The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Magnetic Hall Trap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Magnetic Hall Trap Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Imperial (and most likely thus clone trooper armor) was often said to be ceramic composites. Power armor and the like, i can EASILY SEE being metal. just like most bounty hunter armors..

Just ignore me. I'm used to it.

I posted BEFORE i saw your comment..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Imperial (and most likely thus clone trooper armor) was often said to be ceramic composites. Power armor and the like, i can EASILY SEE being metal. just like most bounty hunter armors..

Just ignore me. I'm used to it.

I posted BEFORE i saw your comment..

Your reply was 7.5 hours after mine. That's some slow internet there, buddy. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more i wrote it, then pressed send, before i finished reading what everyone else wrote..
Macavity
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I very much doubt that, with all the other technological advancements in the SWU relative to the RW, armor tech advancement would’ve stagnated to the point of still using ferrous metal plates, save for all but the most primitive of worlds. Stormtrooper or clone trooper isn’t particularly special; it’s mass produced to provide a decent level of protection for troops that are ultimately expendable. There’s no reason natural-borns wouldn’t have access to the same or better.

Most armor might be plastoid like clone-trooper and stormtrooper armor, but we know that Mandalorian armor made of Beskar (or Mandalorian iron) at least is metal - as are droids (we saw magnets used to pick up C3-PO and R2D2
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but even with the word “iron” in the name, there’s no guarantee that it will be affected by magnetism. Iron may even just be a colloquialism based on other properties.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
True, but even with the word “iron” in the name, there’s no guarantee that it will be affected by magnetism. Iron may even just be a colloquialism based on other properties.

Hence why for traps like that, i'd just go with Gravity plates, and RAISE the gravity level say by a factor of 4....
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Yep. Beskar is a fictional metal, but nothing from the show is coming to mind to indicate whether beskar is even magnetic or not.

garhkal wrote:
Hence why for traps like that, i'd just go with Gravity plates, and RAISE the gravity level say by a factor of 4....

Ding ding ding, evil GM for the win! A magnetic trap could work for droids as Macavity indicated, but gravity affects all matter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the relevant CW episode, the intended effect of the trap was to disarm, not immobilize. The fact that it also worked on Anakin’s bionic hand was an unintended side effect. Everybody’s blasters and lightsabers suddenly got yanked up to the ceiling, leaving them to face commando droids unarmed.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Yep. Beskar is a fictional metal, but nothing from the show is coming to mind to indicate whether beskar is even magnetic or not.

IF it is, perhaps a weapon could be made that MAGNETIZED the armor, so all blasters in a short range (say 3-5 meters) gets PULLED ONTO THEIR armor.. STR roll at a high diff to pull it away.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IF it is, perhaps a weapon could be made that MAGNETIZED the armor, so all blasters in a short range (say 3-5 meters) gets PULLED ONTO THEIR armor.. STR roll at a high diff to pull it away.

That sounds like an awfully bespoke weapon to just have sitting around in case you have a need for it...

I could see something like the magnetic grappler from the Total Recall reboot, though; fires a projectile that locks onto the target and allows the gunner to reel them in / fling them about, etc. It'd allow some duplication of a tractor beam effect without taking tech miniaturization too far.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I could see something like the magnetic grappler from the Total Recall reboot, though; fires a projectile that locks onto the target and allows the gunner to reel them in / fling them about, etc. It'd allow some duplication of a tractor beam effect without taking tech miniaturization too far.

I have the Total Recall reboot. Good movie. I'm gonna have to rewatch that sometime, but after I rewatch the Arnold version.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: