The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: The High Republic (Project Luminous)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: The High Republic (Project Luminous) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good insight.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could take full credit, although the frame of the idea came to me when I saw Yoda clutch his chest as the Jedi started being gunned down by the Clonetroopers.

By the time that I saw his pod hit Dagobah, I knew at that moment that he had finally realized that, no, "Wars not make one great."
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the official High Republic opening crawl...

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/crawl_gallery_7cf800ba.png
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Wonder if the Hutt Slave Armies are still around at this time.

I'd love to see Hutt Battle Armour become canon.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to the comic shop once since the pandemic started, but I put the first issue of the HR comic book on my pull list. I chose this variant cover because none of the other covers seem much better and this one has Yoda on it. It's being released on January 6th. I probably won't pick it up until the weekend after.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda hoping my library picks it up electronically.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping High Republic solves a 40-year mystery: the name of Yoda's species.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Here's hoping High Republic solves a 40-year mystery: the name of Yoda's species.

Really? At this point I find that it doesn't even really matter to me. Any name they give now will probably sound more wrong to a lot of fans than the blank. Some mysteries are better as mysteries than being solved. But then again, it is a bit annoying to keep saying, "Yoda's species." I always liked to think that they were a dying species and Yoda was the last. An adventure I ran last year had Yaddle in it as an NPC, and at the end she went to fight Vader to give some Jedi younglings time to escape from the Jedi Temple. Only the beginning of the battle was shown, but Yaddle was already heavily wounded before fighting Vader, so you know she didn't survive.

Now if the High Republic has a major villain of Yoda's species, then for some reason I think it might make more sense to name the species, since we know it will have Yoda in it too. It might be cool to have a non-Force-sensitive member of the species, unless they really are all Force-sensitive.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've only been to the comic shop once since the pandemic started, but I put the first issue of the HR comic book on my pull list. I chose this variant cover because none of the other covers seem much better and this one has Yoda on it. It's being released on January 6th. I probably won't pick it up until the weekend after.

My comic shop saga

I am not a regular collector but shops are afraid of being overstocked so they don't order a lot more than what they need to fulfill their pull lists. After several years of using a comic shop I decided to try two that were closer. The one right by my church had a minimum # of comics to pull so I went to another one that didn't. After not ordering anything in a while, they deactivated my pull account on their end. Online it doesn't tell me it is deactivated and lets me use it. I put the first High Republic comic in my pull list a couple months ago.

The comic came out this past Wednesday. I sent a message to the shop asking if it was ok that I not pick it until next week due to being under quarantine until then. The reply I got said they don't have my pull because they deactivated my account and don't have any more copies of any cover variations, so it is too late. But he reactivated it and said they may have a 2nd printing of the comic I would pull. I merely asked if they would try to get me a copy of the first printing since it was not my fault they closed my account without telling me, and I expected a no answer but it never hurts to ask. The dude suddenly went from zero to a-hole, saying that he was deactivating my account again and they would never pull for me again. Wow. I've read reviews and many others have commented on their lack of manners, so it isn't just me.

I will never give them any business again, and I am in need of a new comic shop. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop by church to see if they may have changed their pull policy, and if so then I will go back to the third closest comic shop to pick up my comics (It's been a few years but they pulled for me when I didn't get that many comics, so they probably still will.)

Anyway, I didn't get the comic and I'm not going to, at least not the variant cover with Yoda. I think it is a six issue limited series, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get the trade paperback when it comes out but that probably won't be until late this year at the earliest.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

My headcanon is "Ys"

1) It is an allusion to a mythical city swallowed by the ocean
2) It is the pronunciation of the official "name", "Yoda's Species".

That said, I started Light of the Jedi today. I'm not far in, but it's been a nice read so far... start with some characters to impress the gravity of the situation on you, then bring in the Jedi. This is sort of the ideal of the Republic and the Jedi... the Republic is using its resources to help as many people as they can, and the Jedi are there to fill in the cracks and edges, bringing peace and justice to what of the galaxy they can manage. The Jedi are at the zenith of their powers and, at this point, there's no sign of the rot that sets in by TPM.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

That said, I started Light of the Jedi today. I'm not far in, but it's been a nice read so far... start with some characters to impress the gravity of the situation on you, then bring in the Jedi. This is sort of the ideal of the Republic and the Jedi... the Republic is using its resources to help as many people as they can, and the Jedi are there to fill in the cracks and edges, bringing peace and justice to what of the galaxy they can manage. The Jedi are at the zenith of their powers and, at this point, there's no sign of the rot that sets in by TPM.

After two lunches, I'm a bit more than a third of the way through the book. Again, I'm enjoying it so far. They've introduce the bad guys to the reader, though the Republic doesn't know it yet, and the connection between the bad guys and the disaster that forms most of the first quarter to third of the book isn't clear. But, we've seen the bad guys, and we know they're bad guys.

I'm not finding it slow, partially because of POV cuts between the small chapters. The book, to this point, is mostly about what seems to be a natural disaster (though the reader knows it is not, and the characters figure it out) and the Jedi trying to prevent it from getting worse. There's self-sacrifice and honor and folks trying to protect themselves at the expense of others. It's been a good read and, as I said, very much part of the ideals of the Jedi and the Republic. I'm not sure it's exact timing, but Yoda is alive and a master so... maybe 200 years before ANH? At a guess? (just checked; 232 BBY, so 200 years before TPM).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

After two lunches, I'm a bit more than a third of the way through the book. Again, I'm enjoying it so far. They've introduce the bad guys to the reader, though the Republic doesn't know it yet, and the connection between the bad guys and the disaster that forms most of the first quarter to third of the book isn't clear. But, we've seen the bad guys, and we know they're bad guys.

I'm not finding it slow, partially because of POV cuts between the small chapters. The book, to this point, is mostly about what seems to be a natural disaster (though the reader knows it is not, and the characters figure it out) and the Jedi trying to prevent it from getting worse. There's self-sacrifice and honor and folks trying to protect themselves at the expense of others. It's been a good read and, as I said, very much part of the ideals of the Jedi and the Republic. I'm not sure it's exact timing, but Yoda is alive and a master so... maybe 200 years before ANH? At a guess? (just checked; 232 BBY, so 200 years before TPM).

So, the protagonists are just finding out that there's something else out there, but they don't know about any involvement with the disaster... they're not even 100% sure what caused it.

Reading it, I'm enjoying a few things. First of all, this time period (~232 BBY) is being established as the origin of bacta, displacing the selkath's kolto; a nice call-back to Knights of the Old Republic, and indicating how long kolto has been the primary healing solution.

Another aspect, though, is showing that Jedi have very different conceptions of the Force. Some Jedi have special talents or unique viewpoints, but they all have their own analogy of the Force; one hears a song, another a sea, another a flame. It's not presented as one being better than the other or anything like that, just that they all see it differently, which influences how they interact with it. One who sees it as a sea views it as inexhaustible, and sees no reason not to use the Force for little things. The one who senses it as a song is more reserved with it, perhaps not wanting to disrupt the song more than she needs to. It makes the Force feel more alive... they can all be Jedi, and all see it as different things (none of them have yet mentioned an energy field that binds the galaxy together), but all use it within their own viewpoint.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, one thing that is keeping the action level up is a kidnapping subplot... the Nihil (a pirate group with some unique technology) is kidnapping a family from a prominent clan, hoping for a good ransom. This has three Jedi and a Padawan trying to help save the family.

On the one hand, this feels semi-pointless... I don't see how this thread particularly ties into the greater story, save that some of those involved in the earlier rescue are doing the rescuing here, and that the same group of bad guys is involved... but it is contributing a few things that go to characterization. We're seeing more about the Nihil organization, getting some neat pseudo-horses (stelle, which have metal hooves), and getting more of that variety of Jedi that I like. At one point, they're confronted with something called "mole mines", and the three Jedi all deal with them in distinct ways, showing some differences of experience and approach. It's some great and fun characterization, and gives the feel of the characters, and the Force.

I mentioned this earlier, but I like that they're showing these different approaches to the force. Obi-Wan's early comment in ANH has really driven the conception of the Force... an energy field connecting all living things... but these provide some new insights into other ways it could be conceptualized by different people. Obi-Wan's energy field is somewhat tech-flavored, and I have to wonder if it doesn't somewhat flow from Qui-Gon's midichlorian measurements... which could be viewed as simply another way of conceiving the Force.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up attempting to read Light of the Jedi. I was enjoying it, but lack the time and physical space to keep reading. So, instead, I got it as an audiobook, and will start reading it in the car.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the vicinity of where I stopped reading Light of the Jedi, now, and I'm still really enjoying it. It feels a bit more immediate with the narration, and I'm able to demi-concentrate on it while I'm driving in an empty car.

One thing that struck me, that others might not agree with, is some similarity to Tom Clancy's Hunt for the Red October... side characters who might get little more than a few lines instead getting some development as to their interests and motivations. I was reminded of Hunt for the Red October and Clancy name-checking Sierra On-Line games when following one of the techs, but there's also the elements of "We have a wide view, but the characters are figuring out what's going on, and we believe their current ignorance." I think one of the things contributing to that is we still haven't learned one of the central mysteries, set up in the first few pages. It clearly ties into the plot... Soule has reminded us of this once... but we don't know how, yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: