has to eat 100 kilograms of meat per day, and not some sort of combat weakness.

Quote:
My original suggestion was to allow the creature to modulate it's scale modifier (up to it's max damage, while taking a reciprocal penalty on its attack).

It may end up having that effect, but I'd prefer to phrase it in terms of some other form of bonus that offsets the Scale penalty.

Quote:
But another idea could be to consider the creature "over extended" during/after the attack, imposing a penalty to its reaction skills for the round. Coupled with the RoE attack/damage rules, this could give smaller attackers the opportunity they need to win ("wait for it to try to bite, then shove the spear into it's mouth!"... or some such).

This somewhat dovetails with my current concept for Brawling and Melee combat, where a single roll of Attack / Reaction covers an entire round of combat, but trying to do both at once incurs a -2D penalty (-1D each for MAP and CAP, but the penalty can be eliminate by choosing to go either Full Attack or Full Defense. In this case, certain, more effective attacks - such as claw sweeps or bull rushes - could be offset by requiring the attacker be unable to make a defense / reaction roll to counter.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe then, for larger critters, when they DO attack they can attack Multiple targets with NO maps!?

Or perhaps they can ignore MAPs equal to their Scale modifier, in order to keep it from getting out of hand.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
IMO, any natural attack that allows a creature to "hit everybody" or get a bonus on attack or damage should always come with a trade off.

Not all trade-offs are - or should be - quantifiable in a stat, though. The Rancor’s trade off may be that it has to eat 100 kilograms of meat per day, and not some sort of combat weakness.

OR maybe after performing said 'sweep attack', if it DOES manage to grab someone, it MUST spend 1d rounds, trying to eat him, before it can attack someone else..

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Maybe then, for larger critters, when they DO attack they can attack Multiple targets with NO maps!?

Or perhaps they can ignore MAPs equal to their Scale modifier, in order to keep it from getting out of hand.

That's a better compromise.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
...There is a species in Hellas (a Hellenic history/mythology inspired space opera RPG), where individuals of the species are actually a hive of insects lead by a queen, who work together to achieve a humanoid form and act as a sentient "person." That's on my to-do list to adapt to Star Wars. Each wound status kills some insects of the hive, and healing involves procreating more insects to replace them. The hive altogether has character-scale.

Sounds a lot like the Cree-Va from D6 Space (see the Aliens book, pg. 89).

I think there is a very good chance that Jerry was inspired by the Cree-Va when designing the Myrmidons. I haven't asked him about it, but he is a long-time, multiple game licensee of the D6 System (but Hellas is unfortunately is not D6-based).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I get deeper into this, I just wanted to make a quick post about what sorts of skills Creatures might have access to:
    DEX
    -Brawling Parry
    -Dodge
    -Pick Pocket (think Monkeys or Raccoons)
    -Running
    -Thrown Weapons (rocks or sticks)
    KNOW
    -Intimidation
    -Survival
    PER
    -Hide
    -Search
    -Sneak
    STR
    -Brawling
    -Climbing/Jumping*
    -Lifting
    -Stamina
    -Swimming*
    *species dependent
    TECH
    -None, but potentially some species-specific skills for basic construction (beavers are a prime example)
Other skills may present themselves, such as a Burrowing skill under Strength to accommodate subterranean creatures like the Graboids from Tremors.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see in the case of pets (or "animal companions" for characters whose concept revolves around the "ranger" or "druid" type) creatures also having the persuasion or bargain skill, attempting to manipulate their master with "puppy dog eyes" or displays of affection (like cats rubbing up against their owner while purring in order to get strokes along the head or back).

Or perhaps holding out on a task unless a treat is offered, etc. This may or may not come into play with creatures as opponents, but could come into play if trying to "tame" an otherwise hostile creature or when training an animal.

Some such instances may be covered by the PC's persuasion/bargain skill, with the animal simply rolling willpower to resist (might want to add willpower to your list).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As I get deeper into this, I just wanted to make a quick post about what sorts of skills Creatures might have access to:
    DEX
    -Brawling Parry
    -Dodge
    -Running

I could see adding melee, for those who are large enough to pick up a branch to use. Same for melee parry.

CRMcNeill wrote:
KNOW
-Intimidation
-Survival

I might add in languages (A # do speak), and maybe willpower.

CRMcNeill wrote:
PER
-Hide
-Search
-Sneak

Seems right.

CRMcNeill wrote:
STR
-Brawling
-Climbing/Jumping*
-Lifting
-Stamina
-Swimming*
*species dependent

And flight for those with wings.

CRMcNeill wrote:
TECH
-None, but potentially some species-specific skills for basic construction (beavers are a prime example)Other skills may present themselves, such as a Burrowing skill under Strength to accommodate subterranean creatures like the Graboids from Tremors.

I could see some having a minimum level of first aid...
Maybe a tech skill, to represent them building their homes..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
KNOW
-Intimidation
-Survival

I might add in languages (A # do speak), and maybe willpower.

Willpower seems to be a factor of a creature's orneriness code.

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
As I get deeper into this, I just wanted to make a quick post about what sorts of skills Creatures might have access to:[list]DEX
-Brawling Parry
-Dodge
-Running

I could see adding melee, for those who are large enough to pick up a branch to use. Same for melee parry.

Now we are getting into sentience. If I had to stat out great apes, I would stat them as full characters (thus with willpower and not orneriness). Star Wars seems to have a less blurry line between "creatures" and "characters." Are there any film creatures that should even have melee skills?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancors. That's the only one i know of.. But it's been a great many years since i even READ the creatures guide.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about ornriness...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Now we are getting into sentience. If I had to stat out great apes, I would stat them as full characters (thus with willpower and not orneriness). Star Wars seems to have a less blurry line between "creatures" and "characters." Are there any film creatures that should even have melee skills?

I'd be more inclined to go with a Special Ability of "Prehensile Limbs", which allows a Beast to pick up, throw or make simple movements with objects because it can grasp them (which not all animals can).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some consideration of the size-and-combat issue, I've mostly settled on giving larger creatures a bonus to Brawling equal to 1/2 of their Scale to account for the greater size of the weapon being used (headbutts, giant claws, etc). The two options would be to either insert it straight into the Skill list by applying the bonus to the Brawling skill, or to include it as a special feature based on the creature's size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: